• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Type R FN2 - Electrics or LCD at fault?

I have an FN2 that’s had this fault since I’ve owned it. It’s never bothered me before but I’ve just had the Aircon serviced and regassed which means it now works and I don’t want the A/C on all the time.

I know that there can be problems with the LCD time/radio display. Now mine it doesn’t go unreadable. What it does is flick off and on usually with bumps. Sometimes it’s super sensitive, sometimes it’ll just stay off. This is slightly different to what others have had so I wanted to know if anyone else had these symptoms and if it turned out to be the lcd?

The only other thing that makes me wonder if it’s solely the lcd is sometimes the stereo backlights aren’t always on, though just to be clear they don’t flicker off and on with the lcd. Also some times if I push the stereo upwards slightly that will bring the lcd back but I guess that’s because I’m pushing up on the whole unit.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Those LCD units are renowned for dry joints. If you're handy with an iron, refresh all of the solder and it usually sorts it out.

Thank you, so from that I take it you think that it’s definitely the lcd unit as well?
I know they’re renowned for dodgy soldering. I wanted to double check the symptoms before taking it all apart etc.

The LCD unit will likely be at fault, though since you say the lights on the headunit don't match the intermittent screen, you've likely got two faults that have occurred around the same time.

Back