• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 2017 - HEADLIGHTS WON'T ADJUST HIGH ENOUGH!

Hello everyone and happy new year!

I started my year with my car failing its 1st mot sadly. The front headlights are too low and even when manually adjusting with a screwdriver in the engine bay they are not high enough to pass mot.
I cant find any adjuster inside the car and I have searched all over google but have had no luck.

If anyone has any idea how to get them higher please let me know asap as I have 0 MOT!

Many thanks to all

Chris

Last edited by a moderator:
Guessing if it was just on its first MOT it would still be just under warranty? Take it back to Honda.

I can only see it being either faulty light units, badly fitted or incorrect bulbs or it has been poorly put back together after front end damage. Honda will obviously help with the first.

Guessing if it was just on its first MOT it would still be just under warranty? Take it back to Honda.

I can only see it being either faulty light units, badly fitted or incorrect bulbs or it has been poorly put back together after front end damage. Honda will obviously help with the first.

Thank you for the reply, Indeed it was its 1st mot, As of midnight I cannot drive the car to honda but tomorrow I will remove the lights and inspect further. Halfords didn't have a clue, they were looking for an adjuster in the car then gave up. I am the 2nd owner so maybe the previous owner fit the lights upside down? I had this in a celica I bought years ago. I will give Honda a call tomorrow also and will update this thread if I get a solution

Thanks

Chris

Thank you for the reply, Indeed it was its 1st mot, As of midnight I cannot drive the car to honda but tomorrow I will remove the lights and inspect further. Halfords didn't have a clue, they were looking for an adjuster in the car then gave up. I am the 2nd owner so maybe the previous owner fit the lights upside down? I had this in a celica I bought years ago. I will give Honda a call tomorrow also and will update this thread if I get a solution

Thanks

Chris
Official line here, if your MOT has expired you are allowed to drive by the most direct route to a pre-booked MOT appointment.

Book it in at Honda for a test and get it up to them if it's nothing obvious you can see on your driveway. :smt023

Does the FK2 have rear suspension headlight adjusters? Maybe that's where the issue is.

So after checking, They both look perfect, sensors are also plugged in. Is there a fuse or relay for this? If so anyone know where to look?

Also spoke to Honda who said my car is out of warranty even being a 2017 and I would need to pay £150 for them to look at it.

After taking it to another test centre after wrecking my brains for days. It passed with a clean sheet, They asked where I took it for MOT and I replied Halfords Enfield and they told me what a bunch of crooks. turns out there was nothing wrong with the headlights or adjusters in the 1st place. Will be reporting them to DVLA and demanding a refund from halfords tomorrow.

Thank you for all your help my fellow Type R family members :)

After taking it to another test centre after wrecking my brains for days. It passed with a clean sheet, They asked where I took it for MOT and I replied Halfords Enfield and they told me what a bunch of crooks. turns out there was nothing wrong with the headlights or adjusters in the 1st place. Will be reporting them to DVLA and demanding a refund from halfords tomorrow.

Thank you for all your help my fellow Type R family members :)

Glad you got that sorted, Sounds like Halfords can only be trusted to change wiper blades :p

Well if nothing else you've had a nice crawl under your car to check those rear suspension headlight adjusters :lol:

Fresh MOT now though :D

The Headlights are automatic on the fk2 they are self levelling.Yes the mechanism for this is under the car at the back. The mechanism is known to seize and if it does needs a new part. So it just needs lubricating now and again. Sorry for a late reply, I haven't been on the forum for quite a while. Regards Fred

Honda do mot tests and the price is fixed by the gov im sure I paid £45.00. So they cant overcharge you.I think its best to take your fk2 to honda as they usually know what and where to look So you shouldnt get the problem youve experienced. I dont understand Halfords saying the beams were low. Part of the mot is to test the headlights, and is done with a beam setter. So was there something wrong with their equipment? as the 2nd place you went to must have checked your headlights with their beam setter and found them to be correct.
If you require any Parts or oil etc I find the best place to go to is Cox Honda Parts in Morecambe.In my opinion they are the most competitively price approved Honda Part supplier, and have an excellent service even under lockdown.Also as a member of this forum they offer an extra 5%. You just have to quote your member name and they will apply that to your account. They are extremely competitive to start with and plus the extra discount is a bonus. Regards Fred.

Or if you want to buy local get the price from Cox and see if you dealer will match it - works most times.

Cox are not local but can deliver within a few days.
Why should we give the local Honda dealer the business when their prices are miles higher in the first place. Cox take the lead here for me for applying the best prices in the first place! Regards Fred.

Or if you want to buy local get the price from Cox and see if you dealer will match it - works most times.
I find my local pretty much matches Cox from the outset - It's all taken from the same Honda pricelist anyway (Unless they take the piss with markups).

Can be quicker / cheaper too, as there's no delivery costs to collect and they're only a 15 minute drive away. - They've got the usual service bits in stock, too.

Back