• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fit a Vtec light

You will need:
- Wire - 18AWG min.
- Tap Splices
- 1 - 5mm LED (pick a color)
- 1 resistor (330, 470, 680, 1K OHM, you pick)

Here goes...
Remove the cowel in the passenger footwell under the glovebox.

Then you will see a shiny silver box with a lot of wires going to it... that's the ECU. On the middle plug (it's white) you should see a green wire with a yellow stripe in the top center pin. That's the VTEC wire. You need to put a tap splice on it.... trace it back a few inches (there is only 1 green/yellow stripe wire) and put the tap in place.

1.jpg

The other wire you need to find is a suitable ground.
Figure out where you want the LED to be. I wouldn't put it somewhere high in the car, it'll be on more than you think. Put it somewhere you can see out of the corner of your eye. Drill a 4.8/5mm hole and put the LED holder in (no need to glue)... be careful where you pick, you need to be able to get to it from behind.

2.jpg

Time to set the LED up. You need to put the resistor in series with the ground lead of the LED (for those who don't speak electronics, you need to hook up one resistor lead to the shorter lead on the LED and the other end to the wire you grounded). I used heat shrink tubing, but soldering also works. I wouldn't use electrical tape. Wire the other lead from the LED to the wire you tapped into the ECU with. Boom.... done

3.jpg

4.jpg

Once I get mine off Recog I will do another one. Dotty where do you host your pics as I cant link mine from fotopic :?

zeffania said:
Once I get mine off Recog I will do another one. Dotty where do you host your pics as I cant link mine from fotopic :?

Really? how many of these are you going to be installing !?! :shock: Do you mean once your girfriend has finally installed hers and you watch and tell her what to do, you can do yours? :lol:

I was just looking at this thread and wondered if anyone has done this using the alarm LED light which is located at the bottom of the instrument panel dials?

Would it just be a case of linking the light to the Vtec wire?

i thought of that and most likely could make it work but suspect it would still flash:mad:, that was why i installed the miniature led in the clocks as this is very discreet and still looks great, imo

Buy a 12v led from a store like halfords I used to use ultra bright miniature led's in a pack of 4 for £5, then get a 470k resistor (this is to make it not as bright for fitting in the clocks but not all led's will require this), red scotch lock and a blue crimp lug with a 5mm hole in it.

Now solder the resistor to the negative - wire then crimp the blue lug to the other side of the resistor.

DSCN0903.jpg

There is a resistor soldered in the blue lug to dim the led so its not to bright at night

Use the instructions below
Installation instructions for VTEC indicator light for EP3 Civic Type R

The position for the light here is the Instrument Clocks. Whilst installation may be similar in other models, caution is advised. No responsibility is accepted for any damage occurring as a result of installing this product.

You will need

1 x VTEC Indicator Light Kit
Set Of Pliers
Small Flat Blade Screwdriver
Positive Screwdriver
10mm Spanner
Blade Or Wire-Strippers
Insulation tape
6mm Hss Drill Bit And Battery Drill

In this installation, access to two wires is sought:

1. VTEC ECU wire
This becomes 12V +ve @ Vtec rpm Level (Colour: green with yellow stripe)

2. Negative (-) ground (car body)

Fitting Instructions

Decide where you are mounting your VTEC Indicator Light
And drill a 6mm hole (I mounted mine in the clocks which involved removing the clocks and stripping them down to dill the hole) another good and very easy place to mount the so you carefully just flick it out. Once the 6mm hole is drilled push the outer case of the VTEC Indicator Light into the hole. Once this is secured push the VTEC Indicator Light into the case. Now you have done this thread the cable behind the dash to the ecu

Tapping into the ECU

Open and drop down the glove box then remove the cover beneath glove box to expose the ECU and connecting wires. There are three modular connector blocks plugged in.The centre modular connector block is white plastic and has a Green wire with a Yellow stripe. This is the VTEC wire; it becomes a 12V + when VTEC rev point is reached. Cut the binding insulation tape on the bundle of wires to access the VTEC wire. Now use the blue splice supplied to connect the supplied red wire to the green/yellow wire. When a secure splice is obtained, clip the splice housing together and secure with insulation tape. Re-bind the bundle of wires with insulation tape.
WARNING: There is also a YELLOW wire with GREEN stripe. This is the Fuel pump wire.
Connect the supplied Negative (Black-) Ground wire to a suitable place e.g., Beneath an exposed bolt or screw in contact with the car’s metalwork.
Now when you drive your car and you reach your Vtec rpm your VTEC Indicator Light Kit indicator will glow.

If you require your LED to be brighter please cut out the resistor in the negative (-) ground wire Lug

Replace the panels and glove box And Enjoy

If i am right it is the same Green wire with a Yellow stripe on all vtec engine Honda's for the vtec 12v+

5304_12-1.jpg

VtecIndicator.jpg

I don't mean to sound like a lemon, but what's the point?

I can tell when I hit VTEC by the horrific noise of the Mugen CAI :lol:

You don't feel a surge of power? My DC2 sure does like fook when I get over 6k. Really is a difference.
You do feel a surge, but thats only because the power drops just before the cam change. Just look at any standard Type R dyno and there is a dip in power at 5800 for the CTR for example.

is the shorter spoke on the led the negative??

and does the resistor have to be put on the negative wire (-) shorter side of the led?? what happens if its put on the (+) side??

and is it best to have the resistor as near as possible to the led or further away??

Last edited by a moderator:
mmm I'm very much feeling the love for this clever little mod. Also very drawn to the S2kesk start button.....mates got one in his DC2 can't say i ever fully appreciated that until right this second..........

ive just done this mod. . . its a nice little feature :D
ive got a little 3mm 3000mcd brightness rating blue led in a little chrome holder positioned just above the gear gator between the hazard and cig lighter :D
i soldiered 2 resistors in series to the the negative side of the led. . but i don't think it matters if its on - or + its visible during day and bright at night but not too bright!

only tricky bit was, that i did not realize that their is a cover under the glove box just above were your feet go. . so removing this uncovers the lower part of the ecu box were the connector were you need to tap the green/yellow wire is lol :D

Hello all, time to revive the thread! I am just wondering if my interior under-dash LEDs can be linked to the vtec wire. Definitely a marmite decision, but i think i would love to see bits and bobs of my interior glow red or hot white whenever the engine is pushed hard. Would make me smile definitely, probably not for alot of you though! :p

Anyway, i had a word with a friend of mine and he told me that depending on the current of the vtec wire, it may be ok to do. The LEDs i'm using under my dash are Prism Black Daytime Styling Lights. I am prepared to buy a new set of lights if that is what is needed, but really, all i want is to be able to set up a few sets of LED's to my vtec wire instead of just a single LED.

If it's not too much of a hassle, would like somebody to help me on giving me on instructions to work around this. Thanks in advance!

Darren

Hello all, time to revive the thread! I am just wondering if my interior under-dash LEDs can be linked to the vtec wire. Definitely a marmite decision, but i think i would love to see bits and bobs of my interior glow red or hot white whenever the engine is pushed hard. Would make me smile definitely, probably not for alot of you though! :p

Anyway, i had a word with a friend of mine and he told me that depending on the current of the vtec wire, it may be ok to do. The LEDs i'm using under my dash are Prism Black Daytime Styling Lights. I am prepared to buy a new set of lights if that is what is needed, but really, all i want is to be able to set up a few sets of LED's to my vtec wire instead of just a single LED.

If it's not too much of a hassle, would like somebody to help me on giving me on instructions to work around this. Thanks in advance!

Darren

You could always use a relay to reduce the current draw when you switch all your lamps/LED's on. :)

Back