• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FAQ

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
This FAQ post has been made to cover some of the most common questions asked by our members!

Please note that the FAQ's are posted in no particular order so you may have to search for the question you need answering.

If your question does not appear in the list below there are several things you can do to find the answer:

A) Use the SEARCH button at the top of the forum.

B) Check out the specific section dedicated to your question (eg. Air Induction,Petrol and Oil , ICE etc )

C) If all else fails and you can’t find an answer, post your question in the specific section and someone will endeavour to answer it for you.

If you believe there is an FAQ which should be included in this list, or you believe there is a better answer to an FAQ already listed please PM the information to a Moderator who will update this list.

Thank You

The Admin and Moderators.

FAQ:FORUM RELATED

I posted something but it has disappeared

If for example you posted something about an exhaust in the Petrol and Oil section then it has more than likely been moved by one of the moderators to the correct section (in this example to the Exhaust Section).

If your post was considered to be threatening or very NSFW it may well have been deleted.

What do all these strange words like iirc mean?

These are called acronyms and are just a way of shortening a commonly used expression to save typing.
Some examples you may find on this Forum are:

iirc = if i recall correctly
imo = in my opinion
imho = in my honest opinion
wtb = want to buy
pmsl = ****ed myself laughing
rofl = rolling on the floor laughing
rotflmao = rolling on the floor laughing my arse off
ffs = for feck sake
nsfw = not safe for work
nws = not work safe
atm = at the moment
afaik = as far as I know
btw = by the way
glwts = good luck with the sale

Why did my Versus/Speeding post get deleted?

This forum does not and will not encourage the posting of threads relating to street racing or excessive speeding. We all know the capabilities of the Type R family so why do we need to tell all and sundry about our exploits.

What is whoring?

Whoring is when someone starts a thread or posts in a thread with the simple intention of increasing there post count. This can be as simple as posting lots of smilies (acceptable in the Jokes section but not helpful anywhere else)

What is a Troll

A Troll is someone who joins the Forum with the sole intention of posting rubbish and/or causing trouble .

FAQ:TYPE R RELATED

What does CTR stand for?

Civic Type R

What does ATR stand for?

Accord Type R

What does ITR stand for?

Integra Type R

What does JDM stand for?

Japanese Domestic Market

I have heard people talking about a JDM CTR. What is this?

This is the Japanese Domestic Market Civic Type R. This is not avaliable in the UK unless you import one. The JDM is different from the UK CTR in a lot of ways. See below for specs

What are the differences between the a JDM and a UK CTR.

The differences between the JDM and the Euro CTR are quite significant .

*=not standard on Euro CTR

SAFETY EQUIPMENT
- For driver's seat & SRS air bag system for submarine seat
- The EBD (the electronic control braking effort distribution system)
- ABS (4 wheel anti lock brake system)
- LED high mount stop lamp
- Bumper beam & door beam
- The front 3 point type overload limiters you attach, the pre- tensioner -
the ELR seat belt
- Rear 3 point type ELR/ALR (child seat fixed mechanism) seat belt
- ISO FIX corresponding child seat fixed private bar (rear left and right
seat)

COMFORT EQUIPMENT
- EPS (electromotive power steering) + VGR (variable steering gear ratio)
- Tinted Windows (low Ultraviolet)

INTERIOR
- Recaro Corporation make bucket seat (front) *
- Leather 3 spoke steering wheel by MOMO *
- Aluminum shift knob (instrument panel shift)
- Aluminum pitch center panel
- TYPE R console emblem
- Red floor mat & door lining *
- Foot rest (driver's seat side)
- Cup holder (front / rear)
- 6: 4 divided yes falling down type rear seats

EXTERIOR
- Aero forum bumper (front / rear)
- Large-sized tail gate spoiler
- Body same color side sill garnish
- TYPE R private HONDA emblem (front / rear)
- TYPE R emblem (front / rear) / decare (side)
- U.K. Emblem (rear) *
- Red engine head cover
- Mist mechanism attaching intermittent front wiper
- Body same color electromotive remote control door mirror
- Micro antenna

TIRE/WHEELS
- High grip tire (205/45r17 84w)
- Private aluminum wheel (17×7JJ)

OPTIONAL COMFORT PACK (sold with 99% of JDM cars)
- Air Conditioning (Manual)
- Power windows
- Power door lock (tail gate gearing)
- Radio wave type key less entry system (welcome lamp functional attaching)
- Map lamp
- Rear shelf
- HID headlight (high / low beam) *
- Privacy glass (rear quarter / tail gate) *
- Washer attaching intermittent rear wiper

OTHER:
Travelling-related mechanism
- Private hard setting suspension
- Torque response type helical LSD *
- Front large diameter ventilated disk brake
- Rear disk brake
- Strut tower bar (front / rear)
- Thicker Anti-Roll Bars.

ENGINE:
K20A Specification *
Peak Power Output (kW [ PS ] /rpm) - 158 [ 215 ] /8,000 *
Peak Torque Output (N m [ kg m ] /rpm) - 202 [ 20.6 ] /7,000 *

The JDM engine is uprated and contains JDM springs, valves, pistons
etc plus it also has a smaller cat.
There are also different gear ratios and mapping in the Japanese car, along with a different intake and exhaust manifolds as well.

Also, the JDM car has a different wiring loom , so many electrical bits,
like the HID lights, won't just 'plug in' to a UK CTR.

The JDM is also group 20 insurance in the UK.

Chassis Codes

Chassis codes are commonly used to describe which variant of Honda/Type R the post is talking about. For a list of Type R chassis codes, please click the following link:

Chassis Codes

I have just bought a new EP3 Civic Type R and was wondering whether I need to or how I break it in.

The manual recommends that you don't use rapid acceleration for the first 600 miles and that you are light on the brakes for the first 200. What exactly this means is down to interpretation. People have revved the nuts of it since day one, and have reported no problems, whilst others prefer to try and stay within the handbook recommendations (e.g. not flooring the throttle and keeping below 4000 rpm for the first 600 miles). Varied driving and frequent differences in speed and braking will help your new car a lot.

What happens if I hit the rev limiter ?

Not a lot apart from the car will appear to stall momentarily.The limiter is there to stop the engine getting damaged. Bouncing off the limiter now and again wonÂ’t harm the engine but try not to make a habit of it.

When first starting my CTR, my engine idles at around 2000rpm, is this normal?

Yes. The CTR has a high idle speed when the engine is cold.

What do people mean when they refer to VTEC'ing?

It refers to driving the CTR with engine revs between 5900 and 8200rpm. This is the 'power band' of the CTR and where the engine runs on the high profile cam.

My car does not engage VTEC properly or it engages it late.

The CTR is very dependent on oil, and if this is low the engine will sometimes exhibit strange characteristics. Frequent oil checks are STRONGLY advised.

How does VTEC work??

VTEC (which stands for Variable Valve Timing and Lift Electronic Control) is an electronic and mechanical system in some Honda engines that allows the engine to effectively have multiple camshafts. As the engine moves into different rpm ranges, the engine's computer can activate alternate lobes on the camshaft and change the cam's timing. In this way, the engine gets the best features of low-speed and high-speed camshafts in the same engine

My CTR has trouble going into second gear when it is cold.

This is a known issue and should be fixed by your dealer under warranty.
They will have a bulletin from Honda UK about this problem.

What are the service intervals for the CTR?

12500 miles or 12 months whichever comes first.

Can I get an extended Warranty for my CTR and what does it cover?

Yes you can. Contact your local dealer or Dave S on this Forum.

Can a towbar be fitted to the CTR?

NO!! The CTR has a zero towing limit - The suspension has been known to collapse when fitted with a tow bar because it cannot take the weight being loaded onto it. If you fit one your warranty is null and void on your suspension and considering thats one of the CTR's weak points in terms of warranty claims I wouldn't risk it.

What are the difference between a 30th Anniversary and a standard CTR?

The 30th Anniversary is a more exclusive CTR in that only a 100 were built for each of the colours at that time...... Red, Silver and Black. This was only available in the pre-facelift CTRÂ’s. The 30th Anniversary cars had the following differences:

*Red Carpets and recaros
*Air Con as standard
*Rear tinted windows
*Rear 30AE badge
*Momo steering Wheel

What are the differences between a standard CTR and a Premier CTR?

The Premier was a run out model of the CTR with the following additions
Momo Steering wheel
Two tone recaros (not the same as 30AE!)
Different cloth on back seats
Red mats
Tinted windows
"Type-R" logo on calipers

I have heard something to do with 'pre-facelift' and 'facelift' CTR's.
What are the differences?

The facelift model was introduced in 2004. There are roughly 1500 changes, however the main ones are:

Lighter flywheel.
Additional sound deadening.
Different front and rear light clusters.
Different front bumper.
Red door inserts and red inserts on the seats.

What oil should I be using in my CTR ?

If the cars brand new then you should be putting in 10-40 semi synthetic up to the first service. After the first service it depends on what your dealer puts in but ideally it should be changed to 5-40 fully synthetic. See the Oil section!

How often should I top up my oil ?

The manual says you should check your oil every time you fill up. There are two holes in the dip stick these represent the max and min levels of oil. There is roughly 1 ltr of oil between the two marks and the oil should always be kept toped up. This also aids in better Vtec when the oil is at its max.

What petrol should I use ?

Either Unleaded or Super Unleaded can be used in the CTR most people use Super UL.

How many miles should I be getting from a tank ?

This really does depend on your driving style. When running in you will be getting less to a tank than a CTR that has done about 5000 miles. On average a CTR doing part motorway and part town driving should expect to see between 290 – 330 miles. The personal record so far is 440 miles, worst as low as 130 miles!

Checking Tyres

Air Pressure
*Tyres can be easily damaged if the correct air pressure is not maintained they lose pressure over time which causes irregular tread wear and shortens tyre life.
*Fuel consumption and steering control can also be affected if the tyres are under-inflated or over-inflated.
*The easiest way to check tyre inflation is to inspect them regularly.
If the tyres squeal when you go around corners at normal speeds you may have low pressure in one or more of your tyres.
*Remember to check your spare tyre regularly.
Always check and adjust tyre pressures only when the tyres are cold.
*Tyre pressures for your vehicle can be found in the manufacturers manual or try looking for a plate around the driver or passenger door aperture.

It is advisable to rotate your tyres at least every 8000 miles as varying loads and different driving styles will in most cases wear down one tyre quicker than the others, you can check your car manual for advice on tyre rotation or take a look at our simple diagrams for guidance always consult a professional if you are still unsure.

Normal tyre pressure for a CTR running on OEM Bridgestone tyres is
32 lb/ft front and 30 lb/ft rear.

I want to modify my car; How will this affect the warranty?

Like any mods you do to your car it all comes down to the dealer. Some dealers will kick up a fuss and others will not. However whatever modification you do, it can only affect that specific part of the warrenty ie if you have an aftermarket exhaust fitted and the window does not shut they (the dealers) can't complain!

I have recently installed ICE and/or had the battery disconnected and the auto up/down power window feature does not work anymore (facelift model only).

You need to reset the system. To do this turn on the engine, press and hold the switch to the down position and wait for the window to fully open. When it is fully open wait another couple of seconds and then release. The system should be reset now.

What should be my first mod?

That is your choice entirely.
The best thing to do is to ask lots of questions and get yourself to meets and shows.That way you will get to meet like minded people and see and hear first hand what they have fitted to there cars.You can then judge better what might suit you.

Just kerbed my alloys.......where can I get a good repair done.

www.chipsaway.co.uk or www.wickedwheels.co.uk

My brakes are rusty. Is this bad??? What can I do to get rid of this???

All bare metal rusts without a form of protection over it, obvious to say, break disc's do not have paint or lacquer etc on them because it will drastically reduce their efficiency! Just take the car out for a drive and use the brakes a lot! This should remove the rust. Until the rust is removed you will hear a strange kind of grinding noise.

What size speakers fit???

6.5" speakers fit front and rear. Depending on the size of the speakers cage you may require spacers for the front (Vectra/Astra Spacers)

What speeds can be achieved in a standard ctr in each gear?

Actual speed

1st 35mph
2nd 55mph
3rd 76mph
4th 101mph
5th 126mph
6th 146mph

Remember the speedo is approximately 10% out.

I hope this section is benneficial to you. If anyone feels that something is incorrect or needs updating please contact a moderator.

Thanks,

Chris.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back