• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil questions and recommendations here

Hi

A 5w-30 is not wrong, it's just not always the best option. As VTEC engines can burn a fair bit of oil when they are driven hard, a 5w-40 slows the consumption a bit. If it doesn't burn oil (some don't) a 5w-30 is fine anyway, you might just find that it burns a drop with the 5w-30.

Cheers

Tim

A full synthetic offers the best protection and is less likely to burn off than a semi, but a semi-synthetic tends to be the cheaper option.

Cheers

Tim

10w 40 semi synthetic, what would that do that's what was just put in my car after an engine swap.... I'm not sure about it

How much better is the Fuchs Titan GT1 over the Supersyn? I've always used the GT1 but just been reading and seems a lot of people run the Supersyn on here.

I use my car daily 50mile round commute and am running a 5w40, cars at 80k, am I best to keep with the GT1?

Thanks

The GT1 meets more up to date specs than the Supersyn, but they aren't a necessity for a Civic. The GT1 has got the XTL technology to improve film strength as well, but other than those couple of things there isn't much in it.

Cheers

Tim

Thanks Tim, Am I best off saving my money and going for the supersyn then?

A friend has also just recommended the motul 8100 x-cess which he uses on his s2000. How does this compare to the two fuchs oils?

I have a f20 in a project car I will also be ordering oil for.

Thanks

Hi

As there is only £4 in it, I would say go for the GT1 as it's designed for long term (up to 20k miles) in certain cars. As you are covering a fair few miles, it makes sense to me to use something that will easily cope with the distance.

The X-Cess is between the specs of the Supersyn and GT1. Another to consider is the Shell Helix Ultra 5w-40, which meets similar specs to the X-Cess, but is a couple of quid cheaper and comes with a free litre at the moment.

Cheers

Tim

34 pages on what oil for a ep3...can someone let me know what oil is best for my 05 ep3 ctr. Standard at present but looking to lightly mod and get it chipped to rev abit higher.thanks

My bad i googled what oil for ep3 and it came up with a link to this thread, found it in the faq post sorry.

What oil should I be using in my CTR ?*

If the cars brand new then you should be putting in 10-40 semi synthetic up to the first service. After the first service it depends on what your dealer puts in but ideally it should be changed to 5-40 fully synthetic. See the Oil section!*

Last edited by a moderator:
I phoned up quickfit and asked what oil they would be using and they said semi synthetic 5w30 or 10w40 semi. @£56 I am tempted to buy halfrauds 5w40 fully on brand for allot cheeper and have the mechanic at work do it for me for a drink.

Back