• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil questions and recommendations here

1 x 5ltr Pro S 5w-40 £36.49 (with all current discount) + £6.45 carriage.

Cheers

Guy

Hi there just done an oil change on my 2001 ep3 and gone with the shell listing and used a shell helix 0w-30 fully synthetic will this be ok?

Hi there just done an oil change on my 2001 ep3 and gone with the shell listing and used a shell helix 0w-30 fully synthetic will this be ok?
It won't do it any harm but it is a little thin so may burn off quicker, just check the dipstick once a week and you'll be fine.

Thanks bud you replied to my other query too, well it's only staying in for a short stint and having fresh in a few thousand miles as before me it had a fairly long stint without being changed so I think I'll go for a 5w 40 mobil 1 next time round

Neily03 is correct, it will be fine. ust may use a little more then a hogher viscosity oil (5w-40).

Cheers

Guy

usefull info. on oils i found on the net.

http://www.supramania.com/aehaas
have a read through this article.
it suggests that 0w - 30 oil is best for type r, it could even be run on 0w - 20 if it was just town driving you were doing?
But read it and make your own mind up about it?

really, usefull to know.
it shocks me that my honda garage put 10w - 40 in my engine, i am going to find some 0w - 30 oil and run it on that!

thanks will bear them in mind. dont know why but was after mobil oil?
but i guess castrol will be fine?

WHY ARE ESTERS SO GOOD?

They assist the additive pack in a motor oil formulation because they are surface-active (electrostatically attracted to metal surfaces), so they help to reduce wear and friction.

They are fluid at very low temperatures and at high temperatures they are very chemically stable and have low volatility (don’t evaporate away).

They also help to prevent hardening and cracking of oil seals at high temperatures.

Cheers

Guy

hi oilman/all,

i was wondering what i could use as a top up oil for a CTR for normal everyday driving. 5w 40 was put in at the last oil change but i dont know which brand. im guessing it wasnt the good stuff, as the oil level has gone down about 1.25 litres after 3000 miles judging by the dipstick. i recently topped up with a litre of Castrol Edge Sport 0W40. i will probably get silk at the next change, but until then what should i top up with?

cheers!

Just use shell helix ultra 5W40 - available at shell petrol stations for about £13 for 1l.

The same grade oil would be a start, if 5w40 was in there then IMO 5w40 should be used to top up.

oops, thought i read somewhere it would be ok to mix them as long as they are compatible. >< ah well too late now

oops, thought i read somewhere it would be ok to mix them as long as they are compatible. >< ah well too late now

It'll be ok, but just IMO it would be best to keep like for like.

It's like mixing tyre brands front and rear, it'll be ok but it's not ideal.

Oil recommendation from the man from spoon!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATk8TIx_-Y

Check out this video lads. The old dude on the left is the main man from spoon and has some very useful info regarding engine and gearbox oil. If you have never seen these guys before then watch some more of their videos, they are brilliant, they just spend all day every day thrashing cars around the local japanese circuits.:smt045

Back