• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Oil questions and recommendations here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ATk8TIx_-Y

Check out this video lads. The old dude on the left is the main man from spoon and has some very useful info regarding engine and gearbox oil. If you have never seen these guys before then watch some more of their videos, they are brilliant, they just spend all day every day thrashing cars around the local japanese circuits.:smt045

Change your oils frequently, engine and gear and DON'T flush!

Totally agree.

Cheers
Simon

Yep thats ok, give it regular changes. My only gripe with the Magnatec is it is over priced for what it is.

Cheers

Guy

Here in Bulgaria it gets to minus 15/20 degrees in winter and up to 45 degrees in summer, what oil would you recommend for me?

If you are not doing lots of miles and want to use something a bit more flashy then the longlife stuff then yeah, it can be a good thing.

Cheers

Guy

hi oilman,
would castrol EDGE be a good oil to buy of the shelf??
0w 40?
sorry,for use in a facelift CTR
cheers

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Guy,

I spoke to a mechanic at a garage and he suggested i used 10 w 40, It has already been topped up, however not an entire litre.

Am i doing more bad than good?

Thanks

Its not going to do any harm, all oils mix.

The 10w-40 is likely to be a semi synthetic, so if you are already running a synthetic the only downside is diluting the better of the two oils.

Cheers

Guy

sorry i am sure this has probably been asked but i havent long bought a 52 CTR no mods with 47k on the clock, it had very little oil in it so i bought a litre of 5w40 havoline stuff, is this right? i want to buy whats best really but this was a quick fix

Yes mate, that is fine to top up with.

Cheers

Guy

what oil would you recommend if i bought 5 litres of the stuff, also im a bit confused when it comes to synthetic, fully synthetic and semi synthetic when buying as i dont know what the vtec needs. i dont mind you plugging your own oil by the way lol

Back