• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Common Civic Faults

dont know if its a common fault or just me but had to take my 02 ctr in today as went to fill up with petrol yesterday and couldnt open the fuel flap.
pulled the lever and nothing happened! the little handle by the seat had come away from the wire that opens the flap so just a question of putting it back on.
still doesnt want to open first time every though so may have to take it back again.

rattle coming of the engine

does that rattling happen when your going up through the gears, and its not always there. it almost sounds as if its coming from under the drivers
seat, its pretty annoying. any ideas on how i would fix this and how much
it will cost.

does that rattling happen when your going up through the gears, and its not always there. it almost sounds as if its coming from under the drivers
seat, its pretty annoying. any ideas on how i would fix this and how much
it will cost.

Probably one of teh heat shields.

Drive shaft, cat shield, outlet mani. Possibly inlet mani i-VTEC cover.

I've had both of the first two, and need to put some washers under my i-VTEC cover now to stop that.

rattling coming from engine

ok cool mate ** see if i can get it sorted with this. wont cost me much will
it.

Probably one of teh heat shields.

Drive shaft, cat shield, outlet mani. Possibly inlet mani i-VTEC cover.

I've had both of the first two, and need to put some washers under my i-VTEC cover now to stop that.

Windscreen Whistle- I have this, is it safe to drive?

Here is a list of common faults, that have been found on Civic Type R's
Don't think from this thread the Civic is an unrealiable car, but these are the these are some of the more common faults to be found.

No VTEC kick:
If you canÂ’t feel the VTEC kick you need TO CHECK YOUR OIL. The K20A engine can us a bit of oil. Some use more than others, personally mine didnÂ’t use any then suddenly dropped. The VTEC changeover will not happen if the oil pressure is to low so you need to keep an eye on your oil. Also you need to ensure you get the engine warm as well. A good rule of thumb is have the engine running for 10-15mins before you rev past 5800RPM

Rattle from the Engine:
There is a common fault that one of the heatshields rattle at varying revs usually 3-4K RPM. There is a similar rattle that is sometimes caused by the silver covere that has the VTEC label on it. This is well know about at the dealers and will be fixed under warranty no problem

Windscreen Whistle:
This one occurs at high speeds any where between 65-100mph and comes from around the windscreen, sometimes it sounds like air rushing through the wipers.
This is fixed by resetting the windscreen seal.
The problem with this fault is some dealers refuses to test for the fault because they will have to break the speed limit.
You can try another dealer or suggest taking the technician out in the car while you drive.

Whirring sound when you turn the ignition on:
This is generally down to a fault with the headlight level motors. The whirring you can hear is the motors running when not required, but once you start the engine you canÂ’t hear them. You maybe able to stop the noise by trying to adjust the level of you headlights.
There was a recall for this defect so it will be sorted at the dealer without too much problem.

Knocking when steering on full lock:
Now this isnÂ’t always a defect. Some people experience a knocking thought the steering wheel when they have the steering on or near full lock at low speeds ie 5-10mph.
Personally I have heard it only a few times and it doesnÂ’t seem that bad. For other people the fault has been worse and was fixed under warranty by replacing the steering rack. If you feel it doesnÂ’t sound good take it to the dealer.

Drivers Window auto-function doesnÂ’t work:
On the facelift version the drivers window has an auto-function in both the upward and downward direction. This function will stop working if you disconnect the battery for any reason. To reset it close the window then open it again and hold the button in the open position for 5 seconds.

Windscreen Whistle- I have this, is it safe to drive?

hi guys

i have a type r ep3 02 model i have an overheating problem it normally starts up and is fine for 20 mins or so and the she overheats any ides what the problem could be??

cheers steve

For the windscreen and regarding the whistling, have a search online about re-fitting a screen. I had one re-fitted on my old car for about £50 i think and they came out to me.

hi does any 1 know the course of my problem ? if i drive my 02 ctr steady it drives mint no ploblems but if i drive it really hard it starts to knock on the back end . had it on the ramp and there isnt nothing noticeable . and like i say its only after i have driven it hard . thanks

hi does any 1 know the course of my problem ? if i drive my 02 ctr steady it drives mint no ploblems but if i drive it really hard it starts to knock on the back end . had it on the ramp and there isnt nothing noticeable . and like i say its only after i have driven it hard . thanks
Please no text speak.

It's likely to be the rear anti roll bar bushes or maybe the exhaust.

Should a problem with 2nd gear be on this list? Making changing from 1st to 2nd quite hard. I had my 5-6 synchro replaced (£££) when the DC5 LSD was dropped in. Really wish I had the 1-2 synchro changed as well.

Also drop links seem to fail on every car, front and rear.

Thought i`d better post here rather than start a new thread. Last night tried switching from cold to warm with the heater selector. Nothing. "ok, it`s the known issue" i thought. I open the bonnet and turn the selector by hand. Still cold air blowing. I tried the opposite side, still cold air. Has anyone had the same thing? I was reading on here for a faulty resistor but symptoms are not the same?

You'll get cold air if the heater matrix isn't getting any water in it, if it's not the resistor fault.

It could be blocked, the coolant level could be low, the thermostat could be reading wrong, the water pump could be failing or you could have a leak.

Great!! Just ****ing great.... I had a water pump changed just last week back home, and now car is in Germany! Do you think this could be related to the water pump works?

It'd be a huge coincidence if it wasn't related put it that way.

Check the coolant level, it might have just pushed some air through and need topping up.

Thanks mate. It`s a big bumper because i moved recently and don`t have any tools or place for that matter to work on my car myself... Will look into the easy stuff myself before contacting my dealer. Any idea how many Ω should the resistor read?

Not a clue if I'm honest. It might be in another thread somewhere but I've limited search with being on my phone.

Back