• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

polish your knob

I wanted a different look for my gear knob, so heres what i did :)

BEFORE:
before.JPG

Using a 14mm spanner undo the locking nut under the gear knob. The know it self will now unscrew.

Find a bolt that fits the gearknob and remove the head from it.
now screw the locking nut onto the bolt and the gearknob, tighten the nut to make everything tight. Now insert the other end of the bolt into your drill

Starting with some 400 grit wet an dry, start sanding the gearknob with the trill on high speed. move the paper all the way to the top and then all the way to the bottom. This will ensure u get an even finish.

After all the laquer is removed move onto 600 grit wet and dry and do the same again.

Do the same with 800 and 100 grit paper

After this use some wire wool and some metal polish (Autosol is good for this) on the gearknob, keep doing this till its nice and shiny

Now simply buff up with a soft cloth.

You may find the numbers on top have gone all black, using some warm soapy water and an old toothbrus will bring this up good as new 8)

AFTER:

knob1.JPG

knob2.JPG

a nice how to chris. decided to give a go this morning. only took me half an hour and am chuffed with my hard work. i didnt have any wire wool so i used some t-cut ( seems a little more abrasive than the autosol ) on a cloth before using the autosol to finish it off. got a little carried away trying to get rid of a mark out of the edge and nearly sanded the number/gate pattern off. heres my effort

the secret to good photgraphy is:- always stick your pinky ( little finger ) out while taking the photo

knob.jpg

Before

Knob1.jpg

Knob2.jpg

After

Knob4.jpg

Shorts not boxers:p
Knob5.jpg

Knob3.jpg

Night time shot with flash so doesnt show it off very well

Last edited by a moderator:
Black R my knob could do with a good buffing... if you know what i mean :p

just kidding great job thou!

Is there any danger of scrubbing the red recessed paint out if you sand it? Gonna try this myself at the weekend!

Back