• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Advice on keeping your car safe

Chris.

Founder
Administrator
Not much can be said here really apart from common sense.

Here are just a few pointers on deterring the thiefing scum.

1) Always lock your car. Self explanitory really. On most Honda's you can "deadlock" the car by pressing lock twice on the key fob. What this means is that the doors will not be able to be unlocked from the inside if someone smashes the window.

2) Report ANY suspicious activity to the police.

3) If you can afford it then fit a Tracker device. These will send out a GPS signal to the Police of the exact location of your vehicle in the unfortunate event that it is stolen. More details here: http://www.ractrackstar.com/ Fitting one of these devices should bring your insurance down as well.

4) If you live/need to visit a high crime area then take extra precations. Try to keep your vehicle as close to you when you have to leave it. Park in a well lit area and make sure that you will be able to hear the alarm should it go off.

5) Never leave valuables in sight. People WILL smash your window to grab something simple like a packet of fags or some loose change. At best take everything with you but if you need to leave something in your car then lock it in the Glove Box.

6) Hide your keys at home. You may not know it but someone might be targeting your car. The easiest way to steal it is to break into your house and steal your keys. Keep them out of sight and in a safe place. Your spare keys should be well hidden away as well.

7) A detterent such as a disclock would be advisable. This should also bring down your insurance premium.

Thats all I can think of for the moment but if anyone feels that something be added or changed then please post it here.

If you need further information then visit your local police station who should be more than happy to help.

This may all seem obvious to some, but the level of stupidity is amazing amongst drivers when it comes to the basics.

DO NOT MAKE YOUR CAR AN EASY TARGET!

NEVER leave keys on a hallway table - a long pole with a hook on via the Letterbox is a free car without any break in. :shock:

If you are going on Holiday or will be away from the car for some time consider taking action to totally disable the car.

After a chat with a Car Crime Advisor I know back in the UK it seems the most popular thing to be stolen from cars are PDA's or Sat Nav Systems.

He doesn't mean built in kits, he means the likes of TomTom Go and other after market devices.

Keep it hidden, keep it safe!

MilanoChris said:
On the facelift CTR you can "deadlock" the car by pressing lock twice on the key fob. What this means is that the doors will not be able to be unlocked from the inside if someone smashes the window.
The same is possible with the pre-facelift is it not? That's why you have to press the lock button on the fob twice.

GreeceLightning said:
MilanoChris said:
On the facelift CTR you can "deadlock" the car by pressing lock twice on the key fob. What this means is that the doors will not be able to be unlocked from the inside if someone smashes the window.
The same is possible with the pre-facelift is it not? That's why you have to press the lock button on the fob twice.

Correct. 8)

i am working in York in north yorkshire and the other day i was sleeping in the office(warehouse) just to save money,my company vehicle is a 110 defender and when i woke the next day i found that all the doors were open the front gate chain and lock had been removed (and stolen)the slealer must have been locked into the building when i locked up and stolen the keys for the landrover and the front door while i was asleep,there was no broken windows or signs of forced entry so the guy was willing to get locked into the building for upto 6 hours till i went to sleep just to get keys for defender.BUT hes must have been disturbed cause the 110 was stilll there the next day . just shows what lehgths a w@nker will goto to steal a vehicle,also he must have been within 4 ft of me to get the keys !!!

GreeceLightning said:
MilanoChris said:

Hmm. Must try this. I thought it automatically deadlocks. I certainly hear a click, and then followed by another click. I always thought the second click is the deadlock.

Captain Redbeard said:
kamion said:
GreeceLightning said:
MilanoChris said:

Hmm. Must try this. I thought it automatically deadlocks. I certainly hear a click, and then followed by another click. I always thought the second click is the deadlock.
Thread revival. :shock: :lol:

On my pre-facelift CTR the car would deadlock with one press of the keyfob. There's one clunk as soon as you press it (the normal locks), followed by the indicators flashing and then a second clunk (the deadlocks) on the last indicator flash.

AFAIK pressing the keyfob a second time (on a pre-facelift CTR anyway) arms everything except the internal sensors.

This all depends on the alarm, there were two types fitted to pre-facelift. Pre-03 cars with the alarm sensors in the b pillars have the H&P alarm and one click locks and dead locks, 03 on have the Honda alarm same as facelift, one click locks and a second click deadlocks. :wink: 8)

Captain Redbeard said:
AFAIK pressing the keyfob a second time (on a pre-facelift CTR anyway) arms everything except the internal sensors.

Great. Ever since reading this thread, I've been pressing my key fob twice so I've juts been switching off my internal sensors! :roll:

kamion said:
Captain Redbeard said:

Great. Ever since reading this thread, I've been pressing my key fob twice so I've juts been switching off my internal sensors! :roll:

Whats you key fob like?? Is it the grey honda one with 2 buttons?

Yeah, I think it's the "one press lock and deadlock" as I hear two clicks from the car. It's a 52 reg, Oct 2002.

kamion said:
Yeah, I think it's the "one press lock and deadlock" as I hear two clicks from the car. It's a 52 reg, Oct 2002.

yes you are correct. :wink:

Back