• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Advice on keeping your car safe

If anybody came upstairs with a Sledgehammer I would be able to answer the age old question " What is better a Sledge Hammer or a Samurai Sword" my money is on the sword ;)

If anybody came upstairs with a Sledgehammer I would be able to answer the age old question " What is better a Sledge Hammer or a Samurai Sword" my money is on the sword ;)

theres only one way to find out.....

snapshot20080127110618.jpg

:D

Some great tips in here, however I hope no one falls victim to a car-jacking.

I keep a cricket bat near the front door, and one in my bedroom - along with my car keys.:twisted:

A couple of times I have had the bat in my hand when I have opened the door at unusually late times to visitors :D Don't mind scaring visitors, as long as my method seems effective. :evil:

Serious note though, can't say it won't happen - given the world we live in.. But you can always hope it don't!

:D

Some great tips in here, however I hope no one falls victim to a car-jacking.

I keep a cricket bat near the front door, and one in my bedroom - along with my car keys.:twisted:

A couple of times I have had the bat in my hand when I have opened the door at unusually late times to visitors :D Don't mind scaring visitors, as long as my method seems effective. :evil:

Serious note though, can't say it won't happen - given the world we live in.. But you can always hope it don't!

If someone breaks into your house, isn't leaving a cricket bat by the front door effectively giving them a free weapon?

If someone breaks into your house, isn't leaving a cricket bat by the front door effectively giving them a free weapon?

I guess it will be the bedroom bat vs' the front door bat.. It can only mean one thing :smt047 - Duel..

"Contender reaaaaady? Gladiator Ready...? 3... 2..."

I didn't think of it that way - but Hopefully the fact that we have a locked patio, to the locked front door will provide us with enough time to organise ourselves in the event of a break in. (bats kept in the house, not the patio.. so he may have access to a timberland boot, or one of the wifes stilletos :p)

We had someone try to break in, but my mum woke and caught them in the act - they ran off.. (amateurs)

My mum thought it was me leaving the house at three in the morning and went to the door to find out where she thought I was going (thinking I was jumping into a friends car - actually the thieves).. Theives got away with nothing and probably thought, blimey didn't expect the old woman to come out looking for some! :evil:

I owned a vauxhall cavalier when i was younger. big wheels, big exhaust, thumping stereo it was my pride. I also took on a new job with a company car, paid fuel etc, so to save money the cavalier was parked and i removed the HT lead that connects to the coil. i get home from a night out at about 1.30 am and in the morning i wake up, go outside and it's gone. In pure frustration i ran up the road to see if it was there, but no. called to bill and they reply "it's already been recovered at 5.30 am from biscot rd luton and it's at j&k recovery in leighton buzzard". I give j&k a ring to make arrangements to pick it up and ask if it's drivable "yeah but you will need some wheels as they are missing" i already knew this as it was stolen for the upgrades. I still had the standard wheels from the past. I make my way to j&k to find a shell of a car, no wheels, exhaust, system, seats, carpet, even the blower vents were missing. The top of the door had been bent outwards and the steering column had been ripped off. the key barrel was missing too. I welled up and got all choked as this car took me so long to get to the way i wanted it and i knew there was something not right as the HT lead was still missing.
so for a full strip of the car plus removal of 4x locking wheel nuts and it was undriveable so it must have been towed or picked up on a 'recovery truck', taken to luton and dumped with in 4 hours. It's a good 30 min's to get to luton from my house. 10 min's to leighton buzzard.
I still think about it today and think it wasn't stollen by usual youth car robbers, but by someone who had a team of people with all the tools needed to remove locking wheel nuts and with no intention of ever starting it but making it look as if it had been.
oh, and i was charged £180 for the recovery of the car.

never had any of my cars stolen thankfully. mind you prior to my honda, all my cars have been scrappage on wheels. always worrying about my car. i'm one of these people that now has a drawer that i put my car keys in, and even then i have to hide them under a book. I am phobic about it.

I have had four Peugeots and live near Coventry.... I desperately want a Civic but I've had two of my Peugeots broken into and a Civic stands out 10 times as much. The thing with Peugeots is... well they're easy to get into - I wont put how - do many civics get broken into? I've lost two stereos but are the stereos on Civics built into the console?

Cheers

On the facelift CTR you can "deadlock" the car by pressing lock twice on the key fob. What this means is that the doors will not be able to be unlocked from the inside if someone smashes the window.

This also applies on the pre-faclift EP3 and FN2.... probably all recent Hondas I suspect.

Think ill be getting a Steering wheel lock after reading some of these stories! Always thought an alarm and fuel cut would be enough! Always keep my keys in my room!

I keep my keys by the dog, wanna steal it try driving off without hands sweetie. Mine being so old doesn't have keyfob, well not that I was presented with when I bought it (so many things missing that's probably one I'm not sure) does have an immobiliser though, well when it lets me turn it off that is. It is pretty safe where I live though, and my car is old compared to all yours so hoping I'm not in any danger of it being taken.

just read that story by snap a few years back. that is savage, I hope he got over it in the end.

would you guys be happy if your car had no alarm siren? I recently found out it was removed in my car for some reason, prob going off. The siren is very expensive to buy off Honda so im not sure if ill just leave it or do something about it. The car is left in a pretty quiet safe place btw

Both sets of my keys go in my bedside drawer every single night. And my car is neatly positioned so a bush covers view from the road. Luckily I live in a fairly low car crime area. *Touch wood*

would you guys be happy if your car had no alarm siren? I recently found out it was removed in my car for some reason, prob going off. The siren is very expensive to buy off Honda so im not sure if ill just leave it or do something about it. The car is left in a pretty quiet safe place btw
You could get an aftermarket alarm installed for around £200.

I now hide my keys in my anus, unless thieves are rapers.... they'll never find them ;)

I had a driveway post delivered today, for the sake of £90 it is quite a good investment and is another thing that will deter the opportunist. Going to install it this weekend then see if it will lower my insurance.
http://www.thesafeshop.co.uk/products/sentinel-ss-4-fold-down-security-post.html
I once had my racing trailer nicked, and whereas that was just a crappy £500 trailer, i know how much it got to me, so don't want to take a chance with my car. Though my wife says I'm paranoid. But then she wasn't raised on a council estate, so she thinks crime is a myth i think.

Back