• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Your tyre reviews

Just bought a set of Rainsport 3's getting fitted at lunch on the 1.8 family civic.

Interested to see what they are like, had the 2's in the past and was fairly impressed for a cheaper tyre.

Be better than the balding mismatched Avon's on at the moment.

Just bought a set of Rainsport 3's getting fitted at lunch on the 1.8 family civic.

Interested to see what they are like, had the 2's in the past and was fairly impressed for a cheaper tyre.

Be better than the balding mismatched Avon's on at the moment.
We have a set of Rainsport 3's as the 'wets' for the track car and I was really impressed with them!

Just been pricing up a set of 245/40R18 for a new set of wheels due soon, nice bill coming for those! Will make sure to get the XL this time!! :lol:

Have been running a set of Pilot Sport 4 on my EP3 for the last few months.

I am glad to say they are very grippy AND progressive when the grip does run out. Very good in the wet too.

However as the temperature drops lately, the grip level seems to drop much quicker than Avon. Below double digits, they just don't like it. It's expected for a set of summer tyres but something to note.

I noticed that the PS4's I've got fitted haven't got that much tread left to say they were new in April. Are they known to wear quickly?

Just looking ahead into Bob's next set of tyres.

Narrowed it down to these:
Michelin PS Cup 2 - £117.50 a corner
Michelin Supersport - £105.70 a corner
Yoko AD08 - £98.65 a corner

Thoughts from those who've used them would be welcome.

Then I'm thinking for next winter I'll look at borrowing the wheels from Dave which have Uniroyal RS3's fitted for while it's cold and damp unless anyone has had a good experience of the above over winter?

Narrowed it down to these:
Michelin PS Cup 2 - £117.50 a corner
Michelin Supersport - £105.70 a corner
Yoko AD08 - £98.65 a corner

I had the Cup 2's on my Evo. Phenominal tyre if I'm honest, but my main grip was that it was a bit on the soft side and they died on my at Croft as they were overheating. I have had better results with AD08R.

I think the Michelin would be better suited on the road if I'm honest and the AD08R has the edge on track.

Cheers Chris, should the C rating in the wet be a worry or do they do okay when you're not being a loon?

Fine for me, been driving around in the FD2 in rain and a bit of snow without any issues. Just take your time.

Vredestein ultrac sessantas are a great summer tyre and perform really well in the wet also.

I am currently running Dunlop SP sport maxx all round and they are wearing well and give good grip.

I’m a couple of months into Michelin pilot sport 4’s on my ep3. The grip is really good but the side wall feels a bit squashy in my opinion. I previously said I had a lot of wheel spin when accelerating from a standing start but I think this is due to a lack of an LSD which I’m having fitted soon. Plus these tyres now feel better once the temperature is hotter.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’m on Michelin Pilot Sport 4S’s on my M2 and they completely transformed the grip levels on the rear. I can launch using launch control and just flooring it (private road) with little to no wheel spin. The cornering capability also increased and felt much more controllable in the twisties

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

any idea what tyre to go for that has a stiff sidewall and very good wet grip for an ep3? was thinking a set of 17x7.5j wheels with 215 40 17 to minimise sidewall size/flex? maybe pump them up a bit more if required on an XL rated tyre? getting really annoyed at the prices/reviews of PS4's and Rainsports and EF1 etc... I had these bridgestone turanza's (not sure if T001 or T005) on my e36 on the front and it was insanely good in the wet and they were proper stiff yet when looking now I see the dreaded 'XL' option come up which makes me think they now sell them in soft compound? I never looked to see what mine were as they were so solid with zero sidewall flex!

Back