• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

important FAO for elephant/tesco/admiral insured peeps.

read this bizzle from a chap who posted in an INS FAQ on another forum, thought it worth sharing this knowledge ;)

You may all know this, but I got caught out so I shall post this info anyway.

Not all insurers have the same sot of policy, and some are obviously a lot worse than others in the amount of cover they will provide you.

It appears that the Admiral group and Tescos (this includes elephant.co.uk) have added a nasty little clause in their insurance quotes that bit me quite badly.

If in the unfortunately event that your car is deemed a write off, regardless of fault, they will cancel your policy from the date that they deem your car is a write off. They will offer no refund for the remaining period of your policy, and this loss is not recoverable through any of the "uninsured loss recovery services" that are available these days. This means that if you have just paid £1200 for a year’s policy and have the car written off in the first month you have just lost £1100.

The next unfortunate effect of having your policy cancelled is that you are no longer insured 3rd party on other cars. So now, not only have you had your pride and joy written off, lost the remaining value of your policy, but you are now no longer insured to take any replacement vehicles out for a test drive. There is also no form of insurance that you can buy that will cover you for a test drive (trust me I tried)

The final effect is that you have had a policy cancelled by your insurance company, and you have to tell other insurers this. Some of them take a very dim view of this, although most realise that it was not your fault that this happened.

Like I say, I have just been the victim of this when some fool pulled out in front of me and wrote my car off.

Every insurer that I have called I have asked about this situation to see where they stand. The good news is that 80-90% of the companies out their do things properly and do not cancel your policy. The ones that do are the Admiral group (including elephant) and Tescos.

:shock: Thats very poor service IMO! I suspect the insurance ombudsman will have something to say about that as well :?

shit i will ask them about this next time. I have to renew mine in june and am currently with elephant.

the deisel power isn't written off is it?

Thats could be nasty! :?

Cheers for the heads up Rossy....Tesco & elephant end to eb the cheaper ones too. For a reason it appears :?

My ins with bell runs out in two weeks (admiral company), andim tranferring it to the remainder of my elephant one.

Cant belive they are allowed to get away with that kinda practice!

Composite Guru said:
Tesco isn't part of Admiral, its part of Direct line. :D

having simply copied and pasted this info with no research i cannot verify whether any of this was true, or just someone who had an axe to grind with these companies giving it the big un over a negative experience.

not being insured by any of the aforementioned companies means i havent bothered to check it up either!

I'm with Bell so decided to check.

Section 3, 1b, Driving Other Cars:

...We will cover you...providing...

You still have your car, and it has not been damaged beyond repair, stolen nor sold.

Haven't noted anything about the policy being cancelled yet but I'm still reading through.

General Conditons of your cover

10. Total Loss of your car

If your car is a total loss, your car will become our property. All cover, including the driving of other cars extension if applicable, is then cancelled for you and any other drivers on the policy. We will deduct any oustanding premium owed to us from any claims settlement we make to you as we will have met our responsibilities under the policy.

I'd be tempted to fight them if they took the full premium from me as I would argue that the full premium is for a full years cover, and they should only be able to take a percentage of it for the period of cover provided.

It would certainly work that way if I was to cancel the policy (pay a percentage).

rossy t said:
If in the unfortunately event that your car is deemed a write off, regardless of fault, they will cancel your policy from the date that they deem your car is a write off. They will offer no refund for the remaining period of your policy, and this loss is not recoverable through any of the "uninsured loss recovery services" that are available these days. This means that if you have just paid £1200 for a year’s policy and have the car written off in the first month you have just lost £1100.

Yep....I got stung by that a while back.

I lost over £200, when my DC2 was declared a total loss following a no-fault accident.

Do not under *any* circumstances take out cover from the Admiral group.....it's simply not worth it.

WRumbled said:

You still have your car, and it has not been damaged beyond repair, stolen nor sold.

Haven't noted anything about the policy being cancelled yet but I'm still reading through.

This statement implies that if your car is written off (ie beyond repair) they will no longer provide cover (ie cancel the policy).

- Kevin.

moNoKnoT said:
WRumbled said:

This statement implies that if your car is written off (ie beyond repair) they will no longer provide cover (ie cancel the policy).

- Kevin.

Thats what it looks like to me too. Wonder if we can get A-plan here to confirm their policy? Don't have my documents with me :roll:

moNoKnoT said:
WRumbled said:

- Kevin.
That was the third party stuff, not the entire policy.

That particular statement does not imply that you will need to take out new insurance when you buy a replacement car, though a later statement does say that, as I've since posted.

Back