• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Car security?

CJN

hey guys,

At the mo im looking at some car alarms as I have the standard factory one, but am not sure which one would be good for me. :roll:

I have looked at the Clifford 650 but that costs £450. :evil:

Any ideas or recommendations on what is good and what isnt?

cheers,

CJN. 8)

http://www.car-security-online.co.uk/

Thatcham category 1 (Bronze) alarm and immobiliser Operated by remote control (one pair provided) with a secure override system operated by a digital touch key. The override is a safety feature that shuts the system down in the event of the product failing to operate or if the battery inside the remote control runs flat. The two-circuit engine immobiliser arms automatically when the engine is turned off and the alarm is set by the remote control.

All doors, the boot and the bonnet are independently protected by switches. A classic shortcut used by installers is to connect the alarm to the interior light instead. Yet if the light is turned off or the bulb has gone, this method will not activate the alarm. The system also incorporates interior sensors that adjust automatically to prevent false alarming, which happens with many other alarms. These can be turned off if you wish to leave a pet or children in the car for a few minutes but want the alarm on.

The siren, which is totally waterproof to prevent corrosion and increase the life expectancy, is 120dB the legal limit. The siren will chirp when armed, disarmed or when activated. For personal protection, this system also offers a panic facility which can sound the siren and flash the hazard lights when near the vehicle or while driving.

The remote controls are also waterproof. Price to supply and install anywhere in the United Kingdom with a lifetime warranty on both parts and labour and a VSIB certificate

£375 including VAT. RRP normally £425

I had a Toad A6106i (i think it was).........on my last car, only cost a coupla hundred fitted and was a good alarm. Go with Toads IMO as theyre slightly cheaper than Cliffords and very good 8)

For piece of mind I fitted an Alarm to my Saxo VTR.

It added onto the immobilser that was fitted to the car. It was battery backed up siren, but not Thatcham.

The only down side was the flashing LED was also the aerial so it had to be fitted to the top corner of the widescreen.

It was about £99 fitted from a local company in Norwich that came and fitted on my driveway.

A similar unit from the same manufacteur can be seen here
http://abacuscaralarms.co.uk/store/view_product.php?product=Meta HPA 3.5

wan_man said:
I had a Toad A6106i (i think it was).........on my last car, only cost a coupla hundred fitted and was a good alarm. Go with Toads IMO as theyre slightly cheaper than Cliffords and very good 8)

I was advised against Clifford alarms on my old car, even though I wanted a far more expensive one, the bloke said he spent so much of his time going out fixing Clifford's that he didn't recommend them. I got an AI606 IIRC, one of my mates had just got one for £180 fitted. Cat 1 etc etc.

CTR_Paul said:
wan_man said:

I was advised against Clifford alarms on my old car, even though I wanted a far more expensive one, the bloke said he spent so much of his time going out fixing Clifford's that he didn't recommend them. I got an AI606 IIRC, one of my mates had just got one for £180 fitted. Cat 1 etc etc.

Oo...sounds interesting.

Is there a website? im a n00b :oops:

and im looking into the steering lock aswel dotty, thanks for the reminder. 8)

We currently have Concept 650 which comes with BlackJax (anti-hijack) and Prox Sensor (warnaway) on special offer for £325 fitted. We are authorised dealers and this will come with Lifetime warranty. We are authorised dealers for all major alarm makes but always have clifford alarms on our own vehicles. Clifford only get a bad name because there are people fitting them that are not trained to standards, as clifford is more complicated to fit.

We have a CTR as a demo car and have the Viper (clifford's older brother) with blackjax on that. The alarm comes with a 2 way LCD remote with pager. It also has many channels to add cool gadgets such as remote start etc. This alarm is on special for £299 (RRP £399).

www.motorguarduk.co.uk

CJN said:
hey guys,

At the mo im looking at some car alarms as I have the standard factory one, but am not sure which one would be good for me. :roll:

I have looked at the Clifford 650 but that costs £450. :evil:

Any ideas or recommendations on what is good and what isnt?

cheers,

CJN. 8)

Go for a TOAD Ai606 they are good reliable alarms that wont give you any trouble. Clifford alarms are a pain in the arse they are over priced and over complicated.

I have Toad on the DC5 - works fine, nice and easy to use.

And always wakes me up when it goes off outside the house/flat 8)

We currently have Concept 650 which comes with BlackJax (anti-hijack) and Prox Sensor (warnaway) on special offer for £325 fitted. We are authorised dealers and this will come with Lifetime warranty. We are authorised dealers for all major alarm makes but always have clifford alarms on our own vehicles. Clifford only get a bad name because there are people fitting them that are not trained to standards, as clifford is more complicated to fit.

We have a CTR as a demo car and have the Viper (clifford's older brother) with blackjax on that. The alarm comes with a 2 way LCD remote with pager. It also has many channels to add cool gadgets such as remote start etc. This alarm is on special for £299 (RRP £399).

www.motorguarduk.co.uk

Is it possibel to fit blakjax on its own in tandam with the Honda standard cat 1 alarm/immob on the Type R?

Im having problems finding anyone who says it can be done or is indeed possible in London!

yeah you can have the blackjax fitted on its own with the standard honda alarm. it works a treat but the first few weeks are annoying as I always forget to put the code in and 300yrds down the road the car would cut out and the alarm starts blairing!!!

yeah you can have the blackjax fitted on its own with the standard honda alarm. it works a treat but the first few weeks are annoying as I always forget to put the code in and 300yrds down the road the car would cut out and the alarm starts blairing!!!
:lol:

I brought the Clifford IntilliGuard 950 for my car, the 950 is basically the 650 with all the extras.

If your going to invest in a Clifford I'd recommend you get yourself the Clifford software to manage it (ebay), otherwise most of its features are to difficult to change.

- Kevin.

With the cliffnet wizard you can have control of your alarm and turn functions on and off and also change the tone of the siren

Wee Man - I had a Autowatch Cat 1 fitted to the Teg when I bought it.
I looked @ Clifford, Toad etc...but friends of mine had nothing but grief with them on their cars. I.e False alarms & sensors going up the spout.

Rossi had the same Autowatch fitted on his R33 GTR too & his previous car before that.

I have nothing but praise for the alarm. It didn't false alarm once & the ONLY issue I had was the existing bonnet pin sensor was plastic & needed replacing, but that wasn't actually to do with the alarm.

I have the details of the guy that fitted mine if you'd like them?

how do you change the tone of the siren on the clifford?

what do i need, i have a 650 MK2 fitted, apart from the software?

cheers

I trusted Motorguard to instal my "extra security measure" having had my CTR pinched..... I feel a lot safer with it too !

I still think that if I'd have had a disklok on, the theives would have tried somewhere else that night.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys, this may be a complete noob question but what's wrong with the standard cat 1 alarm that comes with the Type R? Just wondering if I need to get anything extra beyond a disk lock when I get mine.

Back