• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 FN2 test drive thread

Just been into local dealers asking about new type-r, told me they had one in and would I like a test drive, of course said yes, but thinking they meant in a few days, but no came back with keys and off we went.

Was a red GT and I was prepared to be disappointed, but to be honest I ended up being very impressed. Front end grip and handling are a lot better as well as braking being much improved. Sounds very good too.
Inside the bucket seats are pretty tight and if you are an XL size you might find it a very tight fit. Seating position is very good with wheel adjusted for reach and rake. Gear box was good although little sticky, maybe due to only have 50 miles on clock. You could feel extra weight a little and there was no noticeable vtec change over.

Overall very impressed.

Was this Blackpool Honda then? I'm taking it out tomorrow morning :)

Also got a test drive tomorrow in 2x Focus ST at Evans Halshaw, they've got a standard and 300bhp one.

Should be a good comparison methinks...

Was this Blackpool Honda then? I'm taking it out tomorrow morning :)

Also got a test drive tomorrow in 2x Focus ST at Evans Halshaw, they've got a standard and 300bhp one.

Should be a good comparison methinks...

I'd love to try a Focus ST - be interested to see what you think (especially the 300bhp one).

FN2 Test Drive - 16.02.07

Booked a test drive with John Banks Ipswich and today met helpful salesman Edward who promptly showed me round the new car in black. Overall impression is extremely good.

Inside :
feels more solidly built with use of good grade materials, the new dash is very impressive with 3D styling on the dials, nice useful additions on the GT model with cruise control which is very useful.In every aspect the interior is much better than the old one.

Exterior :
the new shape is growing on me. likes include the body shape, the twin exhaust and the front bumper spoiler, fog lights. the alloys looks much easier to clean than the old one. i didnt like the rear at first, but when you think its created more space for the boot and for rear passengers, the reason for the shape becomes obvious. only dislike is the fake silver petrol cap cover and the door handles.

Driving :
from the outset the car feels very stable and inspire confidence in every sense. the engine sounds nice, and is even more free revving than the old one. the gears are smooth and not notchy. looks like the adjustments made to the suspension has paid dividends, as it now feels very planted on the straights and bends. the steering feedback is miles better than the old one. the range of useable power is also increased and feel much quicker.

Conclusion :
i think honda has come up with another gem, in everyway its a much better car than the outgoing one by miles. only time will tell if they have cured the faults and issues of the old one with regards to steering / gear change / suspension.

on thing though, it seems that honda has listened to its customers and have made important changes that have made the new car a much better one.

take a test drive and make your own mind up.

i think you will love it too !

Had a change of plan and driven the FN2 and ST2 with 300bhp only (was gonna drive standard ST also). Obviously cant compare outright performance as the ST just pulled and pulled and was very nice in that respect.

Some observations though...

FN2 in the flesh didn't get the wow factor. It just looks too much like standard from exterior. I was a bit disappointed TBH. ST similiar in this respect except for the alloys. Would definately have to have the rage upgrades.

Interior is lovely and no comparison whatsoever with ST. ST interior looks more like the EP3 one.

Seats fantastic but agree XL would be difficult fit. ST recaro seats really nice also but not as much as FN2.

The braking felt better in FN2 over ST and likewise better than EP3 also. However because the FN2 was very similiar to the EP3 I found that I got get to grips with it a lot easier whereas the ST (especially with 300bhp) I was a bit cautious with.

Both sound lovely. The sound of the FN2 in vtec was fantastic. Inside vtec I'd say the FN2 sounded better but the ST made loads of lovely pops and burbles. Guess an aftermarket exhaust for the FN2 would sort this out.

FN2 can be driven a lot easier and for a lot longer in vtec I found. The vtec indicator light is nice and was one for most of the drive.

I thought the FN2 felt slightly faster than the EP3 at all times and didn't notice the extra weight. Cant compare with the ST on this one.

The gearchange on the FN2 is lovely and didn't find any problems switching between the EP3 and FN2. Absolutely no comparison between the FN2 and ST. Found the gearing in the FN2 to be far, far slicker. I had a ford puma before the EP3 which had lovely gearing so I was slightly disappointed with the STs.

Handling wise I didn't feel a great deal of difference between the two. Thought both were exceptional and better than the EP3.

Other thing I noticed was that nobody seemed to look at the FN2 at all whereas the ST had loads of roads presence. I'd put this down to the FN2 not being in the spotlight at all with the average motorist though.

The scary thing with the ST was the fuel. I was aware of it not being too good but I used over a quarter of the tank.

I got 30 minutes in the FN2 and over an hour in the ST which I could have had for longer. Was a bit p1ssed off with the length of time honda allowed me with the FN2.

I'm a bit confused now as to what to do. Both have their pros and cons. Not discussed prices with Honda as yet but will go back on Monday however I'm pretty sure they will not be as flexible on price as what ford have been due to how new the FN2 is. Ford gave me a nice p/x price and included side stripes, tints, mats and full tank of fuel in the price of the ST. Plus I think I can do further haggling on the total price also.

Think I'll ponder it over the weekend....

FN2 Test Drive Thread.

All in here please guys - reading the comparisons in the same thread will help us all to compare the pros and cons.:cool:

Cheers.:D

I have noticed, with no small satisfaction that many people who have owned an EP3, that have now driven a new FN2 have found it in many ways to be an improvement over the original. Much like I tried to tell everyone who were being slightly negative about it.....before even taking one for a drive, and basing information soley on what they have read. I have found this to be the case on many forums I lurk on :D.

Those few who have driven it, and are not overly enthusiastic (though in many cases still seem to be pleasantly suprised by it) often as not come from a non sporty/high revving Honda owning background.

I am glad to see that you guys so far have found what I did andtake the new car for what it is, not a compromise, but a car that offers all the fun elements of the outgoing EP, but with the improvements to steering feel, chassis stability that make it more fun. And that the extra toys, far from watering it down make it even easier to live with.

For me once we have finished the finance on the wifes car (in about a year). It will make the new G ride choice a little more interesting...

...second hand NSX, S2000 or FN2.....(I just cannot see me leaving Honda tbh).

Last edited by a moderator:
at last my test drive

well went to bassetts honda today to see what the love ...hate comments are all about with some of the views ive been reading from fellow members .....so as i went round the back to view the red gt model as i saw it in the flesh and thought" ok there it is"...didnt get the old butterflys like when i saw me ep3...ok i like it loads very sporty obviously it makes my ep3 design look as old as it really is....so to the drive the sales person took it first , the ride was very firm ,harder than i imagined,seats are so excellent as everyone knows now,cabin is very airwolf ish lots of space ok for me the missus and a 12 and 5 year old,as we hit the dual he floored it and i thought ....hang on a minute this thing is popping along mmmmmmm,then my go..well hit the pedal wheres the noise is there any...cant here anything(i do have aem v2 and magnex on mine so used to noise)engine sound to me was nowt..then it was wheres the speed ,no noticable vtec changeover,are we moving,this is gash,a quick look at speedo mmmm98 yes we are moving..fast..the lack of engine note lessens the speed factor thats for sure, and to be honest the car felt real crap in a straight line,it 's not an autobahn car after all though,first corner i nearly over did it ,.....wow the way this thing turns in is amazing,after a few roundabouts and tight turns the fn2 was getting right into its shoes felt alive ,responsive,totally different from the outset drive ,the first ten minutes of the drive was lame not dissapointing but lacking something,the last ten minutes had sold the car to me with out a doubt it is in a leaque of its own,mine is on its way end of march........this car is no ep3 by a long shot ,but was never meant to be...my drive home in the ep3 up the motorway floored it in third and to be honest there was not a lot in the two accelerating the looseness of my engine and the aem noise defo makes it feel as if your going a whole lot faster...trust me when the fn2 has 20000 miles under its belt it will not be a lard ass big bro a lot off us seem to be naming it. conclusion is i love my ep3 to death and i will love the fn2 just as much the ep3 has things the fn2 doesnt,but vice versa so bring on march and my cruise control lol

mine,s going into bassetts on friday for warranty work
booked a test drive after dropping it off :woot: can,t wait countin the mins

reading all these comments makes me want to book a test drive and see what its like.

I popped in to a local garage where they had a nhb model with the gt pack.

I think it looks really agressive from the front and once I sat inside I noticed how much more secure the recaros were :cool: I liked the interior and this model had the optional ipod connector. Didnt take a drive in it as the guy said he wouldnt let me put the foot down so I said I would go to the opening I was invited to and get a drive there. On the way home I was thinking I could go for one of these.....but.

Once I had a good look at the brochure the price soon goes way up once you add the optional extras like the front and rear bumper packing £975 I think, the 19" rage alloys £900 odd quid also, ipod connector etc etc brings it to over £20K :eek:

Id rather wait a year or two, let someone else get all the extras and pick one up then if I was still interested in it.

i got my call on saturday morning asking when i wanted to go down and take the new one out for a test drive. as i was going to be near on thursday i'm doing it then, best keep the wallet at home so i cant put a deposit down ;)

Well...

I had a day off today, so thought i'd go in on the off chance of having a quick bash in one.
They let me have it the WHOLE DAY :woot: woooooooohoooo, which i wasn't expecting!

It was a GT in Milano Red.. Number 268.

Our dealer took delivery on friday, one of the salesmen had it all weekend, and i think i was the first one over here to test drive :woot:

So...

I went in thinking all about what the forums had said 'basically **** etc and not as good as the old one' Well i've gotta say they're all wrong :eek:

It was awesome, the noise it makes is so different to the Ep3, the seats are quality, the interior is easily the best i've seen in a long time, if not ever. I've got a whole load of pics too!
There are so many little touches which make it, like the little Type-R icon on the digital dashboard, the pedals, the little metal badge on the mats. All styled like the JDM Ep3 with red carpets, mats etc, and aluminium kick panels or whatever they're called. The wheels are nice too, same as the NSX.

I wasn't too happy initially that it had VSA... but thats fine, a quick press and its turned off hehe ;) tried a full on launch with that turned on.. haha no hope, nearly stalled. Turned it off, and it flew off the line!

I really don't know what to say apart from, dont mock it till you've tried it, you will be impressed, and if not, you need to try it again ;)

Back