• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 FN2 test drive thread

I don't know if it has traction control or not, but it was extremely tight. Even in the complete lack of steering feel I got the feeling that the car didn't want to unsettle. .

It has VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) which is much the same thing. I made sure it was turned off on my test drive this morning. If yours was on it could have affected your opinion of the handling?

Well I'm not gonna labour the report, as much of it's been covered already. We went out with me driving, the missus in the back seat and the Honda dude in the passenger seat. He was sound actually, took it all in his stride, despite me doing my best to white knuckle him. :D

I loved it. The handling, steering, ride, gear changing all very nice indeed with what I thought was a smoother more continuous power delivery. The interior is a nice place to be, beautifully thought out and high grade materials used in the dash layout. There was definitely less intrusive noise in the cabin and it would be a far more relaxing long drive for that reason alone.

I agree it's not maybe as raucous as the outgoing model but that suits me fine I'll take the performance with the added bit of refinement thank you very much.

Soon I think -and in red. :D

Had my test drive today and will post a full review later on. Had a back to back drive of the FN2 GT (with optional front and rear valance kit fitted) and a Black S2000 with Red/Black interior.:cool:

Reports to follow.:D

Attachments

• DSC03167.JPG
    DSC03167.JPG
    327.4 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC03168.JPG
    DSC03168.JPG
    338.3 KB · Views: 116
  • DSC03169.JPG
    DSC03169.JPG
    338.8 KB · Views: 106
  • DSC03170.JPG
    DSC03170.JPG
    349.7 KB · Views: 101
  • DSC03171.JPG
    DSC03171.JPG
    344.7 KB · Views: 99
Nice write up Chris, I agree with many of your points, but I personaly found the steering to have excellent feedback. Perhaps as in many things, opinions are allways going to vary due to the level of driving ability. I may have to go out again and try and tone my skill level down so that I am more able to appreciate the car from your level :p

;) :D

Oh and carl, cooll pics, I hate to say it but the new car does make ours look so dated :(. Mutch as I love my EP.

Have to also ad I am starting to be tempted myself, and I had my heart set on an 'S' or NSX nect....:?

Nice write up Chris, I agree with many of your points, but I personaly found the steering to have excellent feedback. Perhaps as in many things, opinions are allways going to vary due to the level of driving ability. I may have to go out again and try and tone my skill level down so that I am more able to appreciate the car from your level :p

Have you driven a DC5 or another FWD car other then the EP3 recently? Seriously mate, there is little feel. The steering is heavier then the EP3, and it communicates a small amount of feel, but in the DC5 I get a load more feedback.

Right, had my test drive of a Milano Red FN2 Type R GT today.:D

It had the optional front and rear valance kit fitted but only the standard 18 inch wheels.

I had my good lady with me so the keys were passed over with no dealership passenger onboard. My initial impression before driving was that a) The seats are a tad tighter than those in my EP3 and b) The ride height seemed very high. On my return to the dealership I found out that you could lower the seat height.

My original opinion of the rear end has softened tbh, although I still see it as something which carries a lot of confusion. It is growing on me but very slowly.

Right, off we went and for the first 10 mins I was just poodling around the town getting the feel of the car and the gearchange. Once I was happy to start giving it a workout I found a few roundabouts leading towards the A120 dual carriageway.

The turn in and front end grip was quite a surprise, I took quite a harsh entry into a small roundabout and found the nose just took the very tight line with zero washout and complete stability. It had recently rained so I was not giving it hell for leather and with only 45 miles on the clock I did have some sympathy.:cool:

Onto the dual carriageway and the first thing you notice is the sound when the revs are rising – it is a much more pronounced and piercing engine note than the EP3. I liked it but the lass thought it was tinny sounding. I hear that Jensen Button says it replicates a touring car sound.

The VTEC engages in a much more subtle and linear fashion, the power is progressive and ongoing all the way to the rev limiter which, quite disappointingly, is set too early for my liking. The EP3 has spoilt me there.;)

The brakes are excellent. ABS never kicked in when braking firmly but when I purposely hammered the middle pedal I got the judder I expected.

From the dual carriageway I took a route through some nice B roads between Braintree, Witham and Chelmsford. The car was a pleasure to drive and throw around these roads. The steering input is superior to the EP3, the transmission of info from road to driver is vastly improved and I knew this when driving my EP3 home.:(

Technofreaks will enjoy all of the extra buttons, switches and gadgets that accompany the new CTR. The digital display is fine, the mpg scale LED is a sign of what this car really is – a sporting mile muncher.:madsmile:

So to summarise then.

I really like the FN2 in many ways. There are significant improvements and tweaks which EP3 owners will notice and feel straight away.

The drive and power delivery through the gears is enjoyable although a VTEC punch is sorely missed.

So the big question is this – would I have one?

The answer is no.

Why you may ask?

Well after parking the FN2 I took the keys to a Black Pearl S2000 and was told “Take her for a couple of hours if you like”.:D

I did and I am smitten. :twisted:

I will become the owner of a Black Pearl (with Red and Black interior) S2000 at some stage in the future. If I could have produced a deposit there and then I would have.:(

Many thanks to all at John Pease Honda in Braintree, Essex.

Scouse.

Carl, remembering back to when we went to that S2kip meet, I still have a hankering, black for me also. Next year when the Scooby is paid off. I will give serious consideration to one.

Or an NSX..

...or...erm

Carl, remembering back to when we went to that S2kip meet, I still have a hankering, black for me also. Next year when the Scooby is paid off. I will give serious consideration to one.

Or an NSX..

...or...erm

The fact that the lass thinks it is great is a big bonus.:D

I am just worried that when she has her licence she will make an unreasonable suggestion.:mad:

One thing I forgot to mention was the perception of speed.

It was far to easy to be doing 20-30mph more than you think on an open road, you would have to be very careful with the old cameras.:eek: :lol:

I'd have one in orange. Add an Amuse titanium exhaust, Mugen induction. A set of volks and a B/C carbon bonnet and hey presto, an Amuse Touge monster (ish). Swish.

Thinking back, I can sum mine up. It's a quick and capable car, but boring in doing so.

Test drove the new Type R this morning. TBH i was bored silly. Gone are the sense fun, in are the rounded dash and lumpy bumpy body. Liked the meaty engine noise, hated the slow pick up. Did'nt like the seats and dont feel as snugs as my reccarros. Being only 5,2 could'nt see the speedo and when the sun was on the dash the red on black was impossible to see. Also the rear view was hinder by the useless spoiler on the rear. The gear stick is in the wrong place and there is far to much plastic. Not impressed, I think i will be sticking to my 55 premier.:cool:

did you test drive the one in bassetts on the enterprise park,and how long did they let you drive it for,iwas aloud twice round the lake and that was it
they did say pop down in the week to have a longer go after the novelty wore off,so i leave my judgement till then

did you test drive the one in bassetts on the enterprise park,and how long did they let you drive it for,iwas aloud twice round the lake and that was it
they did say pop down in the week to have a longer go after the novelty wore off,so i leave my judgement till then
Took it along Asda road and down the little twisty bits, Howard the salesman in the back with a hangover and Ade in the front shouting at me to slow down in a built up area. Turn up toward the m4 junction 44 and then gave it some on the motorway down to Filindre(scuse spelling) Gave it some serious beans (Howie by now looking seriousley Dodgie) IMO having got a really fast car (Evo5) Its got not Bo**ucks and drives like an old mans car.To add insult to injury Howie tells me the first one they sold was to an 84 Year old!:scare:

Back