• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 FN2 test drive thread

Just to show how people opinions differ, My sisterinlaw, who also has a cosmic premier, has just traded hers in for the new Type R in milano red and delivered by the end of the month:scare::scare::scare::scare:

I think a lot of people will change over due to the FN2's creature comforts, With the EP3 you get some comforts but the FN2 is like a space ship in comparison.. in my opinion the FN2 is a car that will attract a 'sales rep' type buyer.

Compared to my Premier its got no Bo**ucks!;) It's slower and it's heavier and just no fun at all. :eek:

how come the manufacturer's speed figures don't seem to show this.
sure i read that is does 0-60 in 6.6 secs,maybe i was just dreaming????

Took it along Asda road and down the little twisty bits, Howard the salesman in the back with a hangover and Ade in the front

extra weight is going to make it feel slower and heavier.. :p

I have to say I am no big fan on the looks but then it's not all about looks..

IMO it's difficult to make a comparison in a little test drive.. it's only after having a car for a while you really get to know it.. I did try this line with Honda but they wouldn't let me have FN2 for a couple of weeks.. buggers

I was one of the sceptical ones originally but the more info I read, it began to grow on me.Had my test drive yesterday in a NHB with tints...Manager drove it off the forecourt and about a mile down the road, the lower gears offer more satisfaction than in my premier, it was driven really hard by Dylan and I felt the urge to hang on to the seats ....Then it was my turn, first off reversed it, had no probs with rear view and the rather big wing mirrors help, couldn't go as fast as I would have liked because of the volume of traffic, but 10 mins later I'd gotta have one. The seats are comfy and hug you rather nicely, but noticed some creasing on the seat bolsters (demo had done just under 300mls)
So got £13,000 for my cosmic and ordered a Milano Red GT delivery for the end of March... then i can drive it my way !!!

FAO Diane Get another test drive and take Max and Hunter along they will love it
icon12.gif

Maz x

A small point perhaps, the one Nick and I drove at that test day had done well over 30-40 k, and it had been driven hard. And we all know the K20 really does not loosen up till after 20 odd k. I wonder if some of the dealer cars are still a tad tight. If you know what I mean.

A small point perhaps, the one Nick and I drove at that test day had done well over 30-40 k, and it had been driven hard. And we all know the K20 really does not loosen up till after 20 odd k. I wonder if some of the dealer cars are still a tad tight. If you know what I mean.

My test mule had 45 miles on the clock G. Tight would be an understatement!!! :lol:

Still enjoyed it though.:cool:

I went in past Honda today to see what the new beast looked like in the flesh! I'd seen plenty of pics, read the brochure and also read some reviews.
I currently own a DC5, and used to have an '02 CTR for 3 years.
I hovered about until someone asked if I needed help and I told them I would like to see the new Type R.

He took me out to the forecourt to show me the car (silver), but there was another dealer and a mid 40's lady sitting in the car already (not a good selling point!). He stood and listed the differences between R and R GT until the woman shifted, and then let me and my girlfriend sit inside. It was like sitting in the cockpit of a spaceship! Cool 3D looking dials and plenty of buttons. It also had ambient footwell lighting (gimmik) and iPod adapter. The seats were nice - although not as hugging as my DC5's recaro's and the car was roomy and comfy. I figured how to adjust the seat to lower it - so I didnt feel like my head was poking through the roof!
I got out and had a look round. The boot seemed large, with an additional compartment where the spare wheel was meant to be. Instead there was a can of gunk!
I asked for a test drive and was made to go in and fill in some forms (name, address etc) and then given the keys - he said to give him a shout when I returned!

We pulled out of the dealers and headed up a fairly busy main road. The car seemed quite luxurios compared to my last CTR. After a couple of miles we got to the dual carrigeway, where I got a chance to put the foot down. The car seemed much more solid than the previous CTR and had much less road noise. I was rather dissapointed when I hit 5400rpm and didnt get a Vtec kick - although the engine seemed a bit more torquey. After a couple more miles I turned off onto a country road which never has any traffic and has loads of winding corners. I pushed the car pretty hard as the road was almost dry. It only had 350 miles on the clock... but thats not my problem! I thought the last CTR had some serious handling issues with the front end sliding if you put too much power down... but the new one with VSA stuck to the road like glue. I deliberately tried giving the car over and under steer, but the VSA managed to correct them without much effort. I also tried hammering the car off the line with a huge wheelspin (the previous CTR was terrible off the line in the wet -trying to nip out at a junction meant huge wheelspin!), but again the VSA controlled this brilliantly. We carried on around the wiggly roads for a few miles before turning in a farm entrance and heading back to the garage.

My overall conclusion of the car was...

Looks: I'm not convinced, but it is growing on me. The front looks pretty mean, especially with the fog lights. The back looks odd - but I think its pretty cool with the twin triangle exhausts. The sides are very bland.

Inside: I could safely say that this is one of the nicest cars I've been in. Everything is set out great, looks nice and is perfectly placed. The 3d dash looks cool, the seats are nice, heaps of room in the back, plenty cubby holes. The only downside (for me anyway) is the moulded stereo system that looks like it'll be a total nightmare to replace with an aftermarket stereo.

Performance: Seemed to handle better than the previous CTR, but is missing the Vtec 'boost' and also doesnt feel as fast. The car is comfy, soundproofed and feels bigger - so you dont notice the speed the same. On paper its much the same spec, but I think the original CTR was more a drivers car, whereas this one is more a fast family car!

Price: I very much doubt anyone will buy anything but the GT - so the stating cost is £18,600. Personally I would need the 19" wheels (£950), iPod adapter (£225), Bluetooth kit (£350), Metallic Paint (£375), Type R Grill badge and stickers (£75 - SHOULD come as standard - pathetic extra), and some form of Mats (£60 for rubber or £90 for red carpets) which is somewhere around £20600. Considering my original CTR cost £16k - this is a HUGE hike in price! I realise it has more toys, but it still seems rather expensive considering its still a Civic at the end of the day!

Overall Verdict: I really enjoyed my outing in the CTR GT. It was comfortable, safe and pretty nippy! The handling was better than the previous model, but it didnt have the same 'racing' feel to it. The price is a tad excessive in my opinion - but if I can cough up enough cash then I may still buy one.

Fair review Chris.

I shall post up my report when I have a blast (Take note Dave S) ;) :lol:

The way things are going Stu we shall share the test drive - we have ours and I have not yet driven it, in fact I am now off sick for the week with what started out as a flu type bug is now a painful chest infection.

So, when you back here then?

I currently have a 2.2 CDTI Civic & was a bit dissapointed

First of all all I am a total newby to this perfomance car lark.

I currently own a honda civic 2.2 CDTI ES which I purchased this time last year. Toatlly great car, loads of torque and fantastic for overtaking.

When I first got behind the wheel for my test drive I was totally shocked at the lack of power at low revs. The diesel really kicks you in the ass and really takes off while the Type-R struck me as sluggish (i know its not).

Anyway the key the salesman told me the key was keeping the revs up.

All in all i was fairly unconvinced by the test drive and prefer my torquey diesel.

Having said that i bought the type-r anyway as it looks fantastic.

I went to the dealership the first day they had the car (a friday) and the salesman said the fully expected to sell their allocation over the weekend. A point further enforced by the amount of people turning up showing intrest in it.

I have been reading a fair few articles that compare the Type-r with this that and the next but when it all comes down to it the car looks incredible from the outside and just as incredible from the inside. In my opinion everything else looks dated in comparison to this so who cares the civic take a second longer than a dated renault in the hands of the stig.

Hoping to get mine first day in april.

here is a piccy of the car i drove although i ordered mine in red.

C`ya

Attachments

• civic image.jpg
    civic image.jpg
    299.3 KB · Views: 59
The way things are going Stu we shall share the test drive - we have ours and I have not yet driven it, in fact I am now off sick for the week with what started out as a flu type bug is now a painful chest infection.

So, when you back here then?
I will be back at the end of May Dave ;)

Mini Review

I test drove the FN2 last Friday at Alan Day Honda Portsmouth (Red GT).

If you don't have time to test drive the FN2 but want an idea of what it's like, I would say it's kind of like a sort of love child bred between an Ep3 and a mk5 Gti.

Anyway for starters :-
I really liked the interior with the alloy pedals (which I always wanted on my Premier Ep3) the new 3D Rev counter and S2000 like digital speedo which is nice too. The new shift light are also a nice touch if your into that sort of thing as is the Red starter button.
Onto the drive then, It was a little damp when I set off but I thought what the hell the cars got VSA to help put the power down and I wanted to give that a good test. I tried to cover as many road types as I could to get a real feel for the car in different everyday situations. I found that the car had an improved ride over the bumps in the road compared to the Ep3 but had not gone all soft as I was fearing.

The first thing that struck me when I first nailed it though was that the engine sounded muted compared to the Ep3. I think this is due to the extra soundproofing the FN2 has over the old car. But as other's have found when you look at the speedo you see that you are still shifting even though it doesn't sound like you are unless you open the window a bit.:lol: The car handles superbly as you'd expect I only got the car slightly out of shape once when I floored it going down a very damp bumpy road on the way back to the dealers just to test the VSA and refusing to lift off the throttle. With a sort of shimey the car just stuck to it's course & felt so alive and was one of the highlight's of the test drive for me I don't think the salesman would agree though.:evil:
The new Type R seats are fantastic and really keep you comfortably in place when your pushing on too.
The back road blast is just as much fun as always in this car but you are more aware of the cars extra mass so I didn't over do it in the corners. I like the way the Vtec engages earlier but because you don't get that kick in the back round about 6000 ish Rpm's it's not as intoxicating.

On the motorway the car is comfortable and strangely quiet for a type R cruising at around 80 (soundproofing again). I just had to try the cruise control and though I could get used to this. But drop a couple of gears and the car comes straight back to life again. I also tried out the dual zone aircon which I thought could be useful.

So this is what I thought after the drive. Firstly I don't think this car is going to be easy to customise looking at that radio built into the dash and the twin triangular exhaust's but I think a lot more people are gonna like this car maybe not so many enthusiast's but more regular Joe's which can only be good for Honda's sales target's. The car may not be the fastest of the current hot hatches and it may not be a class leader anymore or be everyones cup of tea but what it does it does in it's own special way. And I have to admit I like it. :eek:

But I won't be getting rid of mine though as I just prefer the shape of mine with it's white dial's. & the way the Vtec kicks in at 6000 rpm, the way the engine screams the whole experience just seem's more exciting.
I think when you think about the Ep3 type R it's easier to believe the R stands for Racing but with the FN2 it just seems to be more R for Refined (with lot's of toys and soundproofing) to tempt would be Gti buyers but not as potent as the Ep3.

I am still not going to bother going for a test drive, from what you have all said its a little improvement over the EP3, especially regarding road feel..

TBH I thought the EP3 was crap and have been spoilt by the DC5, I consider the ultimate FWD Type R to be the DC2. But my opinion is purely from a handling side and nothing to do with creature comforts, ok it may have a better interior but does that really matter? If such things make you want the car why not consider another make of car TBH it doesnt deserve the 'Type R' badge. Just like the lastet GTI doesnt deserve it either.

I will wait until the first new JDM arrives in the UK, then a like for like comparison would be interesting. I bet it will have 'proper' steering and a diff as standard, if id didnt it simply wouldnt sell in Japan - they wont put up with substandard quality and are less affected by marketing IMO.

Sums my opinion up really Honda UK are greedy, they should have allowed the DC5 to be sold in the UK. But that would have just meant death for the EP3.

If you want a new capable honda then S2000 is the way to go IMO.

Great review there Car nut :D.

Hey Andy, you know me, and I wont say things just for the sake of it. The new car as I have said often is so different than the EP, but if you like handeling over other considerations, and driver feedback it is in a different league to the EP, it may not 'feel' as raw, but that is more about the EP having a slightly crashier and less complient ride, and the way the power comes in. Ok on a smooth track that harshness may not be quite so much of an issue, but on the road where the vast majority of us drive, it makes a world of difference.

On the road I would be a lot more happier trying to keep up with your Teg in the FN than even my EP3. Just because it is more communicative.

In a word, I really think for you the FN would be an easier car to live with, and I think, as a friend I will offer to take your BR324 off your hands...

...aint I nice :D :D

lol

Just my 10p really, I have no brand alliance at all.

At the moment I am driving a s40 volvo 2 litre diesel mile muncher. Now I have driven 2 different executive volvos before and they were rubbish, but I have to admit the S40 is a very capable car...

I think the swedes would be horrified to see the way I have been handeling it but give then their due it has plenty of feedback and takes the twisties very well... Even in the wet and it changes direction very well and 0 understeer.

I did not expect that, so there you go I like the Volvo s40 !

Plus it has heated seats :smt047

Then again ive only got the car for a month.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hehe. My wife works with a Swedish nurse who drives a battered old volvo, when ever it is snowing she allways laughs at us brits and how we react, but she just drives like its any other day, only putting on her chains in extreme cases.....

Back