• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Accord Brakes

My old man took his 2003 Accord 2.4 Exec Auto into Honda for its 50k mile service yesterday. They came back and said the rear pads are 90% worn, thing is they were replaced by the same garage 8 months and 8k miles ago so to be worn again seems a little premature to me.

I know that the Accord CL9 is a little prone to rear pad wear but 8000 miles is crazy! I have looked at the pads and they do look low - any clues as to why they would go so quick? My 1 Series is on 19k and the onboard computer thing is showing another 10k before rear pad replacement. My previous Civic lasted 28k without any brake work.

Last edited by a moderator:
On my EP3 CTR I have recently replaced the rear pads at 40,000 miles Adam - how on earth Honda can accept 8,000 miles as acceptable is beyond me. :evil: :evil: :evil:

The front pads on my CTR lasted 37k miles so there must have been a hell of alot left on the rears! :lol:

There must be a problem there somewhere to get that sort of wear so quickly.

Maybe how the last set where fitted?

I had an CL Accord Type-S 2.4 and managed to get 20k out of my back brakes, and that was with 2 track days as well. Only managed to get about 8-9k from the front ones though.

Sounds like there is something wrong , maybe a sticking caliper, or the dealer is just trying to make and extra couple of quid.
Hope this helps.

ps : pic of my accord below :

http://www.jasonevans.fotopic.net/c640547.html

I had an CL Accord Type-S 2.4 and managed to get 20k out of my back brakes, and that was with 2 track days as well. Only managed to get about 8-9k from the front ones though.

Sounds like there is something wrong , maybe a sticking caliper, or the dealer is just trying to make and extra couple of quid.
Hope this helps.

ps : pic of my accord below :

http://www.jasonevans.fotopic.net/c640547.html

Thanks! Its going back to the stealers next week.....

Like your Accord - I have a real soft spot for the Type S :cool:

There one of those suprising cars , sort of a sleeper that keeps up with a CTR all day long ( and I've proven this, ask the North London Meet members ! ).
With the optional Honda sports suspension ( like I had ) it goes like it's on rails round the corners, real good fun, if a little heavy on track.

Quick question guys, what things should I be looking out for on the CL9 ? My g.f's dad is getting one (2.4 Exec) and I want to know what to look for regarding common faults/issues with them.

Cheers !

:cool:

If it has got the optional rear bumper parking sensors make sure they work as they seem to cost a fortune to repair if they don't.

No known faluts as far as I'm aware.
Just make sure the duel zone climate control and the steering wheel controls work and then your "normal" checks should be sufficent.
HTH

Not too much goes wrong on them in theory!

Check the brakes obviously! Check the exhaust for corrosion, stonechips will go rusty quicky if not touched in, check the leather on the drivers seat, make sure the aircon works (Dads had a few problems with his) Alloys have a habit of corroding esp 17", Honda will usually replace if under warrenty.

Obviously make sure it has a full Honda History and the oil is clean. In all they are great cars and the 2.4 is an amazing engine.

Back