• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Steering locks. . . .

Im due to pick up my first CTR on thursday, (after waiting nearly three years to be able to get one, due to buying a house, work etc). But the g/f is now giving me plenty of ear ache about it.

Anyway, my g/f is pretty scared of me parking it anywhere near our house and at night times / weekends when im out etc shes scared of anyone breaking in for the keys whilst shes alone in the house (which i can understand), and has even suggested parking it on the next street or renting out a garage somewhere else, which im not to kean on doing.

I was thinking of making as much of a deterent as possible, steering locks etc, a friend even suggested buying a tracker or buying the tracker stickers to stick in the window, but if i did that then wouldnt they attempt to look for it and then further casue damage to the car? And if a real tracker was installed would anyone actually have the sticker in the window advertising it?

Other than that, what do you think is the best steering lock to buy or other visual deterents to buy?

Last edited by a moderator:
The best steering lock to get is a Disk-Lok. :wink: 8)

As for a tracker, imo stickers or not it won't stop it getting stolen.

If someone wants to steal it they will if they are good enough, regardless of anything. Famous footballers/celebrities get their cars stolen so what chance do we normal folk have ?

I have a small Disklok - hefty piece of kit and well made - I'm well pleased with it too.

However, it will not stop scum from nickin' your badges and paintwork damage - in some cases I'd be happier to never see the car again - but with it on, I sleep easier at night.

Thing is, if you park it on the road, will anyone know which house it belongs to unless they have been watching you? I think there is far less risk of a house break in for a vehicle on the road against a vehicle on someones drive, especially if the drive provides some sort of cover.

Disklock though will act as a deterrent and will stop opportunists. Tracker might not make too much difference, a lot of cars are pinched and then left in carparks to see if they have trackers fitted and are located.

and depending on the house your probably better off securing that more lol

Result.

I queried these (Disklok) on the DC5 forum and as luck would have it, There is a guy who had just purchased one from a police station in Leeds for £30 :cool:

Apparently they are doing a scheme up there where you can buy them for £30. The bloke has kindly picked one up for me and I will collect it when I am in the area next week :smt023

cant you buy a kit that removes the steering wheel when your done driving?? i'm sure there must be a kit somewhere

Im using a diskloc too, but as im moving house soon, Im thinking of buying one of those bar things that stick up from the driveway - cant remember the name of it though.

Will be parking it behind some gates as well, that will be locked at night, so if they did get the keys they would have to remove the steering lock, the gate locks, an the bar thing that will be on the drive way. Oh an a big Alsation as well. - (which is soft as sh*t mind). :lol:

I got my disclock off ebay. About £40 I think, but that was because I had to have the chrome one :chav: Yellow/silver are always cheaper.

Note: As with all security sensitive online purchases, if you can't pay on collection you can get round the obvious security issue of the seller seeing your address in advance (in case he was inclined to copy the keys before selling) by amending your postage address to a friend's. They dont have to receive it, they can not be in, they'll get a call card with a ref, you type the ref into the royal mail re-delivery site, you choose either your favoured delivery address or collect at a selected post office. bingo bongo.

I'm surprised that modders don't automatically get a tracker fitted because I'd have thought at least you'd want your mod bits back rather than some insurer saying 'money for mods? ha ha ha.'

No?

If some little tw4t stole my CTR, i wouldn`t want it back,

Have them thrashing it,over-revving it and bouncing off kerbs etc

Ok,the Tracker is a great bit of kit but would you like your car back with a bottom end knock and crunching 3rd gear?....

I`d prefere them to torch it...

Harsh i know, but id buy another one which i knew was all O.K...

Anyone feel the same?

disklok is by far been proven the best physical deterant....something a 25 min to half hour attack to get off i think in tests

Back