• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 Type r side engine mount.

ads

Here is my guide for changing the offside engine mount, located near the washer fluid bottle.

Tools needed;

Trolley jack
Large block of wood
10mm socket
15mm socket
17mm socket
17mm spanner
Extension
Rachet

The mount in question is the one with the split rubber boot, it has also been highlighted with a large red circle.

mount1.jpg

Its extremly easy to replace, first of all spray all the nuts with some wd-40. Then whilst everything is still nice and tight, crack each nut off, only crack them off at this stage, do not remove them completely.

The red circle are 15mm nuts.
The yellow ones are 17mm nuts.
The blue one is a 10mm bolt.

mount.jpg

Now remove the 10mm bolt and tuck it out the way, now get the trolley jack and the block of wood and support the sump before you take off the 17mm nuts.

Now remove the 17mm nuts, the longer threaded one may have to be done with an open ended spanner. Remove the bracket.

Now remove the 15mm nuts, then the mount will lift out and you can chuck it away.

Repeat the process in reverse for installing the new mount.

Nice new mount below,

008-2.jpg

Once removed you can see the damage,

017-3.jpg

And by the way, the oil inside the mount stains abosoloutly everything it touches, so be careful not to get it on paintwork etc

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't realise it was this easy to remove the mounts. Thought you had to lift the whole engine up.

FAO DC5 owners. Is this the mount that everyone usually replaces/common mod?

You have to support the engine using the jack, but only so it stays in the correct position, ie so i don't drop when you start to undo the mount.

You have to support the engine using the jack, but only so it stays in the correct position, ie so i don't drop when you start to undo the mount.

and you do this by supporting the sump?

With my track record of late, I will proceed with absolute caution if I decide to do this.

Yes mate, you are applying very little pressure you see.

If you want this done i can always do it for you.

Often a good idea to get a thin flat piece of wood to place on top of your jack to spread out the surface area in contact with the sump.

Yea, whoops i didnt read that part!

Still, no harm in reiterating that point. Dont wanna crack the thing!!

I went to do this and i couldnt get to 2 of the bolts, one is hidden by the abs and the other was the washer bottle :|

Back