• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Common Civic EP3 Faults

Here is a list of common faults, that have been found on Civic Type R's
Don't think from this thread the Civic is an unrealiable car, but these are the these are some of the more common faults to be found.

No VTEC kick:
If you canÂ’t feel the VTEC kick you need TO CHECK YOUR OIL. The K20A engine can us a bit of oil. Some use more than others, personally mine didnÂ’t use any then suddenly dropped. The VTEC changeover will not happen if the oil pressure is to low so you need to keep an eye on your oil. Also you need to ensure you get the engine warm as well. A good rule of thumb is have the engine running for 10-15mins before you rev past 5800RPM

Rattle from the Engine:
There is a common fault that one of the heatshields rattle at varying revs usually 3-4K RPM. There is a similar rattle that is sometimes caused by the silver covere that has the VTEC label on it. This is well know about at the dealers and will be fixed under warranty no problem

Windscreen Whistle:
This one occurs at high speeds any where between 65-100mph and comes from around the windscreen, sometimes it sounds like air rushing through the wipers.
This is fixed by resetting the windscreen seal.
The problem with this fault is some dealers refuses to test for the fault because they will have to break the speed limit.
You can try another dealer or suggest taking the technician out in the car while you drive.

Whirring sound when you turn the ignition on:
This is generally down to a fault with the headlight level motors. The whirring you can hear is the motors running when not required, but once you start the engine you canÂ’t hear them. You maybe able to stop the noise by trying to adjust the level of you headlights.
There was a recall for this defect so it will be sorted at the dealer without too much problem.

Knocking when steering on full lock:
Now this isnÂ’t always a defect. Some people experience a knocking thought the steering wheel when they have the steering on or near full lock at low speeds ie 5-10mph.
Personally I have heard it only a few times and it doesnÂ’t seem that bad. For other people the fault has been worse and was fixed under warranty by replacing the steering rack. If you feel it doesnÂ’t sound good take it to the dealer.

Drivers Window auto-function doesnÂ’t work:
On the facelift version the drivers window has an auto-function in both the upward and downward direction. This function will stop working if you disconnect the battery for any reason. To reset it close the window then open it again and hold the button in the open position for 5 seconds.

my windscreen howls as well.i noticed at 120 onwards.but i can't exactly take it to the dealers and say my car howls at 120+ as they will just say well you shouldn't be going that fast.but what they don't know is you can do 120 on some road legally.so please can someone tell me what exactly i need to do to reset the seal on my windscreen

thanks
micky p

Micky P said:
my windscreen howls as well.i noticed at 120 onwards.but i can't exactly take it to the dealers and say my car howls at 120+ as they will just say well you shouldn't be going that fast.but what they don't know is you can do 120 on some road legally.so please can someone tell me what exactly i need to do to reset the seal on my windscreen

thanks
micky p

I would still take it to them, just say you were on a trackday when you noticed it. They will gladly advertise the CTR has a max speed of 146mph, so you want a car that will do it without sounding like you have a hole in your windscreen.

Micky P said:

thanks
micky p

Milano had this with his dealers.....but he drives on the Autobahns so they fixed it.....Like Paul says they advertise a car that does 146mph, so they car should funtion perfectly at that speed

Black R said:
Micky P said:

thanks
micky p

Milano had this with his dealers.....but he drives on the Autobahns so they fixed it.....Like Paul says they advertise a car that does 146mph, so they car should funtion perfectly at that speed

thats a very good point. ill take this up with them.they should be sound ill have to demostrate it with them. :twisted:

good sticky, i have the window howling, but don't often drive at that speed so wasn't in a hurry to take it to Honda, till today i noticed the outer window seal in the middle wasn't in properly! annoyed me a bit. Oh as for the side windows auto function, i'm sure they should do that but mine don't, so i just thought i was going mad, going to try the reset as above, and presumably they'll go all the way up/down with a single hit rather than having to hold it up/down till they're all the way up/down :roll:

again thanks for that post, most helpful

p.s i get the rattle between 3-4k, Honda told me it was the VTEC cover so they tightened it, didn't fix the problem, really sounds as though it's coming through on the center console. :x going to book into Honda again :cry: that'll be a day of driving a Jazz :oops:

I'm glad this thread is helping people, it always helps to go to the dealers with some ammunition under your belt :wink:

Can I just add a couple Paul?

With regards to rattling, it can also be the VTec cover, not just a heatshield.

Also worth mentioning the Alarm going off problems on 02 cars?

i just discovered how the auto electric window works to make it go all the way without holding it down :oops:

VikJ said:
Can I just add a couple Paul?

With regards to rattling, it can also be the VTec cover, not just a heatshield.

Also worth mentioning the Alarm going off problems on 02 cars?

I'll edit the VTEC cover rattle info, but could you pm any details you have about the 02 CTR alarm issues, as I'm not sure of the details :?

ok car booked in 23rd... MAC training day 24th.. hmm, i hope they sort it because i don't wanna be left with a Jazz on my MAC day!!

Good thread. You've just solved the mystery of my auto switch for my window not working anymore 8)

Low speed, turning, funny sound

Hi I wonder if anyone can help, the problem I have noticed now is that when parking, or driving at low speeds, there is an uneasy rubbing sound from the steering rack or engine bay. It feels like it's a bit creeky, if that makes sense. It sounds as though it's coming from the drivers side, imagine a wooden bed that has loose planks.. .it's that sort of creeking!

Could it be this:

Knocking when steering on full lock:
Now this isnÂ’t always a defect. Some people experience a knocking thought the steering wheel when they have the steering on or near full lock at low speeds ie 5-10mph.
Personally I have heard it only a few times and it doesnÂ’t seem that bad. For other people the fault has been worse and was fixed under warranty by replacing the steering rack. If you feel it doesnÂ’t sound good take it to the dealer.

It doesn't sound as harsh as a knocking, but definately an uneasy creekinng sound which could be described as a low sounding knocking..

I will take it back to Honda and book a day, if anyone has experienced the same i'd like to know what it is and what honda done to resolve it for you.

Cheers,

Lewis

Lewisy,

I have only had this a few times and for me doesn't really cause me too much for concern. It sounds strange rather than worrying.

Personally I try not to have the car on full lock at any time, and maybe thats why I don't hear it so much these days. It will be interesting to see what honda say. They may say they tried various things just so they can bill Honda UK for the work. Not that I don't trust dealers :wink:

steering rack

hi have only had my 53 plate ctr just over a week now its got 18k on the clock i put it in for an oil change and a look over as wasnt happy with steering had low speed grumble and knocking also felt like it was tramlining :cry:
booked in monday for steering rack replacement :wink:

Re: steering rack

dy53type-r said:
hi have only had my 53 plate ctr just over a week now its got 18k on the clock i put it in for an oil change and a look over as wasnt happy with steering had low speed grumble and knocking also felt like it was tramlining :cry:
booked in monday for steering rack replacement :wink:

Let us know how you got on.

got the car back tuesday

while replacing the rack they decided it needed new track rod end hence delay in repair steering feels sooooh much better :D :D :D
shame the steering wheel is not straight and it now pulls to the left
:cry: :cry:
so it is going back on tuesday to have them put right also they are going to repair the scratch they put on it :!:
and also for the fourth time now the engine light is back on so they can sort that to hopefully permanantly this time

not to impressed with dealer so far

Back