• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Transmission noise whilst engine braking

Hi Guys,

I recently got an unmoddified cosmic grey EP3 Type R which has done 12k miles. I've been patiently waiting to ask a question on here about a noise I’ve been hearing from my car and have managed to wait until an official Honda garage have had a look before posting.

So the noise I’ve been hearing. It’s when you are doing engine braking mainly, or if you are coasting along doing 30 in 3rd. Each time you let the momentum of the car turn the engine the noise get audible. It sounds a bit like a grinding noise, possibly bearings. If you just gently touch the accelerator it almost disappears. I’ve not had a car like the CTR before, so I’m used to not hearing any transmission noise. Perhaps it’s a performance car thing?

This noise is not massively loud, it just about can be heard with the radio on (esp when doing some heaving downchange), however with the radio off you can hear it almost all the time.

When in neutral and clutch up you can hear a slight grinding noise when revving up to about 3k or so, once you press the clutch the engine revving noise is very clean. I have to say there is not a massive difference, its quiet. If you listen under the bonnet it is very hard to hear, however you can isolate it to the gearbox/clutch area.

So I hear you say clutch release bearings?!

Well this is what the official garage have done so far:
Replaced the driveshaft heatshield
Replaced all 7 bearing inside the gearbox (week long job)

Its still under manufactures warranty, in case you are wondering. So not cost me anything so far.

So these new bearing in the gearbox have not made any difference. When speaking to managers and reception people they explained all internal gearbox bearings have been changed however when I challenged the mechanic to change the clutch release bearing he said that they already did that... first I heard of it.

We went of for a drive on a 55 premier CTR that had done 48k miles, quite a bit more than my 12k miles. This car made exactly the same noise, so they are saying it’s a characteristic of the car and it sounds like they are not interested in doing anymore work on it. The mechanic was suggesting that is the diff that is making the noise as its helical cut teeth?! Bit of a side question, the standard EP3 hasn’t got a LSD has it?

I'm thinking of bringing it to the original Honda garage that I bought it from and see what they think, but thought I would check with you guys first.

So, question is - is this noise normal? If you tap the accelerator to stop engine braking do you hear a difference like this?

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!!

That's what they had it in for last time. It happens in every gear which I suspect that its not the gearbox?!

I was just reading another post which had exactly the same noises, all pointing towards the clutch release bearings. Only thing is there was no conclusion on that thread. I'm not 100% sure if that was replaced....

Mine does the same noise, sounds like your milkshake through a straw is coming to an end, I hate it. Mine has done 26k. I hope you find the solution.

Hi Nick,

That sounds like the noise I’m hearing. It has to be a thick milkshake mind you, we’re talking McD’s or Burger King. It makes the noise all the way down the range until you have to change down again!

If you rev the engine in neutral with clutch up/down do you hear any difference? It sounds a bit like some teeth somewhere are making a noise, or perhaps a bearing. If I open the bonnet I can just about isolate it to near the battery.

Hopefully I will be able to post back a response in the next few weeks with something positive!

Searching the forums I've found this thread:
http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=52367&highlight=bearing+noise
There is no conclusion if changing the clutch bearings fixes it.

Excellent work Nick!!

That's the noise, starts at 10seconds in on overrun.

Anyone else get this noise, or shed any light on it?

I'm going to drop it in 2 weeks time (from the Honda garage I got it from) before the 3yr warranty runs out in the first wk of Sept. Unfortunately I can't do it next week.

Its annoying because the Honda garage close to me are trying to say its a characteristic of the car and can't be fixed, but i'm not too sure. Is it a characteristic?

You can hear it after 4 seconds on overrun.

My old CTR never had this noise, and that had 77k on it. It doesn't sound healthy, and I'm worried the gearbox could become damagaed, if it isn't already. I just don't know what to do as I don't know what the problem is.

I can change gears no problem, even in high revs. I do get the release bearing rattle though, when idling. If I press the clutch in, the noise goes away.

I'm thinking its not gearbox related because:
1) I've had all bearing replaced internally inside the gearbox.
2) It happens in every gear, you can hear as you coast in 4th/5th but the road noise is enough so that its not obvious. Much more obvious in 1st/2nd

I'm suspecting its clutch related? Can't be diff as you hear it a bit in neutral.

The EP3 doesn't have LSD no (apart from the JDM versions).

I sure hope it's just the clutch, alot cheaper than a new gearbox.

Unless the dealership you used just left the car for a week then said they worked on it? Wouldn't surprise me, so close to the warranty expiry.

When I got it back from the dealership i noticed a bit of whirring noise for the first 20 miles or so, i guess until the bearing settled in. It felt a bit quicker, possibly?!

They said they are going to send the invoices to me so I can see what was changed...

my car still makes this noise even though my clutch and flywheel have been changed, even so, my car has no problems changing gear or anything like that like nick said as well. ive also had 2 new gearboxes from honda too....

and even after that honda say its a characteristic of the EP3 and (WON'T) do anything to help me anymore unless i show them the fruits of my wallet:evil:

Cosmic_chi, that's a pretty long list. Did you get that stuff changed just for this noise? Are you under the extended warranty?

I have the premier edt, could that be common?

Thanks dotty, I had a quick look at the posts he started but couldn't find anything. He has had some unfortunate things happen however!

mine is a premier too. the gearboxes and clutch were changed under warranty and the flywheel was out of my pocket

yeh it was just for the noise as i thought was going to cause me problems but having done 2 track days of hard driving, it ain't got worse or better so i cant complain

I think nicks is a premier model... perhaps it only occurs on those. When I was at the garage they got my to drive another premier which had the noise.
I'm meeting a friend who has an 04 facelift one so will see if that's the same. I'll keep you all posted!!

If you got all those things replaced I have no idea what it could be!

Dont wanna be a big head but its the pinion shaft bearing - common fault on these boxes. Honda Swindon wont admint it, but it is.

I recently removed and engine and rebuilt a gear box - which i have forsale ! which had the same noise - on inspection the bearing was to blame totally - as te outer shell was dented and there was play, causing the spokes of the cog gear to basically bounce up and down creating a whining noise from mis-alignment

That sounds like a good lead...

Do you know if this would be replaced when the gearbox is changed? Cosmic_chi has had 2 new gearboxes and the noise persists.

Back