• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Mugen FN2 concept test drive/review.

Bank holiday Sunday was quite a memorable day to me.

Chris and I along with admin/mods of Civinfo and CTRO got invited by Avondale Honda/Mugen to take out and give feedback on the Mugen FN2 concept.

I will heartedly admit that I thought this was going to be just like a normal FN2 with generic handling and breathing mods. In actual fact it couldn't be further from the truth!

Before I had even seen the car in the flesh I expected it to look a bit OTT, this FN2 is a classic case of 'The pictures do not do it justice' Everything from the wheels to the large rear wing blend in very nicely. The rear of the car is stripped out and that was a weight loss of some 100 plus kg along with GRP panels and various other interior removals. The two front seats are now recaro bucket seats with five point harnesses to boot. These seats are excellent, the driving position is great and you certainly feel at one with the car.

IMG_1929.jpg

To the right of the dash are three gauges informing you of oil temp etc.

IMG_1938.jpg

IMG_1939.jpg

Even the display has a 'Mugen' emblem which I thought was a nice touch.

IMG_1940.jpg

Now that you have a basic feeling of what the car looks like, on to the drive..

Honda had a pre-planned route, I was solitary driving this so I figured I would go out driving on my own little route, rather than having to look at a route card at every turning, I am fairly familiar with the area so combined it with a bit of twisty b-road and dual carriageway driving.

Immediately when you push the engine start you get a good feeling inside, the car sounds very nice indeed, one thing I did notice straight away when driving sedately along is that it is not a crashy or bumpy ride. I was amazed at how comfy it was in actual fact.

The rear beam remains the same (oh no I hear you say) but with mugen springs and dampers which seems to be a 100% improvement on my experience with the classic FN2, the front shocks and springs are also Mugen.

As I joined the dual carriageway I noticed straight away that this car was very torquey, the engine sung beautifully and pulled very hard indeed, in any gear you wanted to be in, the car is running 240bhp thanks to uprated cams (Mugen), pistons, a bespoke ECU, the intake is Mugen and that along with the RBC inlet manifold works wonders. I kid you not this car is probably one of the fastest and effortless point to point FWD cars I have ever had the pleasure of driving. There were two issues, there was a bit of exhaust resonance between 70-80mph but Colin of Mugen UK mentioned this was going to be resolved when Mugen Japan fly over in September for yet more tweaks to the car. :cool::eek:

One thing I was thankful for were the 5 point harnesses, I hit the brake pedal fairly hard, and I almost went through the windscreen, the brakes were immense, Mugen monoblock calirpers and pads seem to work pretty damn good!

On to the b-road and as I have previously mentioned, the car out handles and performs any other car I have driven, yes I would say it is better than some of the cars I have owned, including UK EP3 CTR, DC5 Integra and JDM EP3 CTR. I would go as far as saying the handling is close to that of my AWD EVO VI. One thing the car gave me was pure confidence, you can throw it in to any corner you like and it will navigate you round, Chris mentioned he has under steer - i personally never experienced this. the car was running on Advan A048's which are a great tyre.

Before I knew it my time with this car was over, I only wish I could have driven it longer, all day in fact! I even had to put petrol in it, the attendant got out and took pics on her phone! Chris was quite lucky in that he got to drive it along to Silverstone from the dealership, as a pilot in another car seeing the FN2 behind me (;)) it looked menacing, the front end is very aggressive and on full chat it sounds like a touring car.

In essence - I loved the thing, would I buy one? I would indeed - if this were to go on sale I have little doubt it would be the king of Hot hatches, a pure example of engineering excellence.

I even raised a smile :D

Well done Honda/Mugen :smt023

Some other pics..

Chris talking to Colin the Mugen rep post drive.

IMG_1916.jpg

IMG_1900.jpg

IMG_1901.jpg

IMG_1902.jpg

IMG_1903.jpg

IMG_1905.jpg

IMG_1907.jpg

IMG_1917.jpg

IMG_1925.jpg

IMG_1926.jpg

IMG_1928.jpg

IMG_1929.jpg

IMG_1932.jpg

IMG_1933.jpg

IMG_1934.jpg

IMG_1935.jpg

IMG_1937.jpg

Thanks for the review - good one, and we at Mugen are really happy that the car exceeded your expectations.
We are pleased that we were able to get some genuine feedback from real owners. I didn't really get too many negative feedback points over the course of the day, so it looks like most of what we have done has had the desired effect.
Thanks for all your help.

No problem at all Colin, thanks for the invite :smt023

Who is reviewing the car next?

Stu

Next one to appear in print should be Top Gear Mag any day now, then there is more to come from Autocar (not sure whether web or print, or both) and the next issue of EVO. The EVO one should be of particular interest to all FN2 owners (but can't say too much before mag comes out).
There are a few more things lined up for the car over the next few weeks, and then we can put it through the crusher (not really!).

The EVO one should be of particular interest to all FN2 owners (but can't say too much before mag comes out).

That's got to be FD2 vs FN2? Would certainly be a pretty good test :twisted:

Nice review Stu, from the 3 reviews i've read now it sounds like a fantastic car. Will have to pick up TG and Evo I think. I wonder if they'll sell it in Aus...

Wow, great review and extremely positive from you Stuart! Sounds like there maybe some hope for the future of hot hatches in the UK.

How would this FN2 compare to the likes of the FD2? Same power it sounds like but with maybe an even lighter body what with the rear stripped out.

I'd love to see one in the flesh, let alone take a test drive. I suppose it will all come down to price at the end of the day if this car were to go on sale.

Wow, great review and extremely positive from you Stuart! Sounds like there maybe some hope for the future of hot hatches in the UK.

How would this FN2 compare to the likes of the FD2? Same power it sounds like but with maybe an even lighter body what with the rear stripped out.

I'd love to see one in the flesh, let alone take a test drive. I suppose it will all come down to price at the end of the day if this car were to go on sale.

I have driven the FD2 as well and I prefer the Mugen FN2.

There, I said it. I never thought I would.

Wow, must be a fantastic car then! Are Mugen goin to put it into production or is it still all a bit of "testing the water"?

It certainly is mate. I have also written a review if you've not already seen it.

Yes, Mugen are testing the water at the moment. However I think they would be daft not to release it. It should be a massive success in my eyes if the price is right.

Sounds good guys.

I like this car, everything about it TBH, and by the sounds of things it lives up to its name on the road too.

Lets hope Honda/Mugen price it sensibly, as teh Focus RS is what, about 25K?

I did read somewhere though that its two cars, its a standard FN2 car then with a different engine, dampers, etc.. fitted afterwards so to buy it it looks like its going to cost a fair wack as you would be buying certain aspects fo teh car twice.

The drive sounds good but it just looks OTT for an everyday car to me (no back seats, buckets), seems more like a track day car.......... in that case you'd get a Caterham or Atom........

The drive sounds good but it just looks OTT for an everyday car to me (no back seats, buckets), seems more like a track day car.......... in that case you'd get a Caterham or Atom........

Yeah, good point that.

I keep forgeting that it doesnt have rear seats.

I have driven the FD2 as well and I prefer the Mugen FN2.

Until you want a lift to the pub :lol::lol:

Pricing is going to make or break this. If it's too close to stuff like an Atom or Caterham it may not do well.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pricing is going to make or break this. If it's too close to stuff like an Atom or Caterham it may not do well.

True.

But maybe this will be a track car you can use everyday, like when it rains :lol: .

But I see what you're saying.

Back