• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 New FN2

Hi there guys, I'm also from SA. Thanks for accepting me on your forum. Looks awesome!! I'm looking at buying a new CTR FN2 and would just like your opinion on the vehicle please. Can't wait to get the puppy. I'm really excited. Keep up the great site. Our applications don't get accepted here in SA to join our Hondaboys forum, so we all have to go to the guys that know what they're doing. Ta :lol:

Welcome bigH.

We've had our CTR Championship White for 5 days now. She's brilliant, love the feeling you get on acceleration just sheer power in V-TEC mode. The handling is stunning.
You will love it, it will put the biggest smile on your face.
Still getting used to the Sat Nav+HFT

Enjoy

I know that I will love it. Don't even have it yet and already in love with it!!! :p I just love the looks and the sound of the beast. Gives me goosebumps :)

Hello & Welcome mate.

They are nice cars. Hope it gives you thousands of miles of joy!

Haha, ta guys. Cnt w8 to get her :) Have any of u experienced any problems with ur CTR yet?

I dnt know of any big issues with the CTR, but maybe any of u have experienced anything that I should know of before I buy her :p

They are nice cars, it depends on what you are looking for though - I have one, but I much prefer the EP3 - that's a proper Type-R IMO.

I would advise you to drive them both (If the EP is available in SA) before you buy. I did, but was impatient in my search for an un-molested EP, plus I got a 0% on my FN2 which made the deal that more appetising - that said, I'm not satisfied after 3,500 miles and 6 months (But that's just me).

That's an honest take - I'd like to think of myself as an enthusiast which is why I have opined bluntly. Either way, whatever you are looking for from your Type-R I hope you find it in the FN, because it isn't a bad car, it's just not the car for me.

Common, but not serious, issues include the following:

- Cluth Master Cylinder can click/creak (Warranty Claim)
- The cockpit/dash whilst beautiful can rattle/squeak (Dealer can have a look at this under warranty - although they can't rectify the situations in all cases I have read/experienced)
- The rear shocks can groan (Warranty)
- Some cars rear Springs have been known to have been fitted upside down, resulting in a groan/squeak (Warranty can resolve this)

Other than that - there really isn't any serious issues with the car.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks alot bud. Yeah, we don't get the EP3 in SA (stupid country). So we're actually limited to choosing the FN2. But i've driven the car and I think it's an absolute stunner. Thanks for listing ur finding, will keep a lookout for the probs u listed....

Thanks alot bud. Yeah, we don't get the EP3 in SA (stupid country). So we're actually limited to choosing the FN2. But i've driven the car and I think it's an absolute stunner. Thanks for listing ur finding, will keep a lookout for the probs u listed....

You're very welcome matey. At least you got the Great White Sharks though! :twisted:

The FN2 is definitely worth taking a punt on, if you're particularly interested in the CTR... Or there's always the Integra :twisted: (If you get those in SA)

As for the issues, they aren't serious - they can be annoying but nothing that invariably can't be fixed.

Enjoy your CTR - what colour will you be going for? Bare in mind that C/W does not come with C/W wheels, and possibly the Grille Badge/Decal Kit like it does in the UK - bizzarley :confused: :evil:

Edit: Also, watch the text speak, as it's use is frowned upon on this site. :D

Ok, no problem. Unfortunately we also don't have the Integra here. They really limit us to what fun we can have. All we get from Honda is 1. Civic (Normal Vtec and Type R also Championship Edition) 2. S2000 3. Jazz 4. CR-V 5. FR-V. And that is it. And I don't want to buy a GTi or a ST as they are very common on our roads and, really, they just aren't Hondas :) And my apologies for text speak, didn't know it wasn't allowed. Won't happen again. O, and I'm getting a Red one. Really can't wait to cruise around with her. Take her to the Mountain Passes in Cape Town. Its beautiful

Hey Big H

We're in a similar boat, it would seem. I'm another South African that is yet to be accepted in a local forum.

I've had my Night Hawk Black FN2 R for about 3 weeks and I'm loving every moment of it! Coincidentally I was just as excited with sleepless nights post-order and the obligatory delay or two! I also wanted Milano Red (as the Championship Edition is more expensive than I was willing to pay) and only Milano Red, but convinced the guys at Tygerberg Honda to give me a decent discount since the the black doesn't seem to sell too well here. Maybe you should give it a whirl? Strangely enough I'm falling for the colour more and more each day. It's just a lot of effort to keep her glistening, as dust seems to be just as attracted to her as I am.

I test drove a few of the competitors (including the GTI and Renaultsport) and none seem to be as invloving and entertaining as the R. What's more is that the Honda engineers haven't lost the old VTec's character (unfortunately we didn't get the previous R ranges here, so my frame of reference is based primarily on the 117kw EK 1.6 VTi - known as the "VTEC" is South Africa) , with the R completely evolving from 5400 RPM onwards.

I could go on for days - seriously! Basically I've wanted the EK VTi (VTEC) since the year 2000 and subsequently wanted the FN2 Type R since I read the first articles. I fell even deeper in love with the car after I test drove it and now that I own it, I'm loving it more and more each day as I'm learning to drive her properly.

PS Does anybody know where the ideal shifting point on the FN2 R is? I've been experimenting , but can't quite put my finger on it!

Cheers

PS Does anybody know where the ideal shifting point on the FN2 R is? I've been experimenting , but can't quite put my finger on it!

For normal driving I tend to change around 4k rpm. When nailing just do it on the redline.

Haha, good one with the apartheid one there. Thank You r19122, it seems like they dont accept anyone on our Hondaboys site. Just takes forever and ever. Im picking her up sometime next week. Really can't wait anymore. Got a Milano Red one from Honda Edenvale (r19122 should know where it is). And yes, just nail that puppy to the redline. I will be driving in Vtec most of the time as I'm addicted to the sound of the beast. I really wouldn't have cared if I got a Black one either. They are all beautiful cars. You must enjoy your baby r19122. I'm sure she will give you endless days of pleasure.

Yeah I have a 90km drive between Ceres and Paarl to do this afternoon, BigH, so I'm really looking forward to it. To contextualize for those of you not from RSA, it's basically a 90km B-road drive through a primarily rural landscape. Good fun!

Yeah, we might not have some of the best roads in the world, but they really are some of the most scenic and winding roads you'll find anywhere. Enjoy your drive brother. Wish I could do it now aswell. You're making me jealous

Back