• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

4th Gen Preludes

The vtec is the only one to go for as the other engines will feel sluggish. The weight Im guessing was around the 1350kg mark, althoguh there were lightweight versions (no sunroof, AC, CC, ABS, 4WS, etc), good for tracks.

5th gen is my preferred shape, and if you're serious about one you ought to go for a Type S as its 217bhp, uprated suspension, exhaust, intake, ATTS.

The Prelude (particuarly the 4th gen) IMO is pound for power the best value "sports" car although you have to be careful, with their age they can be a minefield. Many are abused and chavved and if the 4WS breaks it's tres expensive.

Here, have some cut and paste of the type s :) ...

The Honda Prelude Type S, was only available in Japan. It was equipped with the 2.2L H22A, featuring VTEC and producing 217 hp (162 kW; 220 PS) @ 7200 rpm and 163 lb·ft (221 Nm) @ 6500 rpm. With a compression ratio of 11.0:1, 87.0 mm (3.4 in) bore x 90.7 mm (3.6 in) stroke and VTEC-valve timing, lift and duration were adjusted to 12.2 mm (0.5 in) intake and 11.2 mm (0.4 in) exhaust. Honda also overhauled the air box and replaced it with a more efficient design that is often referred to as Dynamic Chambering, along with a larger throttle body design bored to 62 mm (as opposed to the previous 60 mm). The exhaust system was also treated to a redesign, with the pipe cross sections becoming more cylindrical rather than oval. The three-way catalytic converter was also increased in size, as well as the exhaust piping from 50.8 mm (2.00 in) to 57 mm (2.25 in) (tToV). In addition to a higher output engine both Type S and USDM Type SH featured an overhauled front suspension layout which offered a more effective camber curve. The fifth generation curb weight was 1310 kg (2882 lb), and ground clearance was 140 mm (5.5 in). Unlike the SiR S-spec that had an LSD, the Type S acquired the Honda technology known as the Active Torque Transfer System (ATTS). The gearing on the Type S matches all other fifth-generation Preludes that had a manual transmission except for the five-speed 2.2 VTi VTEC and had a final drive ratio of 4.266:1. The Type S had an Active Control ABS system, different from the others which had the standard ABS systems. The interior featured newly developed Cabron and Excene upholstered seats which most people see it as leather and alcantara laced with red stitching. Manufacturer styling options included seat lettering. The exterior styling of fifth generation Preludes was standardized for most models.

This is my old 4th Gen.
39368506.jpg

And this is my current 5th gen
20090322a.jpg

25435573.jpg

45352519.jpg

84519334.jpg

Go on, you know you want to :p

If you have any more questions I'm here to help :)

Supposedly the JDM 2.2 VTEC kicks out 197bhp, which is more than the 1.8 teggy is it not (187bhp I think)?

That said the Prelude must be twice the weight of an integra lol.

And yes you are correct, if the engine is a red top it is 197 :)

5th gen is a beauty too, but I'm just sold on the 4th gens... Particularly this fine example, going for £750:
SDC11562.jpg

SDC11563.jpg

3rd gens are bargaintastic. And super fun too.

I had this for a few months last year, I think I paid something like £450 for it. Had to pick it up from Essex and drive back. That was fun.

I loved it, but wasn't really practical enough for me to keep:

19032009386.jpg

im really wanted one of these now! like both gen 4 and 5 but my money would be a 5, dont see to many my way. type s's look smart!

Back