• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

The MOT

The MOT certificate

The MOT certificate confirms that at the time of the test, without dismantling it, the vehicle met the minimum acceptable environmental and road safety standards required by law. It doesn’t mean that the vehicle is roadworthy for the length of time the certificate is valid. The MOT certificate is also no guarantee of the general mechanical condition of your vehicle. The test doesn’t cover the condition of the engine, clutch or gearbox.

What the MOT test includes

The MOT looks at some important items on your car to see that they meet key legal requirements at the time of test.

The body and vehicle structure
Is free from excessive corrosion or damage in specific areas and there are no sharp edges likely to cause injury.
The fuel System
Has no leaks and the fuel cap fastens and seals securely. The fuel cap will need to be opened so be sure the key is available.
The exhaust emissions
The vehicle meets the requirements for exhaust emissions, dependant on the age and fuel type of the vehicle.
The exhaust system
Is secure, complete, without serious leaks and silences effectively.
The seat belts
All belts installed are checked for type, condition, operation and security. All compulsory seat belts must be in place.
The seats
The front seats are secure. Front and rear back seats can be secured in the upright position.

dg_177498.jpg
Components to be inspected

The doors
Latch securely in closed position. Front doors should open from inside and outside the vehicle. Rear doors may need to be opened to gain access to testable items.
The mirrors
The minimum numbers are on the vehicle, their condition and security.
Load security
Boot or tailgate can be secured in the closed position.
The brakes
Their condition, operation and performance (efficiency test). Note the removal of the road wheels is not part of the test.
The tyres and wheels
Their condition, security, size, type and tread depth. Spare tyres are not inspected.
The registration plates
Their condition, security, characters correctly formed and spaced.

The lights
Their condition, operation and security. Headlamps for aim.
The bonnet
Securely latches in the closed position.
The wipers and washers
Operate to give the driver a clear view ahead.
The windscreen
Its condition and the driver’s view of the road.
The horn
Operates correctly and is of a suitable type.
The steering and suspension
Are of a satisfactory condition and operation.
The vehicle identification number (VIN)
Is on vehicles first used on or after 1 August 1980. Not more than one different VIN is displayed except on multistage build vehicles.

Where to go for an MOT test

There are around 19,000 garages authorised as MOT test stations across the country that can carry out your MOT test. The blue three triangles logo is displayed to identify authorised test stations. The maximum fee for the test must be displayed on a poster inside every test station. The station, however, can charge less than what is on the poster if they want to.

How vehicles are tested

MOT test stations have designated test bays where they conduct the test, using a range of equipment that meets the required specification for MOT testing. The standard test procedures are laid out in an inspection manual that the test station should make available on request.
If your vehicle has failed the test, you’ll be given a failure document with reference to this manual. You can watch the test from a designated viewing area but you are not allowed to interrupt the tester while he is working.
All MOT testers have been on a training course with the Vehicle and Operator Services Agency (VOSA) and their test results are checked regularly.

Who supervises the scheme?

VOSA is the government agency responsible for supervising the MOT scheme. It does this by:

• authorising MOT test stations and approving MOT testers
  • setting standards for testing and requirements for authorisation for the MOT test station and testers
  • training authorised examiners and MOT testers
  • visiting MOT test stations and carrying out checks to ensure testing standards and facilities are maintained
  • giving advice and taking disciplinary action where tests are not being carried out to the required standards
  • dealing with appeals and complaints from MOT customers

my friend got his jdm gt4 celica mot today, the test said emission test dont matter on a import, as the ecu and other stuff are set up different to the uk ? it passed anyway

Thanks for replies. rf55 Was ur **'s celica De-catted? That really is my concern or u saying weather its catted or not emission doesnt matter? Cheers bud

Thanks for replies. rf55 Was ur **'s celica De-catted? That really is my concern or u saying weather its catted or not emission doesnt matter? Cheers bud

Text speak is not allowed on this forum.

Final warning.

What you mean final warning ive not been on the site long & have only done it once before. Kind of force of habit as ive been text writing for so long, Will try not to do it again. :(

What you mean final warning ive not been on the site long & have only done it once before. Kind of force of habit as ive been text writing for so long, Will try not to do it again. :(

You've received a pm when you first signed up that clearly states the forum rules, including text speak. There are also numerous warnings and announcements around the site. So you've had more than one warning before you even post. Being firm with this is apparently the only way people listen.

Thanks for your co-operation :smt023.

Just measured my tyre tread depth as I got a advisory on my MOT 6 weeks ago saying I had 2mm on the rears.

5mm across the three grooves on the front which I expected, but 3mm n/s rear, 4mm o/s rear across the full tread depth. Wear indicators are a mile off.

Obviously I'm happy I've got a few miles left in them but I'm a bit miffed I got an advisory for what looks like Honda trying to do me out of two tyres early.

:confused:

The Honda near me told me I needed 4 disks and pads all round when I had it serviced. I bought the lot to find that I didn't actually need them, fortunately I had them bought for me from eBay and another website and fitted them myself as Honda quoted some rediculous figure like £600 for front and rear without labour.

Hi does anyone know if my car will fail M.O.T being De-Catted, 1996 Integra. Cheers :)

Yes, it will fail on the emission test.

Thats not completey true. I use to make de-cat pipes for 4g Preludes and one of the guys I made one for said his 'lude passed emissions even without the CAT in place.

In fact I'm pretty sure mine passed but the guy I used to go to was fairly relaxed..

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

No mention of aftermarket HIDs or them needing self levellers or washers.

section 1.7 Reason for rejection #2

A headlamp levelling or cleaning device inoperative or otherwise obviously defective.

And? That just means if a self levelling system or washer system is fitted, it must be functional. No mention of cars with aftermarket HID lights requiring them though.

Back