• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

The MOT

I've got a friendly MOT tester. He'd turn a blind eye to things that could happen as you drive out of the test centre after you "passed".

Luckily mine has flown through every year regardless.

I've got a friendly MOT tester. He'd turn a blind eye to things that could happen as you drive out of the test centre after you "passed".

Luckily mine has flown through every year regardless.

This. I only got one fail with mine. That was because one of the tyres had fcuked up. Hour later pass for free.

Might just change the bulbs then and take my HIDs out for the M.O.T! Easier that having to mess about putting working washer and levelling systems on!!!

No mention of you having to have a washer or leveller fitted.

It's best to call your local MOT test station first.

It would be a pain for DC5 owners for example who don't know a friendly place and if they would fail without the auto leveller and washer.

But according to the manual which is posted on page 2 iirc, you don't need to have them fitted.

Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system.
Where such systems are fitted, they must work; however, it is accepted that it may not be possible to readily determine the functioning of self levelling systems. In such cases, the benefit of the doubt must be given.
Headlamp washers may work in conjunction with the windscreen washers (when the dipped beam headlamps are switched on) or by a separate switch.

No mention of aftermarket HIDs or them needing self levellers or washers.

Seems the PDF has been removed.

Shame I didn't download it, but it is direct from the VOSA manual.

Right I've uploaded it to my Dropbox

2012 MOT Inspection Manual

Hopefully this will work, if it doesn't I'll sort it when I get home from work.

Might be an idea for a mod to put this link in the OP, I'll update my old DFT link

Last edited by a moderator:
Back to HIDs

I thought the new laws on it were out already , you need the propper projection lenses with washer jets as well ...or so I've heard?

It doesn't say anywhere in the manuals published by VOSA & DfT (linked in post above) that a reason for failure is not having washer jets for the headlights, all it says that if fitted they must work.

I spoke to my mate who is an MOT tester (and has HID's fitted to his motor) and he advised me that a vehicle will only fail an MOT with HID's if the manufacturer fitted self leveling and headlamp washers to the vehicle from factory. IE; If a Civic Type R came out if the production line with HID's with self leveling and washers, then if you retro fit HID's to your vehicle it must have the same. I dont know any CTR's with headlamp wahers. Not sure about the self leveling though.

Here's a link to VOSA and are the governing body:

http://www.transportoffice.gov.uk/c...nualsandguides/mottestingmanualsandguides.htm

"Vehicles equipped with High Intensity Discharge (HID) or LED dipped beam headlamps may be fitted with headlamp washers and a suspension or headlamp self levelling system."
"Where such systems are fitted, they must work"

The operative word being "may"
;)

Just checked and saw that the link does not take you to the right place. Once the link is opened, click "Browse" on "Inspection Manual for Classes 3, 4, 5 and 7 Vehicles". Then click "Next page" at the top. Then "Section 1" and lastly "1.7 Headlamps". Sorry for the grief. Hope this helps

FN2 owners are fecked then because they all came with HIDs, washers and self levelling from the factory after the 2009 facelift.

Only if it was an optional extra for your vehicle on the year it was made. If the FN2 didn't come with Hid's pre 09 and the owner fits an after market kit, it does not one to have washers.

Only if it was an optional extra for your vehicle on the year it was made. If the FN2 didn't come with Hid's pre 09 and the owner fits an after market kit, it does not one to have washers.

:lol:

Really workable system. As if an MOT tester is going to know whether HIDs were an optional extra on every single make and model that rolls through the doors.

Practically it boils down to, if the car has headlight washers fitted, they've got to work.

thanks for the update shaenei. i know a few others who have passed also, (without headlight washers).

In truth, as long as they work, they are at a legal level and the pattern is correct, no MOT tester realistically gives a **** weather it has washers or not.

Back