• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

TypeGRRR's CR-X siR - Update: 22/04/15 POWER

I took the car for it's MOT today and it passed with just a couple of advisories. :) It was fantastic to get behind the wheel again after 19 months! It drove excellently and I actually forgot how fast it was, it made me wonder why I'm going through the trouble and expense of an engine swap. :rolleyes:

To make it perform better and go faster... ;)

I knew there was a reason! :lol:

I received the final bits through for my engine/gearbox swap; Innovative engine/gearbox mounts and some Spoon magnetic drain plugs. Also after some high speed wobble on my last dyno run (2011), I decided to get some RAYS spigot rings for my TE37s, in case it wasn't down to a suspected wheel/tyre balancing issue.

random-bits_zpsb5ee80af.jpg

I bought these mats too, the carpet is in great condition, although the edging has gone a bit fluffy in places, so I may get them rewhipped. These are infinitely better than the ones I already have in the car though. :)

floor-mats_zps62f162bc.jpg

Finally I picked up a T-shirt that my car was a muse for, which is really cool (or not, depending on your viewpoint). :lol:

6two1-t-shirt_zps407b202a.jpg

Just caught up with your latest updates Chris. I'm glad you're enjoying the car bud, the new parts should make it superb.

2014 Update: A lot of sitting around, an ignition fault and a dyno figure…

Not much exciting happened last year, after I dropped the car off at the beginning of April to have the engine/gearbox/tuning completed, it sat there a very long time before I got it back… the best part of 6 months!

They finally dropped the car off to me in late September and I only got to drive the car a day before I was suffering a problem with the ignition. A local(ish) CRX forum member kindly offered to fix the problem, which he did, but I didn’t have the car working till the middle of October by which time I really wanted it back in winter storage.

I drove the car during the last two weeks of a pretty cold/wet October and didn’t really get to exploit it’s full potential before laying it up for winter.

The car made 205.5bhp (190whp) and 140lbft, figures that I wasn’t overly excited about, but I was assured by my tuner that the dyno was very tight and that a couple of weeks earlier he had mapped a healthy DC2 that only made 185bhp after tuning.

From what I could tell at the time is that the car was extremely responsive and very un-Honda-like where it just wanted to go in any gear, at any revs. I also noticed the clutch was pretty savage in its engagement and it may as well of had an on/off switch.

Here’s the Dyno graph:

image1_zps7afb1438.png

Update April 2015 - MOT and annual CRX Santa Pod meet

I took the car out of storage at the beginning of this month and got the all clear from the MOT station. He literately commented how clean it was underneath… which amused me highly.

I been driving the car round for a few weeks now and it really is a hoot to drive. It’s a bit of a challenge, but very rewarding at the same time. It takes concentration to pull away smoothly, requires a blip of the throttle on the down changes and you need to be awake if you go near the loud pedal. With all the changes, this certainly isn’t a great daily car (well not at my age anyway), but then I’m using it as a fun summer car now, so it’s just what I’m after! :D

I took the car to Santa Pod for the annual CRX meet at the weekend and was blown away by the times I was achieving. All ranging between 13.5-13.7 seconds and 106-107mph. My best time being 13.58 @ 106.9mph! :D :D

None of my launches were particularly good either and I was suffering a little with wheel hop, giving me pretty poor 60ft times. I’m hoping to switch my tyres to R888Rs when they are available (soon), fit my master poly bush kit and get hold of a innovative traction bar to remedy some of the issues I was experiencing. Then I should be able to shave another 3-4 tenths off my time.

I’m hoping to get it on track a couple of times this year, but I’m still wary that my brakes weren’t up to the job on my last outing with seemingly less power. So I’m currently on the hunt for some EP3 calipers/carriers/300mm discs which can ‘just’ be persuaded to fit under my 15” wheels.

I’ll leave you with a snap from the Pod meet.

Chris.

crx05_zps2duk2lvk.jpg

I do love this motor Chris.

Still got the image in my head when you were behind me on some twisties. Looked like someone was chasing me in a go-kart.

Absolutely lovely, and fantastic times! Credit to you bud. :smt023

I do love this motor Chris.

Still got the image in my head when you were behind me on some twisties. Looked like someone was chasing me in a go-kart.

Absolutely lovely, and fantastic times! Credit to you bud. :smt023

Cheers guys. :)

Both look awesome! What year is the z ? Mines a 10.

It's a 2011 GT, lots of toys and extras... Great car which doesn't quite live up to the mpg claims... Still mega cheap to run though £20 tax, £190 insurance and 40+mpg.

crz03_zpsubjcfbon.jpg

crz04_zps5dpwbg9o.jpg

crz05_zpsjam9ma6e.jpg

Were there any final additions to the b18 spec?... I just read backs few pages to see what it was. I bet that thing's a hoot.

The final spec was:

BLOCK

• Block B18C4, with new liners over-bored to 81.5mm
  • Nippon Cast High Comp Pistons (EK9 spec)
  • Polished ITR crank
  • OEM ITR Rods
  • New ACL Race bearings
  • New OEM Honda Oil Pump
  • Fully balanced assembly

HEAD

• B18C4 Head
  • Hot tanked, cleaned and skimmed
  • New Valve Guides
  • New OEM Honda Stem seals
  • Skunk2 LMAs
  • New Supertech Valve Springs
  • New Supertech Titanium Valve Retainers
  • BuddyClub Spec 3+ Cams
  • AC Adjustable Cam Gears
  • New ARP Head studs

ENGINE MISC

• Full OEM Honda engine rebuild gasket kit
  • New Cambelt / Waterpump
  • Light weight flywheel

ECU / IGNITION / FUELLING

• OBD0-1 ECU Conversion harness
  • OBD0-2 Dizzy Harness
  • OBD2 Distributor
  • OBD1 chipped ECU
  • Hondata S300
  • 345cc Prelude 2.2 VTEC injectors
  • AEM Fuel Rail

EXHAUST/INLET MANIFOLDS
  • Tegiwa (Toda Rep) exhaust manifold
  • Skunk2 Pro Series intake manifold
  • Skunk2 Pro Series 68mm throttle body
  • Skunk2 Thermal Gaskets
  • EK9 Throttle Cable

GEARBOX

• 96' Spec DC2 S80 Gearbox
  • Cable to hydro converter
  • HPC Stage 2 Drive shafts
  • New Competition Clutch Stage 2

And I think that's it... :rolleyes:

I bet that thing's a hoot.
It's very entertaining. :twisted: Just need to find excuses to drive it at the moment...

Sorry to dig up an old thread, Just wondering if this car was still going out of interest ?. Been chatting about crx's today and made me think of this thread from years ago

Back