• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Lower ball joint replacement. EP3

Griffin

Banned for being a tit
Main dealerships will only sell you a complete lower arm, knuckle and ball joint for the replacement of the lower ball joint. quote from main dealership for complete unit £183.72 inc vat. excluding fitting. i paid £39 inc next day delivery and fixed the problem myself. this guide is for those who dont mind getting there hands dirty and have the availability to use tools.

I purchased the ball joint from: www.atozmotorspares.co.uk (Tel: 01924 451277)
for honda civic type r ep3 2001< lower ball joint.

direct link to part... http://atozmotorist.co.uk/honda/710-honda-civic-type-r-lower-suspension-arm-ball-joint-x1-.html

The tools needed are...

12mm, 17mm, 19mm spanners
22mm, 36mm sockets and bar
torque wrench
long nose pliers
Soft hammer, hydraulic press, vice
Flat and philips screwdriver
5mm allen key
Ball joint splitter
Jack
WD40, Brake cleaner

Note: I would advise, the night before spray all bolts with 'WD40' to give time for deep penetration and ease the removal of stubborn bolts.

1_8.jpg (1.4 MB)

jack front wheel off the floor, i used a trolly jack as its safe enough to work around as it adds more support than normal jacks.

DSC04038.jpg (1.4 MB)

Remove 2x bolts holding brake calliper using '17mm spanner'

DSC04039.jpg (1.2 MB)

remove screw holding brake caliper hose attached to lower arm '12mm spanner'. slide brake calliper away from disc, there is enough hose to lay the calliper on the floor, do not let calliper hang from hose.

DSC04058.jpg (1.5 MB)

remove abs wheel sensor '10mm spanner' and move out the way.

DSC04041.jpg (1.5 MB)

use a phillips screwdriver or a impact wrench to remove the 2x countersunk retaining screws, using a soft hammer tap the rear of the disc whilst rotating to remove disc.

DSC04046.jpg (1.5 MB)

undo the anti roll bar linkage '14mm spanner, 5mm allen key'. watch your fingers as this part holds some tension, use of a soft hammer may be needed.

DSC04051.jpg (1.2 MB)

remove center shaft nut '36mm socket'. this is on real tight and peened onto the shaft. a breaker bar is useful with a length of pipe on the end.

DSC04053.jpg (1.5 MB)

remove nut retainer clip from bottom of lower ball joint.

DSC04054.jpg (1.5 MB)

remove lower ball joint nut '17mm spanner'

DSC04055.jpg (1.5 MB)

using a ball joint splitter, split the joint. i find it useful to hammer the splitter in tight then hit the side of the joint, this normally works but if you like doing it the hard way then thats your choice.

DSC04056.jpg (1.5 MB)

undo the 2x top arm bolts '22mm socket, 17mm socket'

DSC04060.jpg (1.2 MB)

tap the bolts free from corrosion and they should pull out with a bit of a jiggle.

DSC04062.jpg (1.2 MB)

holding the shaft from the rear of the hub to ensure it is not pulled from the gearbox tap the front side of the shaft until it is free of the hub.

DSC04064.jpg (1.3 MB)

there we go one arm.

DSC04066.jpg (1.2 MB)

the old ball joint may have to be pressed out but i found a copper mallet just as easy as the ball joint is not held all that tight.

DSC04067.jpg (1.6 MB)

spot the difference:p

Photo0034.jpg (1.3 MB)

after giving the lower arm a bit of a scrub i used some brake cleaner to clean any grease from the joint hole and from the new ball joint.

Photo0036.jpg (1.4 MB)

this is not a normal step but i applied some loctite bearing retainer to the new ball joint.

Photo0037.jpg (1.4 MB)

install new joint, make sure its facing outwards.

Photo0038.jpg (1.2 MB)

this is the press i used, unfortunately i deleted the action photo by accident but i used a piece of 2" tube and mounted the arm upside down in the press.

DSC04069.jpg (1.5 MB)

there we have it. ball joint fitted.

DSC04088.jpg (1.4 MB)

rebuild in reverse order to removal and tighten all bolts to stated torque.

DSC04092.jpg (1.4 MB)

check all fixings and bolts and check ball joint rubber.

DSC04095.jpg (1.5 MB)

replace wheel and take for test drive.

DSC04074.jpg (1.5 MB)

Sorted.

torque wrench settings

spindle nut 181lbf-ft
wheel nuts 80lbf-ft
brake calliper bolts 80lbf-ft
brake calliper hose screw 26lbf-ft
sensor screw 7.2lbf-ft
anti roll linkage 29lbf-ft
arm top bolts 116lbf-ft
lower ball joint 47lbf-lb

Last edited by a moderator:
thanks for the writeup i'll be changing mine soon!

no worries mate. This one was repaired on the dorris's CTR. now my one has started knocking so i think its a common problem. Best to keep the common problems as cheap as possible imo.

Excellent post,which brand are ball joint,Is there somewhere else to buy separately?

This pic is absolutely priceless
DSC04074.jpg

Excellent post,which brand are ball joint,Is there somewhere else to buy separately?

hi Marxx, i think the ball joints were oem spec but i cannot remember what make they were as it was quite a whilst ago, sorry fella :)

This pic is absolutely priceless
DSC04074.jpg

oi you cheeky git :lol:, that was almost a year ago, how i have withered :).

Superb write up just done both of mine total cost 40 pounds and some skint knuckles lol. No pain no gain....

Sent from my BlackBerry 9105 using Tapatalk

Back