• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to clean your engine bay

Had a shufty at this thread this morning. :smt023

I'd this again yesterday. Took me 1/2 an hour and the majority of that time was spent fiddling with the cling film. The cleaning bit it too easy.

Dott, you've got the spray not the foam. You need the foam.

I think Halfrauds only do the spray and that's where I'm headed next Thursday morning. :(

I think Halfrauds only do the spray and that's where I'm headed next Thursday morning. :(

They do both. They're both in very similar cans. You want the one with foam action on it.

The foam stays on for longer as prevously stated. It also covers a larger area so you use less of it. Gives you more if you need to do a second coat on anything.

Wilco also do it if yu have one of them near you. If you're still struggling, let me know and I'll see if I can get some and you can square me up at JAE.

I used this today too for mine.

Foam is awesome as it just floats into all the gaps and sticks there. Then as it dies down it sticks as a film.

They do both. They're both in very similar cans. You want the one with foam action on it.

The foam stays on for longer as prevously stated. It also covers a larger area so you use less of it. Gives you more if you need to do a second coat on anything.

Wilco also do it if yu have one of them near you. If you're still struggling, let me know and I'll see if I can get some and you can square me up at JAE.

Foam it is.

Not a problem T, no Wilcos near me. They have stores North of Norwich, but haven't ventured across the Pennines yet.

I've just looked on the webby for Halfrauds to be honest. They had the aerosol and pump action spray but no mention of foam. Will check it out in person early on Thursday am. :smt023

Great guide, I've been just spraying engine degreaser and pressure washing it off. Possibly not too healthy for the engine, but i'm sure many people do the same.

Nice thread, I use gunk on mine, don't use the hose though, just wipe down with a damp rag then use a dry rag after. I love the tooth brush method that's my favorite tool lol.

I finally got round to doing mine today. i think i need to get a good cloth in about and toothbrush again but its better than before. the degreaser i used i just sprayed on and hosed it off and it was good but i need to put a bit more time in to it next time.

Oh and the cam cover paint peeling wasnt me was like that when i got it but going to try get a new one painted blue and get gold cam bolts and gold mudgen cap etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question on the hosing off part of the job.

Does the engine need to be running whilst doing this and are there any parts of the engine bay that should be kept clear of direct contact with water?

Mine needs a major clean. Just bought it today and i need to get stuck in.

3rdHondaCivicTypeR019_zps2e913816.jpg

This was mine after a quick clean using gunk. I don't bother with the hose just a brush, damp rag, bucket of water (for the damp rag) and a dry rag to go over it and dry it. It does take a long time I would imagine it is quicker with the hose but you would have to cover all electrical components etc (look at page 1 for help). I am going to try the meguiars engine cleaner and engine dressing soon, I'll post my findings including pics once I get round to doing it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers Shoonk. I think i will go down the damp rag road as i am very wary of getting any water in the alternator or any electrical components.

You engine bay looks fantastic as does the very first one.

Cheers yeah I was always worried about the hose but have always used the damp rag method and it's always worked for me although it can take a long time (I spend a few hours on it especially if it's a car I have only just bought). Time also depends on how fussy you are I'm a bit ott but once it's done it's easier then because your just maintaining it, check it when you clean your car and give it a quick going over when you think it needs doing. Good luck with it and post some pics once your done :)

Back