• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

my long ass cosmic ep3 build!finally lowered

been on here a while and only recently started trhowing some money at my car and decided it was about time i shared it with you all.

anyways as some of you may know i purchased my first type r last year in february but after only 4 months of ownership it came to an early death unfortunately.

ep3smashed.jpg

in some ways this was a blessing in disguise ( not where insurance is involved though) as since buying my first ctr i always regretted not buying a premier edition due to not knowing they even existed. so once the insurance money had arrived the search was on to find another car and after 2 months came across one for a decent price after many were up in the 9.5k mark for a decent one, seemed they had shot up in price since purchasing my first one lol, sods law. Then went for a 2 hour road trip to south wales with the missus and picked her up.

quick pic from the service station on the way home.
builduppictures059-1.jpg

she wasn't in, how would say 'mint condition' but i got her for a good price and don't mind getting my hands dirty. firstly the brakes needed a complete overhaul, fitted new front discs, ferrodo pads all round and painted the calipers.
P15-07-09_1338.jpg

ep3smashed125.jpg

builduppictures023.jpg

this set up is soon to be complete with some braided lines, new fluid and tegiwa brake stopper(fitted further on in the build up)

the it was time for some tlc with a good spring clean, complete detail and removed most of the interior to give it a good valet, im a fussy git and wanted things right before i put my jdm mats in.

ep3smashed015.jpg

pics after wash etc

ep3smashed116.jpg

ep3smashed138.jpg

ep3smashed136-1.jpg

ep3smashed009.jpg

fitted some parts that were left over from the old ep3, d2 rear lca's and my jdm rear arb, had some jdm wind deflectors but decided to seel them as when i put them on my previous ep3 the retaining clips scratched the black surround off around the frame which really ****ed me off.

builduppictures062.jpg

that was how she stayed for a few months whilst i payed for her and the insurance,other than a complete service at tgm inc new plugs, gearbox oil and tappets adjusted even though she's only on 40k wanted her running as sweet as a nut.( btw good chat line up for all you chaps there, approach a lady and say, if we were both squirrels i'd bust a nut in your hole lmao, sorry couldn't resist) oh yeh and you can't blame me if you get a slap! Plus i fitted 4 new goodyear eagle f1's(hmm now there horny tires!)

did a local drag day and menaged a 14.9 completely stock with rubbish tires which i was chuffed with as she was completely standard!

builduppictures064-1.jpg

builduppictures072.jpg

builduppictures074.jpg

builduppictures088-1.jpg

builduppictures078.jpg

builduppictures084.jpg

also decided to go for a helicopter ride which scared the hell out of me!excuse the pink t-shirt im just in touch with my feminine side lmao!

builduppictures093.jpg

Then just before chirstmas decided it was time to start spending some money! so purchased a gruppe m, omg this thing is awesome, the noise it kicks out is the nuts!

builduppictures010.jpg

builduppictures008.jpg

nest decided to have my oem gearnob refurbed as it was driving me nuts along with purchasing a piper manifold with race cat along with an n1(just waiting for a spoon b pip before fitting along with the header).

builduppictures002-2.jpg

builduppictures006.jpg

builduppictures019.jpg

builduppictures022.jpg

builduppictures021.jpg

next on the list was a tegiwa brake stopper, decided to give this ago as on the previous car i had braided lines, new fluid and new pads and still didn't get the solid feel i was after(even though i shall be doing the same to this opne). good thing was for about a third of the price this gave me a much better pedal feel, felt firmer and also gives you a bit more feedback through the brakes.

builduppictures005.jpg

oh yeh almost forgot, before all that i had my wheels refurbed as they were flaking and the colour never seemed to look quite right which bugged the hell out of me. had them done in oem colour as i want this project to appear standard but be a fun car to drive in the short time i menage to keep it before buying a house next year.

builduppictures044-1.jpg

soz for pic quality, only one iv got with it being clean after having them refurbed, wil get some better ones this w/e.

one last thing, couldnt forget the old socks!good for at least 50bhp of boost lmfao!
builduppictures012-1.jpg

things should progress really quicky with this thread as i want her finished before japfest as i want to go on track there and do as many track days as possible so between now and the 16th of may my list is as follows

1. pick up koni adjustable shocks with 35mm eibach lowering springs
2. get frsu done at tgm
3. source spoon b pipe and fit along with header
4. pick up quaffie lsd and kaiten lighten flywheel(in the process of being fitted in my garage)
5. ported and polished rbc inlet manifold. hopefully from laid back racing
6. ket k-100 fitted and mapped at tdi north!
7. look into either cams or jrsc depending on funds

some more recent pic including my lsd and flywheel, in the process of stripping my box out atm and hoping to have it out before saturday ready to take up to tgm to get the lsd fitted and then get the box back in saturday night, thinking about doing a 'how to guide' for removing the gearbox as iv been taking pictures and never tacklel anything this big before and am loving it even if it is tedious. get so much more satifaction doing a job yourself. a big thanks to lou at laid back racing though for his guidance otherwise i wouldn't have had the balls to tackle it.

builduppictures123-1.jpg

builduppictures117-1.jpg

builduppictures116-1.jpg

builduppictures110.jpg

builduppictures114-1.jpg

builduppictures103.jpg

builduppictures100-1-1.jpg

builduppictures126.jpg

builduppictures098.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx3.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx2.jpg

GetAttachmentaspx.jpg

flywheel.jpg

flywheel2.jpg

flywheel3.jpg

well finally finished fitting everything, would have been finished a day earlier but had an issue trying to fit the wishbones back in due to my mate over extending both my driveshafts when we took them out, so had to remove them again and pop them back together. been out in the rain for a blast and its unbelievable the gripp compared over standard, this thing literally pulls you around the corner now if that makes sense.cant wait to go out in the dry if its this good in the wet, went into corners faster than i would dare normally in the wet and had no issues whatsoever. cant really comment on the flywheel yet as it just spins up atm so can't really feel any difference. anyways heres a few pics of the whole back braking process, its one of those things that was a bit of a nightmare first time round and probably took my around 16 hours all together, spent alot of time double checking things and reading through instructions etc but could probably knock 6 hours off it second time round with a second pair of hands. not bad going i though as the book time is 10 hours with a ramp.

builduppictures146.jpg

firstly i had to remove the air intake and battery to get to all the gear linkage etc.
builduppictures147.jpg

this then enabled me to disconnect all the gearbox sensors etc, gear linkage and the clutch slave cylinder.
linkage removed and tied up
builduppictures148.jpg

builduppictures149.jpg

now it was time to go underneath the car, so jacked it up, removed the wheels and started to remopve everything needed to drop the subframe. this included the wishbones(couldn't get the ball joint apart so just took the whole wishbone out)the aircon mount,my front arb and both front and rear enigne mounts, at this point the engine is only hanging on by one engine mount and the gearbox mount.
builduppictures154.jpg

once the subframe was removed this gave me access to the driveshafts which just popped out after i had drained off the old gearbox oil.next i had to remove the gearbox mount before removing the bell housing through bolts to split the box, this meant i had to suport the enigne on a jack and block of wood, wasn't to sure about a single angine mount and a jack but it seemed to work ok. after removing aload of bolts i was ready to split the box from the engine.

builduppictures153.jpg

these boxes are a pain to get out and have to come out at an angle, more designed to be removed with the engine as a whole as the engine bay is so tight in these little cars.anyways come saturday morning finally menaged to get the box out with broken back and all.

builduppictures152.jpg

next thing was to remove the old clutch and flywheel combo and give the clutch a good clean up before re-installing

builduppictures155.jpg

old flywheel vs new 4.0kg one, needs to be bedded in for 400 miles which sucks a bit lol.

builduppictures157-1.jpg

new flywheel mated up to old clutch and installed. bought this alignment tool for a tenner and worked a treat.

builduppictures158-1.jpg

then it was off for a trip up to tgm to get the lsd installed, it was bad enough getitng the box out let alone stripping it down. as always tom did a great job and was as helpful as ever.

didn't manage to get and pics form when i was up there, on return i decided to fit my es energy moung insert, is supose to reduce wheel hop although it does increase cabin vibration, have read loads of people complaining about how hard it was but i can barely notice it, maybe its due to me covering the thing in vaseline to reduce vibration.

builduppictures159-1.jpg

after that it was time to put it all back together, could have taken hundreds more pics but didn't have the time and just wanted to get it finished, if your reading this and think from the pics it doesn't look too bad trust me its a massive job to take on as an amateur mechanic but if your confident enough i would definataly say give it ago, certainly not something you'd do in a weekend but was well worth the skined knuckles knowing iv acheived it myself and have saved myself £300 which is a barry bonus. i have never tackled anything like this before but if you do your homework correctly and go through everything before you do theres nothing stopping you. plus muggins here can give you a hand if needs be lol. next up is installing my header and new b pipe which arrived today plus my 6000k hids.

next came the time to instal the rest of my exhaust system

builduppictures165.jpg

builduppictures168.jpg

builduppictures167.jpg

finally got round to fitting my hid's and there amazing, didn't take any pictures yet of them on as we all know what a set of hid's look like lol.

ended up taking the whole bumper off as i got fecked off with fiddling around with the lampholders etc.

builduppictures176.jpg

builduppictures180.jpg

builduppictures178.jpg

wish i had mounted the right hand ballast inside the wing also but fitted that one first and couldn't be arsed to change it round. there a brilliant piece of kit for the money and the light output is great, would highly recommend this kit to anyone, only tiny fripe it the spade connectors which go into the oem plug aren't very secure, really feel these kits should come with some sort of plug type fitting.

these little goodies arrived ready for fitting this weekend. the rbc has already been sent for polishing and should have it back mid week.

builduppictures195.jpg

builduppictures197.jpg

builduppictures192.jpg

builduppictures191.jpg

then its off to tdi north for mapping on the 12th! cant wait for the results and the 4 hour drive home.

picked up the rbc from polishing and was really pleased with the results. heres a couple of pics, can't wait to get it fitted now!although im thinking about having it chrome dippes now as my mate was unable to get into every nook and cranny.
IMG_0260.jpg

IMG_0259.jpg

well most of theday was spent fitting my rbc and k-pro. was a fairly straight forward job in the end even if it did take me 5 hours, managed to shear off a bolt which connects the t/b to the karcepts adaptor :bad-words: , which caused me all sorts of ball ache but luckily mole grips resolved that problem. anyways heres some pics of it all fitted, also installed my k-pro with a map for another ep3 with almost the same mods and all i can say is its awesome, the car has transformed and now the n1 system is quieter which is a relief, seems the map has smoothed out the running of the engine resulting in this. took the car out for a short spin to do some datalogging and i can't wait to have it mapped properly on the 12th.

first job was to remove the intake cover, fuel rail, injectors and t/b
P1070064.jpg

this then allowed me access to the manifold bolts, if you fit the rbc yourself note that you need to remove the studs from the head using 2 nuts to allow you to remove/re install the manifold.
P1070066.jpg

P1070068.jpg

finally it was tiime to fit my hondata gasket and the nice shiney rbc.

P1070070.jpg

P1070071.jpg

that was the easy part out of the way, now it was time to secure the wiring neatly and re-install the slam panel. when fitting the rbc you need to re route the injector loom between the t/b and the head rather than over the top of the t/b. this is easier done before you reinstall the rbc as i had difficulty doing it once i had fitted it lol. i also cable tied the look to the fuel rail feeder pipe to make sure it wouldn't interfear with the throttle at all as it sits so close. decided to bend the slam panel using a rubber mallet as really don't like the look of the cut ones, no point in having a polished rbc just to spoil it with a shoddy slam panel, think it might just be touching so might have to take it off and give it another beating.

P1070073.jpg

P1070075.jpg

P1070077.jpg

only have a slight problem in that the bonnet doesn't seem to shut properly now, sits slightly proud on one side by about 1mm, have tried adjusting the bonnet catch but no luck. hope you enjoy the pics and the next update will be once its been mapped at tdi north!

finally it was time for mapping ,took a trip up to tdi north, crashed at lou's and went down this morning to get it mapped, im very happy with the results to say the least. i have an n1 back box but the mid pipe is one of rob's custom ones from the forum with a silencer. also the header is fitted with a race cat which is why paul thinks it made really good torque figures, heres some pics from today and the graph obviously. was deffinately worth the 8 hour journey up there and back.
builduppictures225.jpg

builduppictures223.jpg

builduppictures222.jpg

builduppictures219.jpg

IMG.jpg

thanks alot for looking any all comments welcome, sorry about the longevity also lol.

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good, the intake manifold looks awesome polished, although it does make me think what the cam cover would look like polished too.

I got one of robs b-pipes but I got the unsilenced version, can't wait to get it fitted

Looking awesome mate...

How much have you spent on mods so far?

pm sent mate

thanks alot for the replies, was thinking about having the cam cover done cosmic grey along with the intake scoop but thats the last thing on my to do list, chassis set up will be next with a set of meister r coilovers and a frsu from tgm along with uprated brake fluid and some braided lines. Then ** hopefully be joining hondas on track for some fun!

Last edited by a moderator:
also im on the hunt for a toda cat back atm, if anyone knows of one going can you please give me a pm, would post this in the wanted section but it won't allow me.

excellent write up and nice one to have a go yourself. im far too lazy and kack handed to have a go at anything other than fitting HID kits.

yeh it sucked being led under my car during the long dark winter nights freezing my ass off but at least i now have the summer to enjoy it.

decided to change out the spoon for a toda cat back in the end to save my ear druns lol. Also fitted my some minty fresh plates which has cleaned up the rear end. only thing is now i think the toda may be too quiet lmao, can't hear it over the gruppe but at least it will save my eardrums.

P11-05-10_172702.jpg

P10-05-10_203801.jpg

P11-05-10_1727.jpg

well things have been quiet as of late due to being made redundant so put my spending spree on hold for a little while, but then this little lot of goodies turned up the other day.

builduppictures251.jpg

so today i set about fitting the rear camber arms and the braided lines along with new fluid.

builduppictures245-1.jpg

little tip if you decide to change your lines yourself, place some clean film over the brake reservoir, this supposidly creates a vacum and stops the fluid leaking out so quickly when you disconnect the old lines. oh yeh and obviously make sure its tort before placing the lid back on.

builduppictures243.jpg

finally got everything fitted and got the system bled, not fun whe youv got to do it on your own and don't have a system which draws the fluid out lol.

builduppictures249.jpg

just awaiting for my suspension to hopefully turn up tomorrow and she'll be sat 35mm lower on some bilstein b12's.

Nice man, as said good write up.

What other forums are you on?? CTRO??

Love Cosmics, only thinkg im not keen on is the droop TODA.

Good work there mate. Amazing how you're fitted all that yourself. Are you a mechanic or do you just like messing with cars? Sorry if its been asked.

tbh i wasn't too keen on the toda at first, it needs a slight adjustment as isn't sitting quite straight, needs rotating clockwise slightly.thanks alot for the comments, im alson on hampshire jap cars and ctro, but only go on there for second hand bits to be honest, much prefer it on this side of the water but dont tell anyone lol.

im guessing your also on hjc the marshall?were you at japfest by any chance?

no im not a mechanic, im an electrician by trade.im fortunate having a large garage to work in and it's not my daily driver so i can take my time with things. i hate giving other people money for work i know i can do myself, although once iv started a job i always think the opposite when lol. the biggest job was taking the box out but i just did alot of research and picked lou from tdi norths brain alot and saved myself £300 lol. if i had a work bench etc then i would have stripped the box and fitted the diff myself.if anyone is thinking of doing this then im more than happy to help or spend an hour on the phone etc to help, after all its what these forums are suppose to be about, rather than trying to brag about who knows the most and trying to make others feel small.

Back