• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Mugen Parts

Mugen is always mega pricey and more often than not, not the best.

Does it have to be mugen???

Not necessarily mugen, but I would like to stick to one brand name really, either mugen or a brand such as spoon sports, im a brand pot head! lol!

checkout Touge, James@Touge is the rep we have on here, they have a sub forum in the traders section

Mugen's trump card: JASMA approved

This means, not TOP performance, but JAPAN road leagal at high cost.

And in noob terms: there are better performing parts, at half the cost...

Not necessarily mugen, but I would like to stick to one brand name really, either mugen or a brand such as spoon sports, im a brand pot head! lol!

Spoon parts are just improved OEM parts too, so these dont tend to offer the best performance gains either.

But if you're doing jsut for the name then thats fine.

Barring a few parts, the EP3 Airbox springs to mind; Mugen are amongst the best manufacturerers of aftermarket parts for Hondas. FEEL's, Spoon, Toda, and J's Racing are other brands worth looking at. Generally, what these companies don't make, ain't worth making IMO.

Manufacturing JASMA rated exhausts isn't Mugen's trump card, nor is retaining CAT's in their headers - it's their experience in racing Honda's, involvement in top level Motorsports, engine building, tuning, the whole shabang etc. etc. not to mention MF10's. LOL.

My tuppence.

Last edited by a moderator:
Spoon isn't about all power power power. It's about drivability, balance and reliability.

They do more than just improve OEM parts :)

They do more than just improve OEM parts :)

A sweeping statement made by me I suppose.

The exhaust system for the EP3 though is pretty much the same design as OEM though, just wider. When I had my Spoon system 2-1 and B pipe I was hunting down a 4-2 to replace my DC5 4-2, but I was told to perhaps look else where for a header as the Spoon one wasn't really as good as I thought.

Compare the Spoon system to all the other headers and there appears to be a big difference in design.

Maybe I'm wrong, but I was once told that some Spoon bits are just over engineered OEM pieces :) .

:)

Don't believe everything you are told.

There's only a handful of Spoon parts that I can think of, which are OEM parts but improved.

Throttle body, yes, bored out OEM. But it's the same as what J's Racing/Tracy Sports do.
N1/Street exhausts are nothing like OEM, apart from fitment obviously :)
Headers are close to JDM headers but have more flow. Yes not quite as good power as the Toda's make, no reason to dismiss though.
Spoon calipers/Strut Braces/LSDs/Pads/Rotors/Carbon bits/Aero bits/Springs/Shocks etc not "improved" OEM. :)
Final drives, are however 'sometimes' mixtures of Honda OEM parts.

Spoon only work on things they think need improving. Not releasing a part just for the sake of it.

Ever seen a Spoon intake? No, because Spoon realise the OEM intake systems are pretty good already. So don't waste their time on it.

They were developing a suspension upgrade for the EP3/DC5 (springs and dampers), but felt they couldn't make a substancial improvement over the Honda OEM setup. So dropped it!

As I said, Spoon aren't interested in power power power. They want real balance, control/feel, and reliability.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are we getting our wires crossed here? :)

The header system is made by Spoon, it's not an OEM one modded/smoothed or bored.

Are we getting our wires crossed here? :)

The header system is made by Spoon, it's not an OEM one modded/smoothed or bored.

Yeah, maybe.

Example.

Spoon header, is made by Spoon, but they start with the OEM design and improve that.

Toda, R&D from the ground up.

Agreed there, on some of their parts.

I thought you meant they take the Oem part and actually modify that :)

Back