• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

A new car to chez Hatton!

Apparently they actually appreciated in value for some time :lol: due to the fact that the Fox, their replacement, is so awful!

Massive fan of these, I half considered one a few years back. But they were mega bucks back then.

I think it's how close the rear wheels are to the rear bumper that annoys me about their visuals. And the tiny-ness of the lights... For me it shares the ugliest feature of the bug-eye model Impreza... Disproportionately small, and worse, perfectly round lights.
subaru_impreza_bug_eye.jpg

VW_Lupo_front_20080524.jpg

None the less mate, the most important thing is the drivability of the car... Which I'm sure is top notch considering it's a VW!

Car went through a good clay clean on Sunday and is looking brilliant. I need to get some pictures of it now as it looks so much better. The wheels had never been cleaned inside by the state of my drive after cleaning them. Amazing.

It's booked in for a cambelt change and a general inspection as there is a slight knocking coming from the engine...great. Hopefully nothing though. May even be the characterisitics of the car as I have never owned a VW before.

Knocking was diagnosed as 'Piston Slap'. VW mechanic said he has heard far worse in his time and that at present it's fine and nothing needs doing as of yet. However, in the long run it's an engine rebuild. To say we are cheesed off would be an understatement but things like this happen. Anyone know a good place for a rebuild at a decent cost?

Unlucky Ben. :( Hope it lasts for a while yet and isn't too costly when it needs a rebuild...

If this slap is something like a knock, (incorrect AFR) I would have thought Ben this will be a probelm when working the engine hard, at high RPM's.

Not knowing what sort of driver Emma is, she may just pootle along without giving the engine too much strain.

If you're conserned try not giving it the beans when its super hot either as the air is les combustable than when its cold and the slap may turn into a serious knock.

This is all worst case senario though mate.

could probably sell for more than you bought as you have nice drive/garage pics and will have no doubt done super valet.

Not good Ben :(
VAG parts are bumrape expensive as well.
Might be worth nosing on the owners/any VAG forum as someone is bound to able to help mate.

Out of interest, wtf causes piston slap in the first place?

Out of interest, wtf causes piston slap in the first place?

This being a modern VW i doubt its down to manufacturing tolerances. Maybe its had a bit of oil starvation at some point and has caused the ring to pick up on the bore.

Back