• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

EP3 steering rack slider

ty

does anyone no were i can get a guide to fit the replacement slider part in the steering rack in middle cheers its what causes the steering to not self centre???

Voila. Thought you had this sorted mate?

Newannaive said:
The steering rack has had to come off tonight, got a split in the boot and it's due for an mot next week so decided to take the rack out and do a good service on it with new slider, grease and boot. Thought I'd make a note of it on here as we have so many steering rack problems it may come in handy for someone.
Many thanks to jreedy, cressie, woox and a few others who have all supplied lots of helpful info and pics here on the forum after doing the same job.
Major thanks to andym for coming over and helping get the rack out, was alot easier with an extra pair of hands, who knows what they are doing.. :wink:

Rack was easy to get out really -

remove the lower strut brace, 3 bolts in the engine bay, pinch bolt under the dash, remove the eps motor and wiring bracket, disconnect the tie rods from the rack bracket only, remove n/s wheel and slide the rack out through the wheel arch.

116k mile old steering rack in bits in the workshop...

rack1.jpg

slider - 16quid from honda

rack2.jpg

eps motor and worm drive in the rack

rack3.jpg

steering shaft that slides into the cabin

rack4.jpg

The new boot kit is 26quid from honda, looks like it will be a pain in the arse to refit as we ended up cutting the old one off, might have to submerse it in hot water to soften it up a bit......unless any of you have some handy tips.. :smile:

Think thats it, just waiting on delivery of new parts, roll on friday night for the refit...fingers crossed.

edit: rack back in place

DSC00692.jpg

dont want to highjack your thread but im going to be doing this next week aswell....few q's dotty

How come you removed the eps motor?

Did you leave the track rods connected to the wheel and just unscrew at the rack end?

any other helpfull tips are welcome:lol:

hey rigsby i am doin this at the weekend to. had the rack off once already last weekend and fitted a second hand one but was the same problem steering would not centre and was stiff so repairing it now as well what do you want to know?? were in cornwall are you???

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi ty, im near fraddon, ive got a knocking noise coming from the rack, checked it out and i have play in the middle where the slider is, so i think the slider has worn down resulting in play....hope this fixes it.
Ive got a few days off work next week to tackle the job.

Did you leave the track rods(steering arms) on the rack, then remove them after? or disconnect them from the centre of the rack(leaving the other end still attached to the strut) before removing the rack

EDIT: Just read through dottys post and he said to remove steering arms from rack before removing

is it an easy job? any tips throw them my way

did it cure your problem?

just read your profile, think i have seen a black 30th anniversary in st austell abit back.......52 plate, you?

Andy

Last edited by a moderator:
yeah thats me 52 plate in st austell it was dottys old ctr before i bought it of him, i removed the rack and just swaped it over for a second hand one but that was broke as well im not getting a knocking noise it just wont self center and the rack is stiff i have read that this is because the slider wears and then does not run smoothly. yeah left them.

1. jack up car take off wheels on front
2. disconnect track rod ends from wheel remove the split pins
3. undo bolt inside car under steering wheel in foot well which holds on spline
4. lossen off bracket wire under rack
5. take off motor
6. undo 3 bolts that hold rack in place then it shold drop off column
7. take off driver side suspension strut to give your self more room
8. slide out rack 2 hands better than one here.
9. make sure your steering wheel is in center and hubs are straight when reconnecting rack.

hope this helps there maybe an easier way but that how i did it

cheers mate........ill keep an eye out for ya, as i work in st austell.
Me: 51 plate milano:)

The pictures are not mine, they are off newannaive, he is on here though so drop him a pm :D

You don't have to remove the strut or the tie rods from the steering arms on the struts, only from the rack...Leave everything else attached and chances are your geo will remain almost the same as before. Remove them and it will change. I removed the eps motor in situ as it will then slide out of the n/s wheel arch with the strut still in place.
I split my rack as well to grease up everything inside, the shaft slides out of the housing completely and you can clean it out and re-grease. After 116k miles mine was pretty dry tbh...it's lovely and smooth now though.

wadebridge mate but live in st blazey

Ah right, saw a black anniversary in fraddon sat morn , appreciative waves were exchanged:lol:

You don't have to remove the strut or the tie rods from the steering arms on the struts, only from the rack...Leave everything else attached and chances are your geo will remain almost the same as before. Remove them and it will change. I removed the eps motor in situ as it will then slide out of the n/s wheel arch with the strut still in place.
I split my rack as well to grease up everything inside, the shaft slides out of the housing completely and you can clean it out and re-grease. After 116k miles mine was pretty dry tbh...it's lovely and smooth now though.

Cheers newannaive, ill be doing this on thursday............thanks to everyones input:cool:

Well all done and now no more knocking, the metal part of the slider had come apart from the plastic which resulted in major play. I also replaced 2 track rod ends aswell as one split on removal, so replaced them both.
Ive been trying to find the cause of this for ages which included a full diag by honda which cost me £100, and wrongly diagnosed gearbox mount:evil:
To say im pleased in understatement thanks everyone, Jreedy of ctro aswell:lol:

How hard a job is this to take out and then fit another? mine just failed M.O.T for play in the rack! They can fit another second hand one for £220! Is that a good price?
Im good with a spanner so would do it myself but don't get too much time so how long would it take?

Think my rack needs some TLC. Is it possible to remove without jacking the car up? As newandnaive said "You don't have to remove the strut or the tie rods from the steering arms on the struts, only from the rack...Leave everything else attached and chances are your geo will remain almost the same as before"

I'm guessing it can be done simply 'under the bonnet'???

Well all done and now no more knocking, the metal part of the slider had come apart from the plastic which resulted in major play. I also replaced 2 track rod ends aswell as one split on removal, so replaced them both.
Ive been trying to find the cause of this for ages which included a full diag by honda which cost me £100, and wrongly diagnosed gearbox mount:evil:
To say im pleased in understatement thanks everyone, Jreedy of ctro aswell:lol:

Hi mate just a few questions about your knocking sound. Did you mainly get it over rough ground? ive fitted brand new HSD coilovers with adjustable top mounts, new track rod ends, bottom ball joints, drop links and fully polybushed the car ans still have this annoying knocking. Ive just bought the rack slider in hope that this cures it. Was it a fairly straight forward job to change it? Also what kind of grease did you use to regrease it all when you put it back together.
Cheers rob

Hi. I fitted this slider to my rack as it's stiff and doesn't return to centre.
It hasn't made a blind bit if difference.

Hi mate just a few questions about your knocking sound. Did you mainly get it over rough ground? ive fitted brand new HSD coilovers with adjustable top mounts, new track rod ends, bottom ball joints, drop links and fully polybushed the car ans still have this annoying knocking. Ive just bought the rack slider in hope that this cures it. Was it a fairly straight forward job to change it? Also what kind of grease did you use to regrease it all when you put it back together.
Cheers rob

Hello friend,

Have you solved your knocking noise?

I have also this knocking noise and also have a dificult to center the wheel...

This slider has solved anyone who was having knocking noise?

Thanks ;)

Hey guys...Is it possible to fit a new slider without taking the whole rack out?....What is the part number for the oem Slider?....Is it worth all the extra money to get the Tegiwa billet slider?...TIA

Back