• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fuel economy/miles to a tank...?

Afternoon,

Im considering getting an EP3 Type R at the moment. One thing is, I do quite a lot of commuting. At the moment I just drive a 70 miles trip once a week (monday and friday) with occassional trips back home mid-week; but I have just applied for a job where I will be able to travel every day. It is approx 35-40 miles commute, and through some twisty A/B roads, is going to take approximately 45-50 mins one way.

So, doing this every day what sort of fuel economy should I expect from a Type R? I wouldn't be hanging around, although wont be sat in the V-Tec continously, so a mixture of driving really, with some of it sat in 6th on the long straights, etc. What sort of mileage to a tank are people generally getting, and how much does it cost to fill a tank up on one of these?

Thanks in advance :)

Don't know, I normally just bang in £40 of super or v power.

So if the tank can take 56litres, that would get me minimum 400 miles.

Don't know, I normally just bang in £40 of super or v power.

So if the tank can take 56litres, that would get me minimum 400 miles.

:lol:

400miles from a tank in a EP3..

Driving like a granny, kpro'd, motorway miles I would be exceedingly pleased with myself if I broke the 350miles a tank

I average around 260 from a completely full tank to say 10miles into the red fuel warning light with a mixture of driving

The EP3 is surprisingly economical when driven carefully compared to other cars of a similar breed. It is not however an ideal commuter car if you're really concerned about fuel costs.
300-350 to a tank is not an unreasonable expectation but you night find you get sub 300. It depends greatly on your driving style!

260 to A tank! Bloody hell

I'm On 280 miles so far this tank without the light coming on and I'm jrsc'd!! Haven't really been hanging about either.

Last edited by a moderator:
260 ish per tank sounds about right if you're commutes are mainly in and around town and 30mph main roads. Add some dual carriageways and motorways and you'll probably see about 300. On an all motorway journey with a full tank at about 70-75mph and the occasional burst I got just under 350 and I was well chuffed.

i get 260 miles to a tank plodding around town, when i go on a trip i get 360 miles to a tank.

Those miles are forcasted based on the mpg for that trip with a 50 litre tank

LOL I Have failed in this thread.

But I get 200 miles minimum from £40

So full tank 50 @ 1.34 £67 = 330-380 miles

Thanks for the replies so far lads :)

It has given me a good insight as to what to expect, and it seems they're pretty good! I know a performance car isnt ideal; but I cant bring myself to have something crappy and diesel ha!

So the general consensus is, for £40 I 'should' be seeing around 200 miles'ish with fairly conservative driving. And for a full tank; around £65 I 'should' see around 280-360 dependant on driving style, etc.

That seems to be pretty good to me.

Also I was considering an Audi S3 as an alternative; anyone had one of these and can compare the fuel economy of the 2..? :)

I get varied results, dependant on 99RON or 95RON fuel!
From standard run of the mill petrol, 95 RON, I get 270-280 per tank
From Higher Octane 99 RON fuel, I get 310-320! (331 is my highest!)

Same driving style, many rants into VTEC, but I commute 90 miles or so a day on M4 at 80-90mph.
I reckon, on 99ROn, if I were to stay at the limits and hold back on VTEC, I'd easily get 380!
But, TBH, i'd rather spend the extra £8 on fuel and have some fun :D

Sweet, cheers :)

It appears it is actually cost effective then to use 99ron rather than 95ron, is this the general consensus by everyone?

Back