• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fuel economy/miles to a tank...?

Right now I have a third ep3 mapped on v-power, I thought I would add what I got from my first tank.

220 miles until I refueled, had been on petrol light for a bit.

worked out as 22.7 mpg

Which was a mix of commute and hammering the back roads / slip roads

Lol Hey Jim didn't realise you had another EP3. Hope all is well with you. :)

Been so busy recently just catching up on forum time.

I get 32mpg fairly consistently. Goes up to 35mpg on motorway at max 70mph. Goes down to about 27mpg when it gets really cold outside, doing town driving only.

I always fill up at roughly 300 miles and the red light never comes on so I would assume I could do another 50 miles at least before it splutters.

15mpg on a wet track day at Brands Hatch.

I get 32mpg fairly consistently. Goes up to 35mpg on motorway at max 70mph. Goes down to about 27mpg when it gets really cold outside, doing town driving only.

I always fill up at roughly 300 miles and the red light never comes on so I would assume I could do another 50 miles at least before it splutters.

15mpg on a wet track day at Brands Hatch.
Yeah my last tank of fuel was about 320 miles, 32mpg.

In all fairness that's because if you fill it to the top you're banging a lot of extra fuel in the filler neck. :lol: The gauge only sees what's in the tank..!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I know what you mean but I don't think the bit in the filler neck quite equates to 100 miles difference haha!

EP3 Fuel economy/miles to a tank...?

Haha yeah you are right, mine does it too, lasts ~200 miles from topped-off to half way then seems to disappear the rest of the way rapid fire.

I don't monitor my mpg because I think I'd give myself a stroke with more than 50% city driving.

Last edited by a moderator:
A tank of urban driving will see me vary wildly between 180-250ish miles. On a run looking ~350miles.

I don't always check my MPG's, just occasionally. Light comes on and I put fuel in generally.

What MPG in your Type R

What MPG are you getting in your Type R?

I know there have been plenty of these threads in the past, but I'm pleased with the economy I managed to achieve recently in my EP3.

I dared to squeeze 307 miles out of a full tank(50ltr). This works out nearly 28 mpg. Considering the cars age, & all the go-faster bits I have, I was quite surprised. Interested to see what the FK2 guys are getting.

I have worked out that I can get 36mpg from my road EP3, worst being 8mpg with the track EP3.

Dear god how? Most often I get somewhere around ~250Mi out of 40L (8.8gallon)

Haha I only ever got that once. This was cross country, from London to Belgium - all highway - no city
Only way to achieve it is to not brake, do not accelerate. Once you get to 70, jus sit still for a few hours, as long as you don’t brake or you don’t chase that dc5 or s2000 that went past.

In the uk short distance - high mpg is impossible. Just enjoy it. If you want to chase mpg get a diesel.

Ep3 are not bad at all for fuel even if you drive it like it’s stolen. If I did the same to the 335i or m6 you looking at 15mpg and 5mpg for the v8. Doesn’t make the ep3 bad after all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I’ve had 350 miles on one tank driving to Germany. That was cruising around 70-80mph with track tyres. So yea 400 miles on decent road tyres driving more carefully should be achievable.

Due to the cold weather mine is down to 230-250 miles per tank (25mpg). Normally it would be at 300 miles per tank (30mpg).

i got turbo'd EP3 with 1000cc injectors, no matter how easy i drive i dont get more than 240 to a tank
on last motorway trip of 65miles it cost me 11litres of fuel =( not sure why its so thirsty even when driving it like a granny
any ideas how to improve my mpg lol

i got turbo'd EP3 with 1000cc injectors, no matter how easy i drive i dont get more than 240 to a tank
on last motorway trip of 65miles it cost me 11litres of fuel =( not sure why its so thirsty even when driving it like a granny

At a guess, get your gearing changed. The turbo should be giving you more torque at lower revs, so it would be useful to be able to cruise in those revs. Unfortunately for you the EP3 gearbox is configured to run at motorway speeds at higher revs than are supportive of any kind of economy for you. Your only sane option (imho) is getting a taller 6th gear so you're not running at much higher revs than you need.

I think the 1000cc injectors and the turbo is your problem.....

Back