• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Fuel economy/miles to a tank...?

Had nothing better to do on my lunch break so thought I'd give this a go. Ever since I bought my V50 I've kept note of how many miles per tank I've managed. Not sure why as until today I've never actually done anything with the information gathered, must have a curiosity notched in my brain somewhere!

Since purchase I have filled up 57 times, with virtually every tank being depleted before refuelling to give a more accurate comparison between tanks. An average tank costs £80 as I buy V-Power diesel; so in almost four years that's £4,560 on fuel! Stuff like this always hurts when you sit down and work it out...

Anyway, in terms of frugality, that money has propelled me along 29,261.4 miles, equating to an average of 513.4 miles per tank; resulting in an average 47mpg.

Best I've achieved is 601.2 miles per tank (even though the car is meant to be able to hit 780 miles), so highest is 55.2mpg. I seem to recall this was done on a drive to Wales so steady motorway, standard.

Worst (or best) was the day I took it around Spa for the day in October last year (which also resulted in buggering my car royally!). That tank lasted a mere 211.1 miles; 19.4mpg! Granted that isn't anything compared to my old EP3 which could chew through a tank in 75 miles!! But a far cry from a car that supposedly can hit 74mpg...

Last edited by a moderator:
Worst (or best) was the day I took it around Spa for the day in October last year (which also resulted in buggering my car royally!). That tank lasted a mere 211.1 miles; 19.4mpg! Granted that isn't anything compared to my old EP3 which could chew through a tank in 75 miles!! But a far cry from a car that supposedly can hit 74mpg...

I've managed similar on a track day too :lol:

That's a fair way off what Lolvo have said it should be able to do though...

Amazing this thread is still going.
I commute just over 100 miles per day on generally pretty free flowing motorways I've been able to do over 400 miles to a tank in my dc5. I've managed to get 39.8 mpg on a run too.

Driven around town though I get more lime 27mpg or just shy of 300 miles per tank.

Sent from my MAR-LX1A using Tapatalk

Since returning to work after being furloughed and not being able to car share i have had to take my EP3.

For the first month i thought i would try and see what sort of MPG i could achieve by driving at around 60mph for the 38 mile trip both ways which was around 80% on dual carriageways. I did let the car stretch it's legs on a few of the trips but the majority is around the 60mph mark.

As the EP3 doesn't have an MPG trip computer i tried to calculate my MPG from filling the tank every time until i got the click at the pump when full.
These are the tank fills by driving like an old fart.
3xdzUCq.jpg
0SSSHL2.jpg
usazUMq.jpg
tHQbUQP.jpg
uEvuJXV.jpg
ERJ3TNd.jpg
DQnOSzZ.jpg

I also done a trip one day at 50/55mph after filling at the pump once the car had warmed up and got this
QrlSxL9.jpg

Not bad for an old 2l i thought.

I am sure years ago i managed to get around 400 miles out a tank on a longish journey at the speeds i have been currently adhering to and it was just as boring doing it now as it was back then!

Back