• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How to clean windscreen (well)

I'm struggling to see out of my windscreen on these bright mornings. I have like a haze and lots of dots which I can only assume are small stone chips. I've tried cleaning with glass cleaner and methylated spirits but it's not much better.

Also my windscreen wipers smear quite badly and they are only a few months old.

So I need something to really clean my windscreen inside and out. What would you guys recommend?

I clean it as I clean the car and then put some Autoglym Glass Polish on it.

Not sure what you can use for getting the stone chips out though

I use PIAA Silicon Windscreen Wipers which are fantastic at removing the water

For the inside the only way is to just buff it with a dry micro fibre cloth imo.

I just do the inside as per the rest of the car. Inside is similar to Neily's, but I use a spray of Quick Detailer on the MF.
Seems to work well for me.

Pour some vinegar onto a rag and rub up and down the wiper blades. Loads of black tarnish will be removed that will stop squeaking and juddering when using them. Get a bucket and fill it 1/4 way up with steamy hot water, add a good glug of vinegar and wash the windows with this. Better than window lean. Do you smoke in your car? If so a layer of tar builds up on the inside making it very hazy in sunshine. Us the vinegar method but not so saturated.

Dry with kitchen towel. :)

I bought some RainX from halfrauds, which basically means you don't have to use your wipers very often - rain just flies off once you're going 30mph+. When I bought this I got some RainX Foam Glass cleaner free with it (or cheap - I can't remember) and this stuff does the business for me when cleaning the inside - no streaks and no hazyness. The only RainX product I can advise against is the anti-fog/misting one... which doesn't seem to help with that at all. A/C FTW.

I bought some RainX from halfrauds, which basically means you don't have to use your wipers very often - rain just flies off once you're going 30mph+

I use this all the window except the windscreen, works very well. :)

You don't use it on the windscreen?! I thought that was the main purpose of buying it

I apply 4 or 5 coats once a month to the windscreen (outside only), works a treat for me.

applying it to the windscreen is like hitting it with a hammer. a ham fisted non manual reading hammer.

Well I've been doing it for several years to all of my cars and I'm pretty sure that's what it is intended to be used for.

I tried the rain-x stuff, yes it sheds water better but you still can't see as well as could with wipers on imo.

For fine shallow scratches on the glass you can use glass polish such as jeweller's rouge. I tried it before with a crappy hand polisher, didn't work but I read that this is the stuff that people in the glass trade use to polish glass.

I've got rain-sensing wipers.

Works great on keeping all the other windows clear and clean. :)

Ah well, Furry Muff then, I don't know what rossy was on about... I've just done a search and it is called RainX Rain Repellent Windscreen Wash.

:lol: gobsh1te

R201... yea I don't use it as a cleaner as such, I use the RainX Foaming glass cleaner (no rain repellent properties) and I find that works really well with a polishing cloth/Mircofibre - picks up plenty of grime and gets rid of that haziness you're getting - at least it does for me anyway.

Thanks for all the suggestions!

I went with the cheapest/easiest option first the vinegar and newspaper.

So armed with my copy of the Metro and a bottle of Sarsons finest I set to work ;)

It's sorted the windscreen wipers but I'll have to wait until the next sunny morning to see if it's fixed the haze.

Do you think the build up could be caused by my cleaning methods? I use Autoglym car shampoo to clean and microfibre to dry. Could this of left a build up as it didn't happen when I used to use chamois to dry? I also use microfibre to clean the inside of the screen.

For fine shallow scratches on the glass you can use glass polish such as jeweller's rouge. I tried it before with a crappy hand polisher, didn't work but I read that this is the stuff that people in the glass trade use to polish glass.

I polish glass for a living, if you use jewellers rouge you'll be there for about a month. It's for the tiniest of imperfections on watch faces etc.

There's not really a great deal commercially available, if it's that bad whack it with a hammer and get a new one on your insurance. Assuming you've got windscreen cover that is.

I know!

I don't think I'll use the vinegar option inside though as I don't want my car to smell like a chippy ;)

normally i use window lean / glass cleaner and go over it 3 - 4 times until the cloth is no longer showing dirt. vinegar is a good trick for the wiper blades to remove the tarnish. Also to stop juddering, squeaks and smears cut a v in a potato and rub the juices up the wiper blades, the starch helps it glide over the glass better.

I just do the inside as per the rest of the car. Inside is similar to Neily's, but I use a spray of Quick Detailer on the MF.
Seems to work well for me.

This. I also use QD on the outside, although I dry the whole car with a microfibre towel and QD.

I also use QD to clean the cabin too. You can pretty much use it on anything and it comes up a treat.

Back