• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vibration/rattling noise at 3-4k? Drive shaft heat shield

Griffin

Banned for being a tit
A loose or decaying drive shaft heat shield will cause a rattly vibration noise from within the engine bay and from beneath the vehicle at a specific rev range, usually between 3000-4000rpm.

To remove the heat shield which is perfectly okay jack the car onto wheel ramps ensuring the car is secure.

Follow the drivers side drive shaft to the gearbox, attached at the gearbox end around the shaft is the heat shield. Passenger side doesn't have one.

Remove 3x bolts retaining the heat shield with a 13mm socket.

Throw heat shield in the bin.

1618b38.gif

Here is the shield pictured from below the vehicle...

00466f7b.jpg

0a277552.jpg

And removed...

8bbbb500.jpg

To add to this thread, many owners are still hearing a buzzing/rattling noise after removing the heat shield.

First to inspect would be the I-vtec cover on the front of the engine, especially if you have a aftermarket intake system fitted as one of the mounting points for the I-vtec cover is located on the oem airbox. Just 2x bolts hold this in place which are located directly on top.

f8e07ad0.jpg

Next would be the exhaust manifold cover as it is the easiest to get to...

2031f703.jpg

1423b94f.jpg

The manifold cover is usually good as it is high up and less prone to water saturation which causes the corrosion.

The catalytic converter heat shield does corrode and can come loose from its fixing causing it to vibrate. The cat heat shield can also be removed to rectify the sound, which i believe is held around the catalytic converter with 4x screws.

P2140607.jpg

Mine is buzzing and after trying to get a photo for forum reasons i noticed a complete corner is missing from the catalytic converter heat shield due to corrosion...

[video=youtube;DebOzKuxEOs]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=DebOzKuxEOs[/video]

Last edited by a moderator:
even though it is a 'how to' it will get mostly searched in the faults section as people are searching for a reason for the rattle and have yet not discovered it is a heat shield problem :).

I have removed my heatshield and the noise is has all but disappeared, however I am stil getting a vibrating sound in the early rev range. Think it could be the cat/manifold.

Is anyone able to offer some advice?

Thanks

I have removed my heatshield and the noise is has all but disappeared, however I am stil getting a vibrating sound in the early rev range. Think it could be the cat/manifold.

Is anyone able to offer some advice?

Thanks

Inlet manifold cover ?

Inlet manifold cover ?

Nope that came off along time ago when the cam cover was painted. Sounds like its coming from the same area as the heatshield which is why I suspect it could be the cat/cat cage or manifold. :confused:

Nope that came off along time ago when the cam cover was painted. Sounds like its coming from the same area as the heatshield which is why I suspect it could be the cat/cat cage or manifold. :confused:

yes cat heatshield

hard to say really mate as you have already covered the common rattles, best thing to do is have a friend lift the revs until the rattle can be heard and poke, feel, investigate where the noise is coming from :).

Back