• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Vibration/rattling noise at 3-4k? Drive shaft heat shield

Just out of curiosity, what is the heatshield for? I mean if you can remove it without any reprecussions, it seems redundant, like a human apendix.

luke said:
Just out of curiosity, what is the heatshield for? I mean if you can remove it without any reprecussions, it seems redundant, like a human apendix

the heat shield is there to block the heat from the exhaust manifold from the drive shaft, excessive heat can travel down the drive shaft and in turn knacker the drive shaft rubber seal.

the heat shield removal method has been used for many years with no repercussions or premature failure's so can be deemed an 'ok' thing to do on a car with air flow around the engine compartment, the air flow from beneath the engine, through the grill and up through the wheel openings is enough to disperse radiant exhaust heat from the shaft area.

the shield was probably introduced from when the engine was being prototyped on a dyno when stationary and being run at 8k rpm for a long period, giving the heat a good chance of knackering the seal.

my first sticky :D

Mines started doing this and if any conselation...i found this thread straight away! i also have an oil leak too :(

Just to add,just been under mine,found it easily with the diagram,tightened it up like he-man,now shes as quiet as before

Couple of questions;

1) When you jack the EP3 up is it usual for the tyre to take a while before it actually lifts off the ground?

2) Is there a better description or could someone possibly take a photo of the heatshield? My eyes are poor.

Thanks

Yes the body raises quite high when jacking it up.

This is what the shield looks like removed

8bbbb500.jpg

Thanks. I was worried about raising it too high, as in most cars the wheels tends to lift but mine wasn't budging so I didn't want to do any damage.

Where abouts is the Heatshield? I was looking around the front drivers side tyre. But everything under the car is just... black.

OP said:
Follow the drivers side drive shaft to the gearbox, attached at the gearbox end around the shaft is the heat shield. Passenger side doesn't have one.

:)

you wont see it until you're under the vehicle, get a torch.

Ok buddy. Well at least I know now I shouldn't be worried about jacking it up higher.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
nah... it looks as if you're going to tip it over but its normal, the rear wheel also lifts at the same time as the front.

just be bloody careful mate, chock the wheels on the opposite side, put it in gear and apply the handbrake firmly. you don't want a car falling on your head :)

Car is jacked up.

Is it the piece, near the centre of the car, about 6 inches behind the front tyres?

Nevermind, the bolts are too old to take off manually like that. I'll just drop it into my local garage and ask them to do it.

The bolts are in a terrible state.

Last edited by a moderator:
Should be nearly inline with the centre of the tyres, around the drive shaft.

I don't know where the drive shaft is haha.

Is it the fat piece near the bottom of the exhaust. I found something thats similar with 3 bolts.

Bear in mind the only thing I know how to change on a car (mechanically) is the Air Filter (I had a K&N on my 206 before)

:lol:

The drive shaft runs parallel from the centre of the wheel to the gearbox, it's what wakes the wheel go round.

Follow the centre line between the wheels and look up.

Back