• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

My EP3, TDi Turbo Kit. 420bhp + 300ftlb @ 12Psi. 12.6s @119mph, Street Tyres

Noticed I had a Headlight out, trip to Halfords, Bulb replaced, then I got a bit carried away.....

20112011008.jpg

My new Oil Pressure Gauge, the sender unit is attached to a T connection straight into the engine. This T connector failed and snapped leaving the thread stuck in the Engine. Its completely emptied the engine of Oil, and deposited it all over the floor and underside of the car, seriously its everywhere.

Managed to get it recovered to TDi where it is now. Luckily I was booked in tomorrow to have some seats installed.

Lou had some good suggestions how to get the threaded head out of the engine, so I will leave it in their hands, and hope that I haven't damaged the Block by starving it of Oil.

Nightmare.

I'm guessing you stopped when the pressure dropped off?

Nightmare.

I'm guessing you stopped when the pressure dropped off?

Yeah I literally creeped to my mates garage and pushed it from then on. The Oil light didnt come on, so Im hoping that there was enough Oil in to get me 500 yards to there.

I was really lucky that it happened in traffic, wouldn't like to think what would have happened if I was gunning it.

Up on the ramp it was sickening, Oil dripping from everywhere, but my mate didnt have to tools to get what was left of the thread out, so it was pushed back on to the road and I called recovery.

It will teach me in future. buy the expensive sandwich plate, not the cheaper T Connection.

Gutted doesn't even start to explain how Im feeling right now.

I know it's gutting.

The gearbox sump plug wasn't tightened properly on my FN2 by the main dealer when it went in for warranty work on the 3rd gear synchro only a few months after I got the car.

The plug dropped out half a mile from work but I only discovered the leak when I got back to it at the end of the working day.

Similar sight.

IMAG0202.jpg

The story of the saga is here: http://type-r-owners.co.uk/forums/s...e-of-oil-under-the-car-waiting-for-the-AA-FTL

Sounds like it will be OK with the distance you moved it. The important bits will probably still have been coated with oil.

Thats bad, from a dealer too. Was there any problems with the Box afterwards?

Im hoping mine will be fine. Like I said the Oil light didn't come on, and it was still dumping oil after I got to Alex's garage, it hasn't run at all after I got there.

The Recovery service was quite good, I phoned my insurance and explained that I had a huge Oil leak, (didn't say it was because Ive had Gauges fitted) but I did say it couldn't be fixed at the roadside and would need either lifting or Towing. They said to expect a text message in 5 minutes. 5 minutes later I got a text saying I would be Recovered within 60 minutes, 58 minutes later he turned up with the Flatbed.

1 problem though, we couldn't pull the car up the ramp because the bumper sits so low at the front, so the bumper had to come off at the roadside, that was a bit scary with Trucks and cars missing my arse by inches while I was undoing the screws that hold the bumper on.

Jeez, roadside shinanigans FTL!

My box seems to be OK. I had the issue with grinding changing up over 8k recently but that has gone away with the clutch and new hydraulic fluid.

The dealer said if I had any issues with whining to take it back, which it didn't afterwards, and hasn't since. It's had the diff in it since and the box looks in good nick, so it should be OK.

Aye main dealers eh?! You'd have thought they'd have offered a years servicing or something, but no, just the cleaning kit. I still take the wife's car there but take mine to TDi or Grinspeed now.

Well I popped into TDi this morning to see what was happening, watched Neil fighting with the remaining thread in the engine. He couldn't get it out with the tapper bit, so heat needed to be applied, off came the Driveshaft and on went the blow torch, and after 20 minutes of playing it finally came out, Ive never been so happy to see 3mm of threaded metal in my entire life. I seriously thought that it was going to have to be drilled, and I really didnt want that to happen.

Anyway, getting the thread out was only one half of the concern, had I damaged anything in the engine, Bearings or the Oil Pump? Taking the Sump Plug out, and only a teaspoon of Oil dripping out it really didn't look good. New Oil and Filter and Spark Plugs out for a clean and it fired up first time, no rattles, squeaks or grindings, RESULT!!!.

Just drove it home, without going over 3000rpm and all seems well, I will give it a couple of days before I give it some.

I think I have been proper lucky to get away with not damaging anything. Im so glad it happened in traffic and not on the motorway when I was giving it some, it could have been a lot worse.

Well after a really crappy start to the week I thought I'd cheer myself up with some window tints. Went with the 5% film, the darkest the shop had, looks good, especially with the forum sticker too.

Also note I've added some Climair Wind Deflectors too.

24112011015.jpg

24112011014.jpg

24112011013.jpg

24112011012.jpg

Just one question, how the hell do you get the little blue stickers off the wind deflectors???

I pretty sure i saw you a few months back a TDi. you were coming out as i was going in. NHB with Orange wheels was me !

Back