• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Staffs Deltic Now in an FK8

Did a track day at Croft on 19th May with Lazytrev & Silver Cider off Civinfo. First time at Croft circuit and not one of the best events for me personally due to suspected dodgy fish the evening beforehand. Plenty of huey & lewy during the night and no sleep! The track itself is nice and flowing and well worth a visit.

Few pics of the day............

Time for some updates............

Well I had and issue with 2 of my Federal RSR tyres. I did the Croft track day and a few days later noticed an issue on one of the tyre. This ' issue' was also present on one other tyre..........

Tyre 1

Tyre 2

As can be seen there is a split across the tread. Both tyres being just under one year old and having 5mm+ left on them. I immediately contacted MyTyres and after a long and painful process (1. Incompetent staff who can't speak English. 2. They expect you to complete a form in German. 3. They organise a collection from the wrong address) I got a full refund. The tyres had gone back to federal for examination and been found to be faulty.

This left me with a dilemma. Do I buy another 2 Federals (as I still have 2 good ones on the car) or plump for something else? Well the truth be known I have enjoyed the levels of grip the RSR gives on track and whilst having this issue isn't ideal I decided I wanted to replace like for like. Now come the really good news............

Last year when I purchased the tyres prices were high, two RSR's cost £252. As I said I got a full refund. Searching on line and wanting to use a UK based company I bought two new ones from Camskill at £170. Two new tyre and change in my pocket. Happy days.
icon_biggrin.gif

Update 2.

After having issues with the noise of my TDi North 3" exhaust (new neighbours were not too happy with 5am starts) I bought a Milltek resonated exhaust. This left me with an issue in that I could not run with a cat between track days. The TDi exhaust was ideal for this purpose being able to swop out the front silencer. Long story cut short I bought a Solid Fabs manifold and 200 cel cat. Knowing that whatever I do I was going to lose power I thought I would give it a go and see how it panned out.................

Before I took the car to TDi North for the swap over Paul posted up that various bits were coming off his FN2 as a result of the purchase of the new FK2. I have always fancied a pukka Mugen intake but been put off due to the need for a custom hard pipe (of HKS hard pipe) between the intake and the throttle body (the bigger FD2 throttle body splits the oem hose). Spoke to Paul and he had a hard pipe to go with the intake. Did a deal and had it fitted at the same time.

Pic of the engine bay as it stands..............

Now for the results of the mapping....................

Still have 254 bhp at the top end however the manifold has hit me in the mid range - loss of 30lb/ft of torque + loss of 20bhp. Must admit I wasn't expecting the figures to be quite that bad.

Either way the drive home from Tdi North was poor not because of those results but from the traffic on the M6 car park. No chance to open the ccar up and see how bad it felt compared to beforehand. Following day I had to pop back to Warrington to drop off a couple of bits I had borrowed off Paul's car. Traffic was quiet so chance to see how if felt. Car has nowhere near the amount of pull it had before. To get the thing to go anywhere you have to really get the revs up. I had forgotten how much fun it was! It drives like an oem car but with more go. Really, really enjoyed driving around and having to boot it in normal everyday traffic.
icon_smile.gif

I am still contemplating taking the manifold off and putting the Tegiwa back on with a welded in cat in the exhaust. All I know is I went to Cadwell last week with a lot less power but with a great big grin on my face. I am thoroughly enjoying the car.
icon_smile.gif

Always look forward to your updates Paul. :smt023

Surprised at those mid range losses too. Not an option to weld the cat into the manifold end of the Milltek?

Always look forward to your updates Paul. :smt023

Surprised at those mid range losses too. Not an option to weld the cat into the manifold end of the Milltek?

Thats the plan John. Stevie should be measuring the space there on your car today. If you think on remind him on. ;)

Nice update Paul, that Mugen intake looks a lovely bit of kit. How does it sound in comparison to the Skunk 2 intake? It's amazing how much of a difference the exhaust & header have on these K20 engines, just goes to show how much of an impact the right setup can have on performance. I had a similar situation with my EP3 when swapping a piper header for a PLM, 25lb ft gains in the mid range!

Have you got anymore plans for the car this year?

About time you updated your thread buddy and a great write up as always :)

Shame you have had to lose your 3" exhaust system due to noise issues, im waiting for moans myself as I've just moved house and usually leave the house about 6am.

Although you've lost quite a bit of power with going back to a more sensible system it doesn't seem to have effected the driving experience especially the way you can hammer it about pal.

Cheers Ben.

Yeah the Mugen intake looks superb. Couldn't see it go somewhere else when it was offered. Sound wise, I can't really tell any change tbh as the 3" exhaust that was fitted beforehand drowned out any intake noise from the Skunk2. What I do know is that it is quieter than the CPL intake I had on the other year. Car feels more refined noise wise (I must be getting old lol).

I accepted beforehand that there would be a loss and was happy with the theory of a manifold change (knowing that they affect the results quite a lot). In practise though the loss is a little more than I am comfortable with considering the money plowed in to it on other supporting mods. I've located a suitable cat to go in the front of the exhaust. Problem is they are out of stock until early next month so I have to wait.

Nothing major planned for this year (famous last words). I need to replace the blue hoses on the intake as they haven't been cut very well and look untidy close up. I am considering a rear cage at some point (think a full cage will be too much for daily use) and to go with it some new seats (as the rears will obviously be binned). Not going to rush into anything though so probably next year......:)

Nice update Paul, that Mugen intake looks a lovely bit of kit. How does it sound in comparison to the Skunk 2 intake? It's amazing how much of a difference the exhaust & header have on these K20 engines, just goes to show how much of an impact the right setup can have on performance. I had a similar situation with my EP3 when swapping a piper header for a PLM, 25lb ft gains in the mid range!

Have you got anymore plans for the car this year?

Cheers Pete. I knew I had to update soon otherwise I would have to write a novel to catch up!

I did enjoy the 3" exhaust but it has to be said the car is more suited to daily use than before. Motorway runs are much nicer with no drone whatsoever, even with the back seats out. Perhaps I won't need a hearing aid in later life now. ;)

Car really needs revs to get going so it is fun. Still going to get it sorted though. I want my torque back! :)

About time you updated your thread buddy and a great write up as always :)

Shame you have had to lose your 3" exhaust system due to noise issues, im waiting for moans myself as I've just moved house and usually leave the house about 6am.

Although you've lost quite a bit of power with going back to a more sensible system it doesn't seem to have effected the driving experience especially the way you can hammer it about pal.

I have said I was keeping the car and when I said it I meant it. Thing is I have had an itch (or two) for a while. I don't normally keep cars for more than a couple of years. I've had the FN2 for nearly 4.5 years and had loads of fun. Enjoyed modding it and wiping the smile off one or two 'faster' car owners on track days. I have however been kidding myself in thinking that modding further will quench my urge for a newer car. Rather than spend a load more cash making the car more track focussed I decided the time has come to part ways......

Anyone who wants a really well sorted FN2 then give Mark or Mike a call at Revitupuk. Car was dropped off there today. Car is in one piece with all mods fitted and will make someone very happy. It is a superb car and will always be one of the high points in my car history.

Last pic of the car..............

New car........

I will be hanging around on the forum. Made some good friends through Type R Owners.
icon_smile.gif

Will you be tracking this one Paul?

As soon as winter is over I'll be seeing what the fuss is about with the FK2. :p

Will you be tracking this one Paul?

As soon as winter is over I'll be seeing what the fuss is about with the FK2. :p

Very probably John. Just got to find out what precautions I need (sump baffle, brake pads etc). Be good to see how both cars perform. :)

Back