• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Staffs Deltic Now in an FK8

Nice updates! :smt023

Well apart from the tyre business.

In November ABP put an offer for the Stoptech touring front brake kit. Considering the brakes on the FN2 to be really poor I thought it was a good time to take advantage of the offer and ordered a set.
icon_smile.gif

A few weeks went by and while waiting for them to arrive I got thinking about going on track. I started to worry that I was paying out for something that may not give me the performance I wanted. Only thing is the price difference between the touring kit and the bbk was quite big (costs enough to buy the touring kit let alone the bbk). Either ways a trip to ABP and a run out in Chris's car made my mind up for me. Order changed for bbk.

Off to ABP this morning to get the kit fitted. Car came out looking like this (yes its dirty)............

Of course the calipers were gold beforehand and now the rears were out of place. While there I picked up some red caliper paint. The weather was dry if cold so I thought there is no time like the present.......

Just to show how near the caliper is to the wheel. The wheels I have are 40 offset. The pic below tries shows how much clearance there is...........

At the tightest point there is around 3.5mm to 4mm clearance.

On the drive back home all I can say is WOW.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

The pedal feel is already good and Dave at ABP says it will get better. Hit the brake pedal and the bite is instantaneous. The car stops so much better than before. Tried a couple of hard-ish stops on the way home and it was fantastic, you have to brace yourself for the deceleration!
icon_biggrin.gif

Just got to wait now for my caliper paint to fully harden on the rears before I have another run out and a play.

Big thanks to ABP for their help / advise and excellent service.
icon_biggrin.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
:lol:

Got to love the clearances haven't you?! I've got about the same on my OEMs with the 15mm spacers.

Car is looking good, are you addicted now?! What's next?!

:lol:

Got to love the clearances haven't you?! I've got about the same on my OEMs with the 15mm spacers.

Car is looking good, are you addicted now?! What's next?!

Addicted, think I got a mental health issue!!!!!

I've ordered some Tegiwa scoops for the fog lights as Paul at TDI North said the CPL CAI would benefit from a bit of fresh air from that location. Just need to look at how to stop loads of crap entering the inner wing. Other than that I am essentially spent up mods wise for the foreseeable (famous last words). Need to look at other things such as helmet, video camera (thinking of a GoPro) before I take it out on track. Also still got to get my harness fixings fitted. The studs on the eyelets that came with the harnesses weren't long enough so I've got to get some new ones then get them fitted.

Just wish I was able to make it on the trip to Spa & the Nurburgring :(

What you got planned after Spa track day wise?

:cool:

A few lads brought Go-Pros to Spa last year, really good bit of kit.

I'm not sure about track days when we get back, I'll keep an eye on HOT and see if there are some reasonable ones come up. Trouble is I'll be properly skint for a while after Spa. :lol:

Would be a shame not to get some more days in though.

One item I found out mid week was that the remap I had on Tuesday wasn't an updated MAP tune but a hybrid MAF tune. Basically I've got my oil light back along with my rev lights.
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif
icon_biggrin.gif

I got a copy of the graph from Tuesday which is attached. Surprised as the car made 230.8 bhp and 162.1 lb/ft torque (that's up 4 bhp but down 2 lb/ft of torque from my original MAP tune last Nov.).
icon_biggrin.gif

Below is a pic of my car alongside another car with standard brakes to give a comparison..........

photo2.jpg

Attachments

• Staffs Deltic RR Graph Hybrid MAF Tune.pdf
    35.1 KB · Views: 11
Excellent figures bud!

The differences might just be down to cooler ambient temperatures etc. Lots of variables.

Brakes are awesome, even if I do say so myself!

Excellent figures bud!

The differences might just be down to cooler ambient temperatures etc. Lots of variables.

Brakes are awesome, even if I do say so myself!

Yes it was a hell of a lot colder last week compared to the rolling road day in Nov. Still you can guess which figures I'm gonna quote from now on. ;)

I'll be glad when they are fully settled in but they are already inspiring confidence.:D

Finally got round to getting the harnesses fitted (well ABP did the hard work).

P1030609.jpg

Fixings all in place so that they can be taken out when not going on track.

Nice! Did you end up using a harness bar?

Any pics of the fixings?

I haven't used a harness bar John. Used some of the existing bolt mounts with one of them being tapped to take a larger thread on the eyelet.

I will get some pics of the mountings over then next day or so and post them up.

How does the BBK compare to the VXR's brakes? my girlfriends VXR brakes are snap your neck savage!

The VXR brakes were very good and probably gave the same stopping feel that the BBK gives on the CTR (also had braided lines on the VXR). The VXR's brakes would fade pretty quickly under sustained abuse whereas the BBK doesn't seem to fade on fast road use (hoping same will apply on track).:D

Wouldn't mind trying out the Nurburgring Corsa and see how it stops as it has been fitted with Brembos. Should have improved the performance no end (braking wise).:)

Nice! Did you end up using a harness bar?

Any pics of the fixings?

The pic below shows the 2 bolt for the waist straps. The one fitted to the seat base rail has had to be tapped out. The Honda bolt has a strange tapered thread which is different to any other thread I have seen! Essentially I have to either leave the eyelet in place when I sell the car or I replace with a difference bolt with a 7/16ths thread. The other eyelet can be seen in on of the existing seat belt holders on the B pillar.

P1030614.jpg

I can't get at the rear mount as I have to figure out how to get access to it so I will have a look over the weekend when I have some more time.:)

Having driven back from ABP with the harnesses fitted the seat belt warning alarm kept sounding which was really annoying. Thought about getting some old clips from a scrapper but ended up getting these off fleabay..........

Mmm, I get the idea.

Are you just going to put them in with the harness to stop the beeping or are you planning on leaving them in and using your regular belt with them?

Are the BS kite marked etc?

Mmm, I get the idea.

Are you just going to put them in with the harness to stop the beeping or are you planning on leaving them in and using your regular belt with them?

Are the BS kite marked etc?

Just gonna put them in when I'm using the harnesses. TBH I wouldn't want to use them permanently as they feel cheap (they were £4.95 for both) and I wouldn't trust them if the worst happened. No kite marks so that says it all really.

They'll do for what I want though.:)

Back