• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FN2 Fast Road Setup help/advise please...

Hi...
So I've had my FN2 since Sept 11' (like 6 months already... That's gone fast!)
Anyway this is my first performance car and I love it! I've been looking on the forum for a while and the thing that comes up over and over is the FRSU...
So I'm intrigued, it's obviously a car changing modification (why else would so many members have undertaken it!) but what do I need and how much should I expect to pay if I went ahead with it...
Many of the post I've read upgrade with Eibach springs, in most cases to improve everyday ride comfort - but I do not mind the firm ride, are they really required or can I still have it done with the standard springs?
Another worry is tyre wear - would it eat my tread excessively fast? What are people's experiences with this? My final worry is insurance, would I have to inform my insurance company and would they hit me hard for altering the setup from standard - I'm 23 so get hit for insurance anyway!
I know I'll probably be told to just get on with it and have it done but I've never done any modification's to any of my previous cars...
Any advise is greatly appreciated... :confused:

Fast road setup will cost around £160 (Grinspeed in the traders section) to £250 depending where you go and labour rates.

Will you wish you'd had the springs done sooner when you finally get them done? Yes, yes you will. :lol:

You don't need to change the springs though, it can be done on OEM springs.

Tyre wear is much of a muchness. For all you know you could be running 1 deg negative camber on one side and 1 deg positive on the the other as it is now, as could your toe be well out as it is. With the settings done properly you'll just get wear on the insides of the tyre first, instead of probably random wear now.

Technically you should tell your insurance as changing the camber bolts from OEM to aftermarket and adding rear shims is a modification. Will it affect you insurance? Depends who you are with, but when I told the company it didn't add anything, some mods don't but you still need to declare them.

The FN2 is in no way better standard compared to with the FRSU.

You may, may, get some increased tram-lining if you have tyres that were prone to it before hand.

Thanks Loxy.

I'm unsure whether to get the FRSU now. It seems like everyone installs the Eibach Pro Kit springs along with a fast road setup? Is this what you ended up doing?

Cheers!

I got the FRSU first then added the springs later.

I wasted a fair bit of money in labour costs doing it that way though as the FRSU needs setting up again when the car is lowered and there is a fair bit of labour duplicated in fitting the rear shims then rear springs later.

It makes sense to get it all done at the same time if you plan to eventually put the springs on.

Shall hold off on the FRSU for now then. Thanks buddy.

The ride I find a tad harsh if I'm honest. So I'll wait a few weeks then decide if I want the progressive springs, then get it all done at the same time! :)

I wasted a fair bit of money in labour costs doing it that way though as the FRSU needs setting up again when the car is lowered and there is a fair bit of labour duplicated in fitting the rear shims then rear springs later.

It makes sense to get it all done at the same time if you plan to eventually put the springs on.

Hi Loxy! Thanks again for useful info. Please advise, whether it is necessary to change shocks along with springs? If stock shocks fit good with Eibach springs, can I change springs leaving stock shocks if I've already driven 48 000km on this shocks?

OEM shocks work fine with the Eibach spring.

Without inspecting your existing shocks, there is no telling what they are like and how long they will last. They could fail tomorrow on OEM springs for all I know. Some have been known to need changing at 48,000 km, but that is extreme.

Thanks, buddy. I drive in Russia and it is much more extreme than in UK, even if you are not a racer:smt066

Does it have to be done ? The frsu ? Or is eibach springs on new Sachs shocks ok?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Does it have to be done ? The frsu ? Or is eibach springs on new Sachs shocks ok?

You'll need an alignment/tracking adjustment done after fitting new shocks/springs anyway, so the difference really is whether you also fit camber bolts and have them align it to the FRSU, or whether you settle for a standard configuration.

Cheers mate spent enough at the minute on full suspension on the front eibach springs cant afford it I'll just get regular wheel alignment if it's not a necessity

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Back