• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

How are young drivers getting insurance so cheap?!?!

Hey everyone.

Just a quick post to ask how these young drivers are managing to get such cheap insurance quotes on a CTR.

I'm 21, had my licence for 3.5 years, and have 2 years no claims.

I'm looking at what people (with my circumstances on age and no claims) are getting insurance quotes for, and cannot for my life understand how you are getting it sooo cheap compared to me!

It's my understanding that if you say your parent is the main driver and you are a named driver (but you drive the CTR all the time) then this basically makes your insurance invalid (i think i read it's called fronting) How on earth then are people managing this?

Also, i have seen that some people say about putting there parents on their insurance and it knocks it down massively. I have put me as the main driver on a CTR and my Dad as a named driver but this INCREASES the premium. (Baring in mind also that my Dad has been driving since like he was 17 and is 53 now and has never made a claim. Therefore having over 30 years no claims.)

Am I doing something wrong with the insurance quotes? I just really cant understand how people the same age as me, sameNCB as me are managing to get insured on a CTR for like £800.

My insurance is £970, i'm 21, 3 years no claims and 6 points on my license, no named drivers just me! i'm not doing anything different as far as im aware...
how much are you being quoted?

Post code and occupation play a big factor on comparison sites. Also if you specify in a garage it's generally more expensive than say residential parking.

Have you tried the likes of Sky, A Plan etc?

My insurance is £970, i'm 21, 3 years no claims and 6 points on my license, no named drivers just me! i'm not doing anything different as far as im aware...
how much are you being quoted?

Im currently with admiral, and also have multicar discount.

I am being quoted £1400 on a CTR EP3.

Just went on Ecar cuz apparently its cheap, they quoted me £4126!!!

Post code and occupation play a big factor on comparison sites. Also if you specify in a garage it's generally more expensive than say residential parking.

Have you tried the likes of Sky, A Plan etc?

My occupation is Trainee accountant (does that make it higher?) I llive in Northampton aswell.

I said on it. that it will be on my drive.

I tried the sky website, but came back saying 'unable to quote' Just tried Ecar cuz they apparently cheap, but quoted £4126 :(

wootton the trick is to play with certain variables when trying to bring your premium down. presuming you're using something like moneysupermarket or whatever it is quick to see what the changes make to the quote. in my experience admiral/elephant are almost always the cheapest for boys.

admiral also are one of the few companies who bring premiums down when you put parents on the policy. interesting that you say it went up. maybe they take your age into account as you are relatively young (under 25) so they may weight the policy if you put dad on. try with your mum instead, she has been on my policy for years and brings it down around 25%.

also remember to limit the amount of miles you do, try dropping it to 6000 or lower for a reasonable discount. you shouldn't take the **** and put 2000 if you cover reasonable mileage as if you need to claim they might check mileage at MOT points then you are scuppered. if you change car every few months you can put ultra low mileage.

as has been said, play around with the location of the car, drive, street, garage as this helps. if you don't have a garage and that is what you list it as, good luck claiming if your car is stolen from your address.

if you own a £3000-4000 ep3 it wouldn't be worth claiming at all if it was stolen. the total additional cost over the next 5 years of starting from scratch on your NCB, having to declare a theft and paying your excess of £500+ means it's better to take it on the chin and not claim.

another thing to play around with is your job title. you can't put financial director if you work in superdrug, but the job titles are open to interpretation. "supervisor" "customer service" is better than you are a waiter. having tested this i have found employment type can have a big difference.

good post rossy. Wooton are you the guy in another thread who couldn't get below £1000 or something? Because £1000 isnt bad at all in your circumstances. I was paying a grand with the admiral 10month bonus accelerator, so essentially £1200 a year, with named drivers lowering my premium. But as it happens I genuinely do have named drivers who are lower risk, driving my car. And as said, the admiral group are typically giving the best quotes. Although have you tried PremiumChoice?
Is it modified? because that seems to increase premiums alot.
The occupation thing is a bit unfair and unrealistic I feel as its gotta be based on some kinda statistics, generalisations and assumptions and we are unknowlingly raising our quotes based on this

i also think given that you're 21 with a couple of years NCB and the current state of the insurance industry and price increases a grand is a "reasonable" premium.

I'm from the Northampton area and I have 4 years NCB on me though ( im 21 ). I'm getting quotes around £1000-1400 mark cheapest is Churchill for me! Still searching myself though, Try Adrian Flux

another thing to play around with is your job title. you can't put financial director if you work in superdrug, but the job titles are open to interpretation. "supervisor" "customer service" is better than you are a waiter. having tested this i have found employment type can have a big difference.

^this.

mine went down by quite a bit when i went to web designer from sales.

You've got it all wrong mate, you dont make your parent a main driver and you a named, that would be void, and also you wouldn't build up any no claims. You need to make a policy in your own name, and put your parents as named drivers. Insurance companies then see this as you are not driving it all the time, and so there is less risk it will have a crash as your dad with 20+ years experience may drive the car half the time! this brings your insurance down ***** loads.

Mines an ep3 civic, im 21, 1 year no claims ( had crash which was 50/50 year ago), 2 named drivers both with 20+ years driving - £874 a year :)

hope you can get some nice quotes now :D

Everyone knows web designers are great drivers right? :D
geek2.jpg

yea really cheap :) considering it was 1800 before i added my mum and dad :p of course location, job and where it's kept is important but using them as named drivers gave me a wopping discount, and so have friends/family that have done the same :)

Back