• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Had Accident Need Insurance Advice Please.

Hi, I have just been involved in an accident and damaged the front of my car, I have done all the obvious stuff got names and numbers told the insurance etc and they are getting someone out tomorow to have a look at it.
My problem is that I had planned to change the exhaust back box back to standard as it is a custom one that was on the car when i got it, so had not informed the insurance, but i havent had time to do this yet as my mate still has it, do you think they will invalidate my insurance because of this or should i try and get it changed before they pick it up? There isnt any damage to the back so i dont see why they would be looking and it isnt a massive exhaust so not sure if they will notice?

It wouldn't surprise me if they do, depends if they notice. Insurance companies are looking for a reason not to pay out normally, so that's why you should always be totally honest.

Thats what i was thinking if they spot it. Its just going to be awkward trying to change it before they want to pick it up as i havent changed one before. Thanks though.

It seems that way, basicaly the van infront of me hit the car infront of him and i braked when i saw the accident but didnt stop fully in time and hit him so i will be liable for hitting the van and depending on how they view the accident maybe the car too, but i dont agree with that as i didnt hit him, but insurance don't do fair do they. I think my car has the most damage too.

That sucks. :(

You insurance will fight over it with the others. I would look at getting the exhaust changed as a precaution though.

Good luck with it.

I have just been and got the exhaust off my mate, he has been realy good about it actually as I havent paid him for it either, so will be having a go at changing that in the morning, is it simple? I dont supose someone could point me in the right direction of a guide?

Literally 2 bolts clamping the exhaust flange to the mid pipe and some rubber hangers that pop off with a bit of force. Jack rear end up as high as you can get it, it'll make it easier, obviously do it safely as you don't want the car falling on you. Really easy.

Good luck with the insurance :)

There may be a guide but it's simple as long as the bolts aren't seized/rusted.

If it's just the backbox, then it's a few bolts, by the rear drivers side wheel. You can't miss them.

Sounds simple enough.
I have some ramps so should be safe getting under there Griffin.
Thanks for all the help guys.
Will let you know how I get on and if i get to keep my car, only had it just over two months so i hope its not a write off.

How fast would you estimate the van was going in front of you when he hit the car in front of him? If it was 10mph plus, and the car in front was stationary, then you could perhaps argue that the braking distance from an impact is far shorter than your cars' brakes are able to give, hence not really your fault.

There's loads of variables though, and I am sure your insurers will be all over it.

Which company BTW?

The van was going steady like i was about 40 to 45, it was the usual works traffic and i dont know what the car infront of him was doing as i couldnt see him, but he says he had to brake as the car infront of him slammed on, so it was a chain reaction and i drew the short straw of being at the back and it seems getting the least warning time.
As you say i hope my insurance will be fighting my corner but i dont know how it works, do they just look for the easiest option and blame me or try and prove it wasnt my fault?
Im with Churchill.

I would personally play the dumb card, saying you bought it like it and were none the wiser that it was an after-market exhaust (if you can't swap it in the mean time), have you got protected no claims?? going to a 50/50 will loose your excess and no claims :( happened to me 2 years ago :'(

The van was going steady like i was about 40 to 45, it was the usual works traffic and i dont know what the car infront of him was doing as i couldnt see him, but he says he had to brake as the car infront of him slammed on, so it was a chain reaction and i drew the short straw of being at the back and it seems getting the least warning time.
As you say i hope my insurance will be fighting my corner but i dont know how it works, do they just look for the easiest option and blame me or try and prove it wasnt my fault?
Im with Churchill.
You present your case/drawings of the accident to your insurer via whatever process they use, they then fight it out with the other companies. They will do everything to try and lay the blame on the other parties involved, as will their insurers.

IMO the other insurance companies will claim you should have had sufficient braking distance to avoid the accident so your inclusion and the damage to the rear of the van is your fault and it'll no doubt end up 50/50

I would love to play dumb but i cant, it says Custom Chrome Racing on the top, thanks for the sugestion though.
I dont have them protected no and i have been told i will probably lose 2 of my 5 years, that is the second time that has happened, i realy should have learned my lesson last time on that front. Im Gutted as i had to wait till i had five again to be able to get the car as the insurance was a joke previously so if it is repaired i might not be able to keep it anyway when its due again next year as im sure they will try and rape me:(
Did you hit the back of someone too?

My girlfriend was involved in an accident just like yours. There was a lot of arguing between insurance companies but in the end it went 50/50 between my girlfriend and the bloke she drove into the back of.

I dont know if this is a good outcome or not realy? Atleast i wouldn't get blamed for any of the damage to the car the van hit as they say i might.

You present your case/drawings of the accident to your insurer via whatever process they use, they then fight it out with the other companies. They will do everything to try and lay the blame on the other parties involved, as will their insurers.

Its good to know they will actually try and help me. I have a feeling this might end 50/50 as people have sugested, the lad i hit has said i wasnt tailgaiting and it all happened too quickly.

could you not have protected your no claims, most insurance companies will protect it if you have 4-5 years no claims. My insurance told me that with every claim, you loose 2 no claims years, so that sounds about right.

I was in a side road pulling out onto a main road, the last car in the que had his indicator on to go down my side road, i then checked the opposite road to make sure that was clear, started to pull out slowly, other driver kept going! Got out of car, yelled at him, his indicator still blinking, got a witness

got home, rang insurance... a few months later, car (my old peugeot 206) repaired, paid 600 quid excess, he had denied his indicator was blinking, witness had moved address and basically deserted me, went to 50/50 and i lost all of my no claims.

he was 50+ years old so he had plenty of no claims to spare, i had a bad neck and received basically my excess + a little more back

Learnt my lesson :) dont trust no one :p

rant over :D

IMO the other insurance companies will claim you should have had sufficient braking distance to avoid the accident so your inclusion and the damage to the rear of the van is your fault and it'll no doubt end up 50/50

They have said i will more than likely be at fault for the van, its the car infront i dont think i should get the blame for, i never touched his car.

Back