• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

Caliper Overhaul/Service

I recently had mine done, pretty easy if you know what you are doing and takes less than an hour. I bought a service Kit off ebay for about £45 or £50 as my old piston was rusty and jamming the front wheel - Comes with all seals and grease etc and this is basically all you need unless you can find a set of cheap calipers for the same price (I wouldn't spend the £200 or so for a refurbished one) - I would advise doing both at the same time, roughly 1 hour per caliper. I think the front service kit is dearer than the rear too.

Most Calipers are the same so may be good to look at Youtube for reference if you are doing it yourself and may take about two hours per caliper - remember to bleed the brakes and top up your brake fluid after it, this too is pretty straight forward. As I earlier said, if you are going to replace the caliper at a garage or yourself, it can be a hell of a lot cheaper to service the existing one as most of the work is removing the caliper anyway.

I only serviced one side but if I get round to doing the other I will try to video the process and post a link.

I would have done a step by step guide which I will do when I get round to servicing the other Caliper.

I recently had mine done, pretty easy if you know what you are doing and takes less than an hour. I bought a service Kit off ebay for about £45 or £50 as my old piston was rusty and jamming the front wheel - Comes with all seals and grease etc and this is basically all you need unless you can find a set of cheap calipers for the same price (I wouldn't spend the £200 or so for a refurbished one) - I would advise doing both at the same time, roughly 1 hour per caliper. I think the front service kit is dearer than the rear too.

Most Calipers are the same so may be good to look at Youtube for reference if you are doing it yourself and may take about two hours per caliper - remember to bleed the brakes and top up your brake fluid after it, this too is pretty straight forward. As I earlier said, if you are going to replace the caliper at a garage or yourself, it can be a hell of a lot cheaper to service the existing one as most of the work is removing the caliper anyway.
I only serviced one side but if I get round to doing the other I will try to video the process and post a link.

I would have done a step by step guide which I will do when I get round to servicing the other Caliper.

Thanks man, was hoping I would get away with just replacing may pads and discs but sadly after completing the job the brakes are still rubbing!:mad:
Two service kits ordered, will post result.
P.S. What fluid did you use when bleeding your brakes?

I think it was dot 4 brake fluid (I checked online first and I think the service manual states this too but double check) - glad I could help also.

BOOM!
Completed the overhaul of both my front calipers! Brakes feel way better. If anyone is thinking of doing this you'll need a service kit which as kreddie said you can find on ebay. Also I found my Honda workshop manual extremely useful-this too can be found on ebay.
If anyone needs any specific advice just ask, you know its going to be sound advice as i'm still here having not stuffed my brief at the first set of traffic lights with full brake failure:lol:

If u don't have an air gun, free the caliper but leave the brake lines attached and remove pads. Pumping the brake peddle will pop the piston out. Be ready for lots of brake fluid spewing out when the piston comes out. Do both at the same time ;)

It's not a guide but might help some people with photos. Caliper rebuild is quite straight forward. Spent most of the time was trying to clean them!

I brought this kit for £26 from fleebay - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIV...362?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item4d25c2e8ca

Rear caliper didn't get new piston, only new seal which was £12 - http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/HONDA-CIV...720?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item35de37a280

Caliper Rebuild:

Started cleaning the claiper

Got the piston out

Gave caliper housing a clean (best i could do)

New Piston and seals in

Painted caliper. Should have painted before putting new piston and seal in as got abit of paint on dust seal but shouldn't be a problem.

Final coat and dried

Painted front and rear carriers

Trying to get all rust and paint off rear caliper

Piston out of rear caliper

Piston cleaned up

rear caliper now built, started painting

New rear discs, pads and braided hoses on. Need to paint caliper.

Front brakes done

Some pics of braied hoses (Racetec)

rear built caliper on

Side view working in the dark

What it looks like with wheels on

Rear Wheel

Front Wheel

I've just done this, never done befor found it easy and everything works great plenty of vids around I ended up using a car tyre valve cutting the bulb off the end screwing it into to the caliper were the fluid pipe goes and using a foot pump to get the piston out worked a treat

Cursing helps.

It's awkward, getting the seals situated is a PITA. Once you get them right the piston should slide in easily. This is copied from my build thread:

New seals and piston covered in lube supplied with kit.
Piston seal situated in caliper.
Weather seal put over bottom of piston, with the caliper end hanging off the bottom of the piston.
Piston and seal pushed into caliper, slowly push piston in and try to situate seal in caliper.
Once the piston is 3/4 in, situate the seal on the piston.

Back