• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

car done! assuming work doesn't throw something at me overnight, i'll be collecting it first thing tomorrow.

car collected. stalled the car before even taking the handbrake off! :smt082
from the 2-3 mile i drove back from dealer i noticed the pedal is heavier and engagement is more agressive but that could be down to re-adjusting from the Jazz which felt like it had twice the pedal travel and bite point being near the top. I do like heavier pedal - always though the pedal was a touch on the light side.

Not sure i wanna face rush hour in it yet till i've adjusted to it. initial impressions are good and somewhat what i expected it to be like in all honesty.
Currently the dual plate only chatters with the clutch down.

Last edited by a moderator:
car collected. stalled the car before even taking the handbrake off! :smt082
from the 2-3 mile i drove back from dealer i noticed the pedal is heavier and engagement is more agressive but that could be down to re-adjusting from the Jazz which felt like it had twice the pedal travel and bite point being near the top. I do like heavier pedal - always though the pedal was a touch on the light side.

Not sure i wanna face rush hour in it yet till i've adjusted to it. initial impressions are good and somewhat what i expected it to be like in all honesty.
Currently the dual plate only chatters with the clutch down.

Glad you have it back now, I take it you had to pay for the privilege of Honda stripping / rebuilding the box ?

i did pay :(

adjusting to the clutch quicker than i thought. Still being very aware of how i use the pedal, especially in first but so far I've not noticed any notchiness or shift issues in any gear. The drive home from work made me think how well it suits the car; clutch is sharp and accurate. Getting some vibration through the clutch pedal makes the car feel a bit more raw and inline with what the TypeR is all about.
just need to figure standing starts out as i'm getting clutch judder. seem some mentions on more revs might help - around the 2k mark rather than around 1200 i currently launch at.

nice to be back in the civic after 2.5wks - very different feel than the jazz. Feels so tight and solid.

mine arrived today and as clutch packs go it's pretty sexy :lol:

now to find a decent garage near me to fit it, bit above my driveway capabilities haha

I've been there with clutches veehexx. If you're doing any sort of daily duties with it, they get boring very very quickly.

Good luck with it but from what you've said, I'd already be making plans to get it removed, but that's me.

mine arrived today and as clutch packs go it's pretty sexy :lol:

now to find a decent garage near me to fit it, bit above my driveway capabilities haha

that's something i came up with. done FWD and RWD clutches in the past. cba with civic. looks like a nasty job with subframe and suspension disruption involved and the info i saw on MaRIS the other day, you gotta support the engine from the top, so i guess that means not just undo bolts half way but fully remove them (i didn't get that far into the destructions; 1h access and was looking for other clutch info)

@loxy i did go into the purchase of dual plate well informed. i'd have preferred single plate but that wasn't available in the timescale i wanted. time will tell but i'm confident i'll be reasonably happy to live with this in the long term. When it's due for change I'll be looking into single plate though. dualy is insanely overkill for me - running about 1/3rd of its rated handling. so far the dual plate is better than expected based on internet reports - quieter and not as on/off as people suggest. maybe they're running ceramic/carbon versions and not organic? only thing that didn't match the internet info was pedal weight. this xtreme is noticeably heavier than stock and i only foresee possible issues in the big jams; motorway 2-3hour closures kinda traffic - nothing i'd ever see on the daily drive.

that's something i came up with. done FWD and RWD clutches in the past. cba with civic. looks like a nasty job with subframe and suspension disruption involved and the info i saw on MaRIS the other day, you gotta support the engine from the top, so i guess that means not just undo bolts half way but fully remove them (i didn't get that far into the destructions; 1h access and was looking for other clutch info)

I knew it was a PITA but not that bad, now I can't decide to pay double for Honda to do it incase something fecks up.

out of interest veehexx did you pay for new parts in the gearbox or just put it all back together?

I replaced everything that needed it. yes it's a lot of money but it just didnt make any sense to half-arse it. already in the hole for £2200 (Xtreme clutch+all labour), so throwing in the cost of parts with gearbox repair seemed almost trivial. close enough £3k all in.

i had 1st/2nd synchro & 2nd gear done in gearbox. Dealer thought the clutch didnt need replacing but my heart was set on SMF when it's out of warranty and i'm paying for replacement - that just happened 3years earlier than i expected.
I'm not getting the notchiness in any gear now either so i'm sure there was a clutch fault. Same symptoms as April17 clutch replacement.
Old parts are sat outside in the conservatory waiting for me to take a look. Nothing visually obvious stands out on the clutch side.

Thats kinda my story on the car - wear items have worn out/replaced quicker than anticipated (tyres, brakes, clutch/gearbox). Almost anything i've tried to do has ended up with delays (Remus catback, winter wheels, 4months on this gearbox issue), or just plain bad luck (3 seperate faults with audio upgrade). Joys of this typeR i guess - low build numbers and needing quality aftermarket for track use to make reliable makes quick parts a bit of a nightmare. If parts come in less than a month then i'm doing well...

if i were in your position, i'd be looking at how much longer i have on warranty. if a month or two left is it really worth getting honda to do the work vs a trusted indy shop? If i knew the warranty outcome of my gearbox then i'd have gone indy and saved a few hundred quid however I had more to gain by attempting warranty so that was the deciding factor.

Still annoys me that every gearbox issue found 9 times out of 10 they blame the driver when there's a blatant fault somewhere.
Say in 10 months time they find a fault, hold their hands up and put a flag on the system will they then refund owners like yourself

I don’t know what this sudden obsession with neons is... I know a few people round my area have installed them on various cars, they need to be left in the 90’s and not on performance cars like the FK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One chap did back in 2015, he was the first to collect the FK2 and whacked neons on within a few weeks,
Not a fan myself but engine bay neon looks good on the type R some chick did it herself on a CW fn2 did look good and would be ideal for night time oil checks :)

Cheers Dweezle, will have a look online. Just thought they would like cool to put on for pictures.

Cheers Dweezle, will have a look online. Just thought they would like cool to put on for pictures.

If it’s just for pictures I would have thought some big standard LED tubing of some kind would be cheaper than having something fitted to the car “permanently” and wired in in some way, worth looking at all options if like you say it’s just for the sake of photography bud!

Back