• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

finally got some positive news on notchy gearshifts...
Original purchase Xtreme single plate SMF kit ETA was 8weeks. got an upgrade to the dual plate version which will be here next week.
Off to dealer next week for a fortnight to get the gearbox 2nd gear synchro looked at (i doubt they'll find an issue) and while the box is out, fit the Xtreme clutch.

all shifts have been getting worse in the last week, so much so i've been finger-tip shifting like the knob is made from an egg. Letting the revs drop to 1.5k seems to be a common solution to it entering gears. i'm confident clutch will fix the issue and no issue in gearbox. Willing to be proven wrong by the dealer, and in a way i hope they do find a gearbox issue as well - time well spent pulling it apart and should aid the failure numbers towards a recall for others.

Who covers the cost of the gearbox in &'out and strip down / rebuild if there is no fault found ?

honestly, i dont know. not been talked about so i assume no cost either way. they diagnosed it and they want to strip it so i guess they do?
in the past when they've not been sure, they've always tried to scare me off with 'your paying if not fault found'. this time, nothing.

maybe they (honda) know more than they're letting on with this 2nd gear issue, or maybe it's the state we all know about across the fk8 forums.

Maybe they'll spring it on me when i collect. Won't go down without a fight. I know the car has not been abused so they cant legitimately use driver abuse to get around it. i'd expect abuse to be shown in either the clutch wear, or synchro with chewed up teeth. I'm sure they know what to look for between abuse and legit claims.
I've had the car since new and it's always had dealer service, work & parts on it apart from cat-back and camber ball joint work.

they have the car for 2 weeks, so could be they want to diagnose better overnight form cold to get a better view of the issue. being a cold week next week, hopefully they'll see it's in all gears and agree it's not synchro's.... or determine it's clutch with possibly syncrho damage and get both done on warranty as consequential claim.

without the FK2R for a week or 2 now. been put in to another blue 'onda, but this time a jazz on a 68 plate. I'm sure there'll be some joke with the neighbours about the car shrinking in the wash when i spent 4-5 hours cleaning it on saturday.
gearbox worse than the civic. damn thing does not wanna go into first. i'd be unhappy if i blew £12k or whatever a new jazz costs if the 'box felt like that. as a runabout it's not too bad.

fingers crossed Xtreme & TDI-N come up true to their word and the clutch comes in this week. should be in the UK today/tomorrow if all is well and 24/48h delivery to me.

gearbox worse than the civic. damn thing does not wanna go into first. i'd be unhappy if i blew £12k or whatever a new jazz costs if the 'box felt like that. as a runabout it's not too bad.

You see that pedal under your left foot? ;)

dealer has gearbox apart. found some burring on 2nd gear.

InkedIMG_0630_LI.jpg

i'm awaiting a decision on if this will be warranty and still waiting for clutch kit to turn up - looks like it wont be here this week :(

Whats the best way of putting the interior carbon pack on that you can safely get them off for resale?ha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Whats the best way of putting the interior carbon pack on that you can safely get them off for resale?ha

I would say minimal amounts of 3M tape mate, maybe even a cheaper quality as the 3M stuff is quite hard binding and can be a real mission to get off, others may know better ideas

dealer has gearbox apart. found some burring on 2nd gear.

View attachment 19379

i'm awaiting a decision on if this will be warranty and still waiting for clutch kit to turn up - looks like it wont be here this week :(

Catch me up Veehex, what caused you to get it investigated in the first place? I’m trying to best prepare myself for any warning signs should the worst happen... the cold weather has put me on edge with how clunky the gears have felt but once it warms up it’s good as gold, like I say I just want to arm myself with the knowledge I don’t suspect anything at the moment

bit of a long story, but short of it is... had the car from new, about 15months in i had notchyness in all gears. got a clutch done on warranty. about 15months since then (july this year) problem re-occurs. feels like clutch isn't releasing fully; feels like its dragging. Took 3-4 visits between July and early Nov to dealer for them to find something and they've only found 2nd gear being notchy.
no grinding, lots of notchiness. very very rarely i'll get a lockout but nothing like the fk8 guys seem to get.
I met up with RichE whos shifts were buttery smooth. i dont ever recall mine being that smooth but proved there was something off with mine and wasn't just me.

I was skeptical it was gearbox - after all it happens in all gears but admittedly 2nd is the most obvious. Fair enough i let them have it to strip apart. as the picture shows, there is something there.
that picture wouldn't cause issues in other gears so i'm confident it's the same clutch issue again. if there's clutch problems (dragging) then it could obviously damage the gearbox the way the pictures show and that would mean I've had 2 clutches in 3years - simply not on so I'm dumping the honda clutch and going for the Xtreme SMF conversion at my own cost. SMF was always on the cards for the car so i've mearly brought the cost forward a few years and benefited from, hopefully, free labour. With any luck the 'box pull labour will be covered under the 2nd gear repair warranty so they'll be a small cost for the dealers time to swap clutch&flywheel.

car is a daily driver, 27k, nov'15 registration. 3yr warranty expires end of this month

Last edited by a moderator:
bit of a long story, but short of it is... had the car from new, about 15months in i had notchyness in all gears. got a clutch done on warranty. about 15months since then (july this year) problem re-occurs. feels like clutch isn't releasing fully; feels like its dragging. Took 3-4 visits between July and early Nov to dealer for them to find something and they've only found 2nd gear being notchy.
no grinding, lots of notchiness. very very rarely i'll get a lockout but nothing like the fk8 guys seem to get.
I met up with RichE whos shifts were buttery smooth. i dont ever recall mine being that smooth but proved there was something off with mine and wasn't just me.

I was skeptical it was gearbox - after all it happens in all gears but admittedly 2nd is the most obvious. Fair enough i let them have it to strip apart. as the picture shows, there is something there.
that picture wouldn't cause issues in other gears so i'm confident it's the same clutch issue again. if there's clutch problems (dragging) then it could obviously damage the gearbox the way the pictures show and that would mean I've had 2 clutches in 3years - simply not on so I'm dumping the honda clutch and going for the Xtreme SMF conversion at my own cost. With any luck the 'box pull labour will be covered under the 2nd gear repair warranty.

car is a daily driver, 27k, nov'15 registration. 3yr warranty expires end of this month

Bloody hell, at least you got the opportunity to have someone that isn’t influenced by Honda to validate your concerns, hopefully the clutch upgrade will resolve it once and for all mate, like I say I’ve no real concerns with mine as yet but it has been notchy in all gears in the cold but not once the cars heated up, and it’s been excessively cold my way, so if it were to continue when the weather picks up again I’d have reason to worry... I’m hoping it’s me being over cautious because of my love for the car because with my Remus and Eventuri I don’t doubt Honda would waltz away saying it wouldn’t be sorted under warranty!

@ D3ano
I changed the gearbox oil in my FK2 and it made a huge improvement on the notchy gear change.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

@ D3ano
I changed the gearbox oil in my FK2 and it made a huge improvement on the notchy gear change.

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

I’ll have to pull out my service receipt from September as I thought it had been done then but I may be wrong, I’ll check that to be sure if not I’ll take it to Honda and request one, cheers Jason

i dont think it's due till about 60k miles. i also had one done late aug/early sept (around 24k). £75 for a week or 2 difference at most. obviously oil wouldn't do too much based on the picture above but was the next quickest and cheapest option after a clutch bleed. because warranty, i used dealer and genuine oil.

You sound very much like me d3ano - bought the car for longer term and you wanna take care of it. based on the experiences with mine and similar goings on with the FK8 gearbox, there does seem to be cause for concern. Like i say, i had to go back a few times for them to find the problem. dont let them fob you off with "its normal". maybe for a jazz or standard civic (driven both to compare), but ime the typeR is a beautiful feeling box. I figured they're just not used to typeR's. we drive them daily, dealers once every so often and get used to the poorer non-typeR 'boxes.

just had to pop back to dealer to give the key part of the fob over to them. I've only ever given them the electric keyfob side for servicing so assumed that'd be fine this time too. They d/c'd the battery and cant get back in to pop bonnet for an ecu check. glad to say while i have been tempted to remap, i never scratched that itch so it's completely stock and virgin. A bit suspicious with gearbox damage and they're checking the ECU but hey ho..hopefully its just info gathering and ticking the boxes of the warranty process than anything they're trying to squirm out of. so far i've only had good results from honda warranty.
I run remus catback, K&N panel, and TDI-N IC for the power side. all bolt-on stuff and within modding tolerances according to the dealer, which seem to be a verbal 350bhp figure.

temperature also had an effect on mine the last few weeks - the cooler ambient was, the worse it felt but didn't have much difference when hot. could reinforce my thought on it being clutch side - bell housing never really warms up like engine/gearbox side does.

i dont think it's due till about 60k miles. i also had one done late aug/early sept (around 24k). £75 for a week or 2 difference at most. obviously oil wouldn't do too much based on the picture above but was the next quickest and cheapest option after a clutch bleed. because warranty, i used dealer and genuine oil.

You sound very much like me d3ano - bought the car for longer term and you wanna take care of it. based on my experiences with mine and similar goings on with the FK8 gearbox, there does seem to be cause for concern. Like i say, i had to go back a few times for them to find the problem. dont let them fob you off with "its normal". maybe for a jazz or standard civic (driven both to compare), but ime the typeR is a beautiful feeling box.

just had to pop back to dealer to give the key part of the fob over to them. I've only ever given them the electric keyfob side for servicing so assumed that'd be fine this time too. They d/c'd the battery and cant get back in to pop bonnet for an ecu check. glad to say while i have been tempted to remap, i never scratched that itch so it's completely stock and virgin. A bit suspicious with gearbox damage and they're checking the ECU but hey ho..hopefully its just info gathering and ticking the boxes of the warranty process than anything they're trying to squirm out of. so far i've only had good results from honda warranty.
I run remus catback, K&N panel, and TDI-N IC for the power side. all bolt-on stuff and within modding tolerances according to the dealer, which seem to be a verbal 350bhp figure.

That’s handy to know, I didn’t realise there’s a general tolerance they had, I may hold off on the remap/intercooler/sport cat I planned then till the warranty is up to be honest as that will put my mind at ease a lot more and I’d feel more confident taking it to Honda to be inspected

Ecu info gathering is a bit worrying Tim given some of the other stories that have floated around like "driven hard" and "user error" but hopefully you'll be fine. Regarding changing the gearbox oil i run Amsoil in mine after it coming recommended and improving a notchy 3rd gear in the FD2.

driven hard :D it's a typeR! it's gonna be driven different than the non-typeR versions. also a difference between driven hard and driven with abuse.
user error - back to my point on it being clutch. if clutch issue (which it has done in the past, with warranty claim to prove) reguardless of how you drive may well chew gearbox teeth.

time will tell. a weekend to worry about it till i hear back on clutch parts and warranty accept/deny.

Back