• Registered users are encouraged to enable MFA/2FA to add an aditional layer of security to their account. More information can be found here: https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/top-tips-for-staying-secure-online/activate-2-step-verification-on-your-email

FK2 FK2 general discussion

You’re wasting your time contesting it .. they will drag it out and the only thing you’ll do is stress yourself out.

Take the hit , fix it and sell it.

Unlucky :(
yep, exactly this. We've all see the reports and the way honda have dealt with it. Chances of any turnaround are slim. Problem is if i sell, what else? nothing really ticks the boxes like the civic does. Lexus is interesting but fuelling a v8 ain't cheap, nismo 370z (and any porsche/lotus) doesn't really work for dog use, and there's nothing german (except porsche) that does it for me. Don't have the room for 2 cars at home so daily&caterham/atom/xbow wouldn't work.
if i look at the bigger picture, the clutch has been the only thing that's reoccured and given me real headaches on this car. get this fixed and hopefully done. Nothing else has really shown up as a weak spot on the FK2/8. to dump it now would feel like admitting defeat with all the time and effort i've spent on it. get this fixed and there's nothing else on my 'weak-link' list.

...would have been more reliable :p
had french, never again. t'was the brand that pushed me to honda years ago.

More reliable than a Honda which has had the clutch replaced and is currently sat with the gearbox out?

thats what i mean - the renault probably would have been to the dealer less than the civic.
to be fair, most of the civic visits were dealer problems and not car but i'm certainly questioning going for honda on 6th car.
i30n is interesting. cant help but think to avoid the first attempt by hyundai but i guess thats the gamble of any new model.

From stories on here and friends experience with the FK2/8 and Honda's attitude, there's no way I'd buy one.

I must admit I do like the i30N, I have looked at them but ideally I need something which can tow a track car.

I don't recommend them now, I'm still relatively new to Hondas and I've lost all confidence in them.

Trade it in for another then Honda would then have to repair your current one under their Honda approved car warranty

From stories on here and friends experience with the FK2/8 and Honda's attitude, there's no way I'd buy one.

Sad to say but I wholeheartedly agree.

My old FK2 is a right state now by all accounts. The crank main oil seal leaks, another oil leak up the top of the block, downpipe blows and the box is squiffy. It's fixable but why should it need to be. Trouble is too, if you use OEM parts and not uprated won't it just break again eventually?

The leather on my steering wheel cracked in my ownership and that was refused on warranty. On a 15 month old car, I mean how can they justify that?

"Race car for the road."

Nah. They'll need to build some bridges before I contemplate another modern day Honda.

My old FK2 is a right state now by all accounts. The crank main oil seal leaks, another oil leak up the top of the block, downpipe blows and the box is squiffy. It's fixable but why should it need to be. Trouble is too, if you use OEM parts and not uprated won't it just break again eventually.

Reminds me of my old Evo.

That's what I like about my FD2, just add fuel, tyres, brakes (and occasionally oil!).

never had a problem on my 27.000km fk2. Only services and 4 new tyres and brake pads.
I now have flashpro for 2 months and the car runs really good with a map made by me.

I heard of someone who had done over 100k miles in one with no issues, it seems to be that quite a few are ok however Honda are acting in such a dissatisfactory manner with the ones that do encounter issues that it will always generate more noise and rightfully so, as has been mentioned this was billed by Honda as “a race car for the road” and the issues that have appeared shouldn’t be occurring in a vehicle that was supposedly built to handle the rigours of track days and whatnot, really sad as I thought nothing could shake my love of the brand but it’s leaving a really sour taste in my mouth and I haven’t had any issues (yet)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

i'm not excusing honda by any means but this is the first denial i've had. been fine up now.
car has only shown a clutch weakness for me. The rest of the mechanical stuff has been pretty solid.

shame this denial is such a big shitty one that shouldn't occur :( It'd have otherwise been a typical honda for me without the clutch/gearbox issue.

silver lining is i'm 3 days out of warranty. The car is free for me to do as i wish now. shame i'll have no money to do as i wish with it but that's another issue all together! it's tied me on a lot of options i had planned next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
i'm not excusing honda by any means but this is the first denial i've had. been fine up now.
car has only shown a clutch weakness for me. The rest of the mechanical stuff has been pretty solid.

shame this denial is such a big shitty one that shouldn't occur It'd of otherwise been a typical honda for me without the clutch/gearbox issue.

silver lining is i'm 3 days out of warranty. The car is free for me to do as i wish now. shame i'll have no money to do as i wish with it but thats another issue all together! it's tied me on a lot of options i had planned next year.

At least you’re seeing the positives in what’s otherwise a negative situation, I know from what I’ve seen/read I shan’t be extending my warranty, what are your options with the gearbox wear?

2 options really. leave it and re-assemble (no doubt labour charged for gearbox strip) or replace the damaged items. Parts are circa £350 for 1st/2nd synchro and £150 for 2nd gear. labour will make the rest up so around £1000 - seems to be 10hours work as my dealer charges £100/h.

side from the fact its barely 3yr old, if you knock off the price of a clutch replacement (£765 via honda inc parts) it's not really the entire £1500. still not cheap but at least it's extending when i need to change the clutch next (hopefully the Xtreme will last).

2 options really. leave it and re-assemble (no doubt labour charged for gearbox strip) or replace the damaged items. Parts are circa £350 for 1st/2nd synchro and £150 for 2nd gear. labour will make the rest up so around £1000 - seems to be 10hours work as my dealer charges £100/h.

side from the fact its barely 3yr old, if you knock off the price of a clutch replacement (£765 via honda inc parts) it's not really the entire £1500. still not cheap but at least it's extending when i need to change the clutch next (hopefully the Xtreme will last).

That’s somewhat comforting as parts are relatively cheap it’s just the labour which is understandable as it’s a time consuming task, although an entirely unnecessary task as a car of its capabilities and age shouldn’t be having the issue full stop... and you’d somewhat expect the manufacturer to shoulder some responsibility

Hopefully once this is done that’s it issue free for a while if not for the rest of your time owning it so you can get back to enjoying the thing, it is sad to see all these negative experiences owners are having as they’re all quite a passionate bunch, at least from my interactions with other owners anyways!

Hopefully once this is done that’s it issue free for a while if not for the rest of your time owning it so you can get back to enjoying the thing, it is sad to see all these negative experiences owners are having as they’re all quite a passionate bunch, at least from my interactions with other owners anyways!

that's my biggest concern. so far it's only been clutch/gearbox issues that owners are experiencing. i've not seen anything else to be worried about like engine or electrical issues. i'd have thought anything weak would have shown by now.

I think it's clutch side - warranty proven once and symptoms identical the second time. FlyingGato swears it's down to the hydraulic side on his FK8, but i'm not sure. I've spent a fair bit of time working on bleeding the hydraulics and while it's made a difference at times, it's never made a night&day difference when the shift issues were present.

i do have a few unknowns i'd like to have confirmed... tech info from Honda on the slave cylinder travel. This would confirm FlyingGato's thoughts as it would mean affected civics don't have enough travel to fully disengage the clutch.
Also be good to have clutch plate measurements. I'd hope to see an obvious issue with the clutch kit pieces if there was a fault but could be such a small detail that only a vernier gauge may pickup.

I think i'm going to ask dealer for all old parts they replace to be put in the boot. at least I'll be more satisfied with things than i am now. maybe take a trip over to the dealer tomorrow and eyeball it myself.

Will be interesting to see what you dig up from it all, see if you can really pin it down.

Back